Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Per my 3-year-old daughters request, my brother, my daughter, and I decided to quest through the Candy Land to find the castle at the end. I don't know why. But it was there. Maybe we were hungry.

Fortunately, there were only three of us. This is fortunate, because the Blue pawn had decided, in my daughters words, to "run away", and was lost. Not surprising, actually, considering only days before we had found her with the mallets from Don't Break the Ice pounding away at them. The Blue one was the smart one. I don't know why the other Gingerbread men decided to stick around. Perhaps Kortnee (my daughter) struck them on the head a little too hard. In any case, we at least had the chance to play.

Kortnee has also lost some of the cards. Two of the candies, and probably some of the regular squares. Oh well. How to end this quickly? No time to stack the deck... Just play it out, see how it goes. Plus, we are still trying to teach Kortnee how to pay attention to a game, and to follow instructions. I want to move her to heavier games, but she's not quite ready. But I digress.

We started the game as normal, leapfrogging over each other as normal. Got around the first bend, and Sam started taking a lead, with myself close behind. Then, lo and behold, right when I had taken a hefty lead myself, I got a candy... one that was BEHIND me. Drat! Blast! Kortnee giggled and plunged on ahead, and Sam kept jumping forward too. I made some progress, then AGAIN, I get a candy, this time the Gingerbread man, and I'm practically at the start again. Kortnee is having a blast, ans Sam (my brother) is smirking at me. I'll show them.

So I continue plodding along, going slowly because of the dratted cards, when fate smiles upon me, I get the Ice Cream Cone. Suddenly, I'm in the lead. Fortunately, Kortnee is elated, Sam is shocked, and I win a few turns later. We decide to let them go for second place. They are pretty much neck-and-neck. And then Sam gets stuck in the licorice. Poor Sam. However, Kortnee starts getting some "slow" pulls, and Sam almost catches up. Kortnee is a few turns away, but Sam again gets stuck, and Kortnee escapes the land, leaving Sam forever trapped there in his misery.

Watching my daughter have fun with the game was worth it, and making it into more of an "adventure" rather than just dry card pulls make it bearable for us to play, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.