Subject: paying off shares. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete M

Blacksburg
Virginia
msg tools
mb
For some reason when I started playing ROTW, my group had it in our heads that shares could be paid off. Makes for a completely different game. Does anyone know where our rather significant rule mistake came from? Perhaps another game with a similar concept or a variant of some sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
pmacedo wrote:
For some reason when I started playing ROTW, my group had it in our heads that shares could be paid off. Makes for a completely different game. Does anyone know where our rather significant rule mistake came from? Perhaps another game with a similar concept or a variant of some sort?

Some cards in some of the expansions allow you to sell them back. But even then, the sell-off is limited.

As to other games that have this mechanic, could be any number of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
STEAM has a mechanic where VP can be allocated to increasing income (essentially removing debt) or increasing VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Railways of the World: Event Deck includes a few events that allow payoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Some cards in some of the expansions allow you to sell them back. But even then, the sell-off is limited.

Which expansions Brian? I've yet to come across that and now you've got me curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Which expansions Brian? I've yet to come across that and now you've got me curious.

As Ian pointed out, the Event deck definitely has them. I thought the same cards appeared in 1 or 2 other expansions. But it might be that we were playing the event deck in those expansion games as well.

Top row, 3rd card from the left, "Bond Buyback" allows you to pay to get rid of up to 3 shares/bonds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian. Ian's post wasn't visible when I replied even though it was posted before me. (opened this in a tab and didn't get to it until later)

My Event Deck is still in shrink so that would explain my unfamiliarity.

Definitely hasn't popped up in any of the operation cards we've played to date and I've got all the expansions apart from The Western US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Definitely hasn't popped up in any of the operation cards we've played to date and I've got all the expansions apart from The Western US.

I just double-checked my spreadsheet and don't see it in any of the operation cards. So we must have just being using the Event deck several times on different maps. Our group has bastardized (in a good way despite the connotation) this game so much, I don't know what is official and what isn't anymore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use the Event Deck, ColtsFan!
(only exception is when we use the fan-made Military History Event Deck with Railways of Europe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss Trojan wrote:
(only exception is when we use the fan-made Military History Event Deck with Railways of Europe).

I haven't heard of this - is this it?

Rails of Europe Event Card Deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welshmilla wrote:
Boss Trojan wrote:

This is what I've been referencing:

It is a mini expansion that is compatible with any RotW or RRT map.

http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EGL...

Edit: Oh, I see that you were referring to "fan-made Military History Event Deck", my bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew was asking about the fan made Military History deck for RoE Boss Trojan mentioned.

I hadn't heard of it before this either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Andrew was asking about the fan made Military History deck for RoE Boss Trojan mentioned.

Sorry, I just realized that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

Like I said, we have a crapton of changes for this game. We have a "real" North american board and lots of other things. I'll post if I find the pics again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
They were in my gallery.

Before:

Towards the end:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, have you posted a thread in the Variants section covering all the extras you guys play with? If not please do so! RotW is one of our favorite games and have found it benefits greatly from a number of house rules. Always keen to hear how others are approaching it in their games.

Most frequently used in our game are these, but we've certainly rotated in plenty others besides:

- Turn order auction for every position
- Colored discs on score track
- Keep both baron cards until first major line is completed then discard one.
- If both Railroad Executives come out in the initial cards, shuffle one back in. Some we've gamed with even insist on removing these from the game altogether.
- Use pairs of colored tokens to mark end points of major lines
- Use markers for spaces with hotels to remember to pay the extra income earned on deliveries there
- Goods draw preview - Two cubes are taken out and displayed on the bag so it is known in advance what will be produced when Urbanizing or playing a City Growth card. Adds back a tiny bit of the forward strategizing that was a key part of the original Age of Steam gameplay and livens up auctions now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
NuMystic wrote:

- Turn order auction for every position

Should be the base rules
Quote:
- Keep both baron cards until first major line is completed then discard one.

Our variant for this is when you build your 3 train, you discard a baron card. If you finish the game with just a 1 or 2 train, you can score them both.
Quote:
- If both Railroad Executives come out in the initial cards, shuffle one back in. Some we've gamed with even insist on removing these from the game altogether.

Remove altogether. Broken cards.
Quote:
- Goods draw preview - Two cubes are taken out and displayed on the bag so it is known in advance what will be produced when Urbanizing or playing a City Growth card. Adds back a tiny bit of the forward strategizing that was a key part of the original Age of Steam gameplay and livens up auctions now and again.

If I wanted predictability, I'd play Steam. Though, do it the Steam way wouldn't stop me from playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Brian, have you posted a thread in the Variants section covering all the extras you guys play with? If not please do so! RotW is one of our favorite games and have found it benefits greatly from a number of house rules. Always keen to hear how others are approaching it in their games.

Boss Trojan has a better handle on what gets played with this game as most times this gets pushed to the "after hours" group that closes down game night. Having to get up early, I usually miss most of these sessions.

We have the benefit of a published game designer in our group (Alan Ernstein) so he has been the major force in developing the variants. In this particular game, it was a 12-player game where we played in teams of two. One partner started on the East coast and the other on the West. He modified the income track and customized the cards. There were some special rules limiting when we could connect and how we could build off of each other. I think this was tweak 3 or 4 at that point and he had a couple more. But generally, it was a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welshmilla wrote:
Boss Trojan wrote:

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.