Joe Austin
msg tools
Example... Can I use the Distraction basic action on my opponent's attacker before I declare my blockers?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but there's little reason to anyway. Simply leave them unblocked, and then use Distraction after blockers are declared.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leftyjoe74 wrote:
Example... Can I use the Distraction basic action on my opponent's attacker before I declare my blockers?


Just to be a little more precise about the terminology, the non-active player can never use a basic action on his opponent's turn, as the only dice he could have in his reserve would be energy when his turn ends. You are referring to using a global ability on the Distraction card, presumably having a [Mask] energy to spend in your reserve. As this global ability isn't a reaction, it can only be used by the non-active player in the Attack Step after attackers and blockers are assigned, and after the active player has used any actions or global abilities he wants to use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn ely
msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
No, but there's little reason to anyway. Simply leave them unblocked, and then use Distraction after blockers are declared.


An example would be BW: Tsarina vs. Distraction.

Attacker assigns Black Widow to attack, defender uses the global from Distraction to remove Black Widow from being an attacker. Does Black Widow's ability trigger?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does. As soon as BW is declared as an attacker she is considered "attacking" and deals 2 damage. Her ability would trigger before blocker's are assigned because it's "when black widow attacks".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryyder wrote:
Yes it does. As soon as BW is declared as an attacker she is considered "attacking" and deals 2 damage. Her ability would trigger before blocker's are assigned because it's "when black widow attacks".

Along the same lines, if you used a character that has a "when blocks" ability such as Beast, his ability still triggers even though you used Distraction to get rid of whatever he was blocking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1havok12 wrote:
Along the same lines, if you used a character that has a "when blocks" ability such as Beast, his ability still triggers even though you used Distraction to get rid of whatever he was blocking.


But couldn't you use Distraction in the Main Step, thus preventing say Beast from even declaring as blocker (though opponent gets to pick the targets)? If character X can't block this turn, he can't declare as blocker and then "bounce back" to not block, can he?

While on the subject of Distraction, is there any point in having 2x to use same turn? Say opponent has 4 characters (1-4), he picks 1 and 2 for Distraction 1, could he then target 1 and 2 for D2? So best to use D1 in the Main Step and D2 in the Attack Step?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
1havok12 wrote:
Along the same lines, if you used a character that has a "when blocks" ability such as Beast, his ability still triggers even though you used Distraction to get rid of whatever he was blocking.


But couldn't you use Distraction in the Main Step, thus preventing say Beast from even declaring as blocker (though opponent gets to pick the targets)? If character X can't block this turn, he can't declare as blocker and then "bounce back" to not block, can he?

While on the subject of Distraction, is there any point in having 2x to use same turn? Say opponent has 4 characters (1-4), he picks 1 and 2 for Distraction 1, could he then target 1 and 2 for D2? So best to use D1 in the Main Step and D2 in the Attack Step?


The Basic Action Distraction (as opposed to the global ability on the Distraction card) reads the following: "Your opponent targets two of his or her characters. Those characters cannot block (this turn)". There's nothing there that says the characters must have previously been able to block, so you are certainly correct in thinking that your opponent could target the same two characters for 2 separate Distraction actions.

You are right that you can use Distraction during the Main Step to prevent Beast from ever declaring to block. In fact, in order for Distraction to work, it must be used during the Main Step, that's the only time you can use it. The action window during the attack step is after the assign blockers phase, so at that point it would be too late. Distraction is useless during the Attack Step.

So no, I don't think it could ever work to use two Distractions. Perhaps you could use Force Beam, kill 2 lower level Beasts, then Distract the other 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that (Distraction not working in the Attack Step) was my reading of the text too, but wasn't 100% on calling out 1havok12 on a wrong interpretation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Austin
msg tools

I played two games with a friend last night and lost both games to a Webslinger Spiderman. Both of us spent the games building up our armies and as soon as he'd field Spiderman, the game was over (he'd force all 10 of my guys to block Spidey). I suppose I'm looking for a way to deal with him. I can't stop Spidey from attacking but I thought if I removed him after my opponent declares his attackers, that I wouldn't have to block him per his special ability. This all being said, is there a way to stop Webslinger once he's been fielded?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leftyjoe74 wrote:

I played two games with a friend last night and lost both games to a Webslinger Spiderman. Both of us spent the games building up our armies and as soon as he'd field Spiderman, the game was over (he'd force all 10 of my guys to block Spidey). I suppose I'm looking for a way to deal with him. I can't stop Spidey from attacking but I thought if I removed him after my opponent declares his attackers, that I wouldn't have to block him per his special ability. This all being said, is there a way to stop Webslinger once he's been fielded?
Storm Wind-Rider does a wonderful job of reducing the opposing player's build up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As you have found out, once webslinger is fielded its too late.

If webslinger is in the game then you need to be making efforts to control the amount of fielded characters. Make more attacks, use globals to force his characters to attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.