Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: North Jersey/New York City Area? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shibuya Graffiti
msg tools
Anyone here around this area willing to help someone just getting into the hobby? I moved here for work, work in the city live in North Jersey. I'm not too knowledgable, but I am learning and enjoying it and would love to have a few teaching games I could bring some of my own games too! If there are also any fun game shops around let me know? Shoot oer to my mailbox if you'd rather chat via skype or something. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Welcome to the area.

This store has a location in Saddle Brook; check out their game calendar for events:

http://www.gamersgambit.com

This store is in Clifton:

http://www.njgameon.com/#!

As to clubs, Meetup is a good option; there are several open gaming groups in the area, suitable to your interests and exact location. Plus, you may find some in NYC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
There's boardgaming every Friday at:

Time Warp Comics & Games
555 Pompton Ave.
Cedar Grove, NJ 07009
(974) 857-9788

We start around 6pm

Stop by sometime, introduce yourself and join in.

There's also lots of Meetups in the region and several private clubs depending on your interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NYC has the Uncommons (www.uncommonsnyc.com) by the NYU area and Compleat Strategist by Herald Square. Compleat is the game store of NYC, though I personally do not find their staff helpful or fun at all. Uncommons is a game cafe, which is a great place for you to meet people and maybe learn games if you cannot find anyone here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you live in Jersey?

edit:

Also, Steve, tell me about the Time Warp Comics Friday nights. I've never been to one, although I stop by there during the week regularly to pick up my daughter's My Little Pony comics and ogle the games (and, occasionally, buy one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
About 12 years ago I asked if the store would agree to "Open Boardgaming." They agreed and we basically show up and play games from 6pm to ??? (typically 2am).

To be honest I do next to nothing to promote the event and people seem to find it on their own well enough. There are no fees, no email lists, no social sites and no organization. People come if they feel like it, everybody's welcome and the store even has a decent library if your collection is modest.

Just about anything has a chance of being played; card games, euros, ameritrash, wargames, etc. the only thing that doesn't see much play on Friday is CCG or organized play (except for MtG). Time Warp has dedicated events and specific nights for many popular competitive games. Same goes for miniatures due to the required table space - Hence the event is called "Open Boardgaming."

For the last several years we have played alongside Friday Night MtG events. the store is busy, but not insanely so and there is a great selections of games for sale.

I typically show up with 4 - 8 games that I might want to play and so do a bunch of other people. somehow it all works out and we have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shibuya Graffiti
msg tools
epilgrim wrote:
About 12 years ago I asked if the store would agree to "Open Boardgaming." They agreed and we basically show up and play games from 6pm to ??? (typically 2am).

To be honest I do next to nothing to promote the event and people seem to find it on their own well enough. There are no fees, no email lists, no social sites and no organization. People come if they feel like it, everybody's welcome and the store even has a decent library if your collection is modest.

Just about anything has a chance of being played; card games, euros, ameritrash, wargames, etc. the only thing that doesn't see much play on Friday is CCG or organized play (except for MtG). Time Warp has dedicated events and specific nights for many popular competitive games. Same goes for miniatures due to the required table space - Hence the event is called "Open Boardgaming."

For the last several years we have played alongside Friday Night MtG events. the store is busy, but not insanely so and there is a great selections of games for sale.

I typically show up with 4 - 8 games that I might want to play and so do a bunch of other people. somehow it all works out and we have fun

Sounds cool, I'll try to be there tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.