Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Rexroad
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After a couple months of playing, I know now that Netrunner is a different game these days. I enjoy my time with it, and I'd like to play it more. However, it's hard to keep up with it. I wrote a review for it, and I'd like to repost it here.

I've been writing reviews for a short while. One format, I chose, didn't get received as well as I like. To grow from it, I adopted this layout and this is the first result.

Review by JJD.Rexroad – 100.2014

Impression: A rebooted game from 1996? Maybe I should take a look at it.

Overview: What a pleasant surprise. I remember the original game. There are many familiar elements. The new artwork is very different from its original format. Sometimes, the graphics have little influence over how well I like a game. In this case, it was a stellar factor. When the resources, time, and materials are available, this sort of attention to detail can make a difference.

As for the gameplay, I find myself having a hard time remembering how exactly the original game played. Honestly, I can’t tell if any changes had been made to the original mechanics. In a way, my relearning process with it, was like playing a new game for the first time. I treated it as such, and had a fair introduction back into it. Mostly through willing coworkers who also own a copy of the new game.

It’s been a good long while since I’ve seen the first edition version. As for a collectable card game, I’m not sorry about it being around anymore. I had a hard time wanting to invest in it, since I had committed myself to other games at the time. As this latest inception, a Living Card Game, it was pretty easy to place it on my wish list.

Summary: Run as a Hacker, or run the corporation. Pretty easy choices, because the core set has everything you need to play. Deck building a custom deck is an option. If it is something you would be interested in, then there are helpful tips and detailed rules available. I believe I am at that stage now, and will be researching those options.

As the rulebook suggests, learn the game with the starter decks provided in the game box. Playing is the best way to learn, and understand the fundamental parts of a game. I am not as eager to jump in, and experiment anymore with any game. Within this latest edition, I am happy to have paid my dues. Get a grip on how each side of the game operates. Getting into the roots of the game, so to speak.

Four Megacorporation faction decks, and three runner personalities are more than enough to delve into this sort of game. There is plenty of variety. Even for a game that is as self-contained as this one, I can begin to see its replay value. I know of the expansion sets, but have not begun to consider them yet. I may possibly be doing this soon.

Rating this Game: Before I do, I’d to explain my six point system. It’s my system, and giving any game the highest marks is rare. Okay, that’s it. Now onto rating Android Netrunner the Card Game.

Playability: 4 – It felt pretty easy to pick up a working knowledge of the game during play. It seemed like it was quick to incorporate the advanced game concepts and deck strategies. As an old player of the old game, it intrigued me enough to come out from under my rock.

Artwork: 5 – As a freelance illustrator, I do appreciate what the artist done. I also understand what was needed for the graphics layout, and believe the Art Director made some good choices in this product line. I look forward to seeing what else has been put together.

The “Box”: 1 – That thing for delivering this fine product was overkill. It let me down, especially with how little is actually provided with the core product. I’d hope that this was a Line Producer’s decision, and not something that was in the Art Director’s department. As far as this part’s concern, I don’t want it explained as for how and why. I’ll move on, now that I have my copy of the game.

Target Audience: ? – This is a ratable component of a review? I had not considered it before. Sure I understand product branding, but when it comes to games… this one is a hard call to make fairly. If I wanted to talk about a card game of a dystopian future, then yes I can share a rating. However there are few other card games to have compete against a game like this. I would be more interested in finding the group of players I can associate with, rather than be concerned over having a company deliver the kind of game I want. I may reconsider this, and update it later.

Game Experience: 4 – This value is truly dependent on the sort of player I would sit across the table from. Any game could help itself to establish this rating. Especially with its theme. Can I find like-minded players to have fun with? Yes, I did. This rating I believe to be different than one for the Target Audience. I found this game more comfortable, and I was able have fun expressing myself within the scope of the game.

In one of my play sessions, I was able to improvise a jovial take on the game’s corporate role. While playing a corporate deck, I was able to entertain myself and joke about how I was the entry level security guy. As the game evolved, and my opponent started smacking the gameplay out of my deck, then I started playing my role differently. “Oh man, I’m so fired now.”

This was fun. Especially when we started the next game. I picked a new corporate deck to play, “Ehh, I know that when you guys hired me for this job, you didn’t take my resume into account. You should have seen what I was up against in my last job.” Maybe it was annoying to my opponent, but the impression I got was more with the laughs I was hearing. Just maybe I’ve got a few inside jokes established with him, based on this game. “Just Ignore The Resume!” If he reads this, hopefully he got a chuckle from it.

Overall Rating: 2.8 – This would be the raw feel for the game. If I address the Target Audience rating, and properly tackle it, my assessment for this game might be higher. Maybe I should just dismiss it all together. Then a better rating of 3.5 might reflect my feelings attached with this game. Or, I could just punch it up to a solid 4 out of 5.

Clearly I am a fan of the game. I would only seek out other fans of the game. If I heard about somebody expressing interest in the game, I would consider showing it to them. I’d think it would be an enjoyable experience to teach somebody that’s new to the game. The real reward may come from them becoming a fan of the game too.

Thanks for coming by to read my opinion on this game. Stay Safe, and Happy Netrunning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
token_horseman wrote:
I've been writing reviews for a short while. One format, I chose, didn't get received as well as I like. To grow from it, I adopted this layout and this is the first result.

I say this only as a form of constructive criticism, but if I hadn't already played ANR, I'm not sure I would have had any idea about how the game played by your review. I'm not saying a review should have a detailed list of the rules (too many reviews fall into this category, IMHO). But you have to give the reader some basic idea of the game (objective, basic mechanics, etc.). And I'd like to see more of your opinions about those basic aspects of the game. Are they fiddley? Do they relate to the theme? Do they help to make the game exciting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool review - and it points out how "objective" rating systems can easily fall short of accounting for all the things that make a game great, or overblow the impact of things that are ultimately minor compared to the good points (or you wouldn't feel the need to change the "objective" rating of 2.8 so far upwards).

I obviously agree with the higher ratings

Considering the box, it's indeed a tad huge, and has the typical FFG insert that isn't actually useful for a huge lot. Personally, I've kept the box anyway and am now keeping my entire collection of Netrunner cards in there. With two of each expansion plus three core sets, that makes sleeved cards both factions (runner and corporation) just about fill two boxes. I fear I'll have to start using the third soon, that'll make the runner-corp-divide much less intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing Netrunner a few weeks ago and yeah, it's great in every way.

Dude, why are you rating the box? It has nothing to do with playing the game. Keep the cards in something else and recycle it... it's just a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Dude, why are you rating the box? It has nothing to do with playing the game. Keep the cards in something else and recycle it... it's just a box.

I own over 1000 games. I store them in the box...except for LCGs, which both have a box not meant for that purpose (not an insert built for it anyway) and eventually the system outgrows that storage if you were to use it.

That being said, look at deck builders alone; their boxes have all at least made an attempt to store the game. FFG has never done that, though the LCGs do have their roots in CCGs turned LCGs, so I've always thought of the box as overwrought advertising for systems they assume players will store in their own way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
token_horseman wrote:
Target Audience: ? – This is a ratable component of a review? I had not considered it before.

Then why are you including it in your review?

token_horseman wrote:
Sure I understand product branding, but when it comes to games… this one is a hard call to make fairly. If I wanted to talk about a card game of a dystopian future, then yes I can share a rating. However there are few other card games to have compete against a game like this. I would be more interested in finding the group of players I can associate with, rather than be concerned over having a company deliver the kind of game I want. I may reconsider this, and update it later.

Especially when your "rating" in that "category" is rambling and incoherent? Seriously, I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.