7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Kids these days and their newfangled co-op combat games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ghoest McLellan
Canada
flag msg tools
I've noticed a few squad based cooperative games crop up on Kickstarter with splashy BGG banner ads. Games like Galaxy Defenders.

It's interesting... you can avoid the heated exchanges that can flare at combat elimination games and avoid disenfrachising a political group emulated in these games. On the other hand I feel like it's frustrating to play one of these games "against the game system itself". Like your going to eat your own skull (ya, I'm not the fondest but other people's MMV).

What are other geek's thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it's nice to play with people rather than against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
I have no idea what you mean by avoiding disenfranchising a political group.

I think squad-based, co-op games are cool. Space Hulk Death Angel was good for a few plays, Sentinels of the Multiverse, even Arkham Horror. It sucks when the optimal plays are so simple and everything comes down to luck of the dice or the draw, but that's just bad design, not something innate to co-op.

For me, competitive games are a lot like Street Fighter and other fighting video games; if you really, really love the underlying mechanics, or the psychological aspects of it, it'll be great. If the gameplay is anything less than scintillating, then I'm just wasting my time. I play chess because it's fun to get better at chess. I don't play Ticket to Ride terribly often because it's not.

So yeah, bring on all the co-op games, as long as they're not easily solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghoest McLellan
Canada
flag msg tools
Escapade wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by avoiding disenfranchising a political group.

Games where you have say Japanese versus French. Or religious extremists versus corporates.

This kinda thing can hurt feelings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Baron
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me some co-op games, solely for the reason that I'm actually able to get people playing the game. I play with a few casuals who are reluctant to try anything outside of a comfort zone. I had to ween them off Cards Against Humanity (when I first moved here, was invited to their games night - arrived, Cards against Humanity for two hours...yuuuup.) and am slowly getting them into other games, like The Resistance, Dixit, etc.

It's nice to be able to kind of dive into a game, explain the base rules, and then be able to help them out when they have questions without having to look through their hands, or advise them as to best actions to take, and why. Or to ask them what they think they should do and then make suggestions, etc.

Plus, I don't get targeted by EVERYTHING. I can't win a game of The Resistance because everyone I taught it to ALWAYS thinks I'm the spy. We've played about ten times, and I think I've been the spy once. No one will accuse anyone else, but the rest of the resistance distrusts me...hah.

It's always nice to win/lose as a group. I think coop games are a great way to introduce casuals to new rules, mechanics and start building the type of knowledge base that is needed for heavier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) taught me a major rule of solitaire gaming: sometimes, the game is ridiculously stacked against you. When I would first play this game, I would get extraordinarily frustrated as the enemy stomped me and my strategies were ignored by dicerolls.

As I learned more and more, many solitaire games are about the experience. "Will I make it this time?" becomes less about strategy and more about the narrative that arises. In most zombie media, the zombies win so in DotZ, it's pretty thematic.

I am so happy to have learned this lesson. For one thing, I'd probably not be enjoying the heck out of Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island right now (a game that's stacked against you, but not quite like DotZ). For another, it helps make solitaire (and co-op) games into one of my core definitions of what a good game is: A good game must be fun even if you lose. If you can laugh about the stomping you just took, whether from an AI or a human, then you've got a much healthier sense of self and games of all sorts will be much more fulfilling.

In terms of co-op, I've found that most co-ops have fallen flat for me. Gears of War Boardgame with my bro is an awesome bonding experience (15+ year age difference), even more than competitive games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play mostly with my kids or the in-law's kids and its much nicer in my opinion to be playing all as one team instead of Dad vs. everyone else. The girls (that's right, and they love Wrath of Ashardalon) like Dad on their team instead of against them.I mean, they like Super Dungeon Explore too, but they were very excited to hear about the co-op vs game variant that's coming out since the latest SDE Kickstarter.

I like them because it forces players to completely cooperate, not like playing Warhammer 40k (slowly getting out of it) where I could give you advice, but we're playing against each other, so I should only help you so much. I also like Co-op because most times they have a solo variant or are very solo-play friendly and there will be a time when you want to play a game and there won't be anyone else to play with (the main reason I'm getting out of Warhammer 40k for solo-possible games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.