Mechwarrior: Dark Age» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question to Closed Combat and two other things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Steiner
Germany
flag msg tools
I hope you can answer my questions.

After pausing the game for ten years, I recently played the game with a friend. There came up some questions to the game rules and I hope someone can help me.

Closed Combat
Is it possible to join a closed combat? I attacked his Mech with three infantries. Would it be possible that his repair vehicle could join the closed combat in advanced to repair his Mech?

Repair
After the sucessful repair, do I have to make an attempt to break away as it would be in normal closed combat with an enemy unit?

Movement Formations
Do I have to make an attempt to break away after grouping my units to a formation? Or is it only important when my movement formation is in closed combat. In my opinion it isn't logical for a movement formation only..

Thank you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you conduct a close combat, it is against one specific enemy unit (which all your attacking units in a formation must be in base contact with). Other enemy units can't "assist" the target of your attack, even if they are also in base contact with the intended target.

You never need to attempt a break-away roll to move away from your own (friendly) units, only from enemy units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Steiner
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you Lance McMillan for your reply!

I don't really understand your sentence: "Other enemy units can't "assist" the target of your attack, even if they are also in base contact with the intended target." ->Can you add more information to the example?

"When you conduct a close combat, it is against one specific enemy unit (which all your attacking units in a formation must be in base contact with)"

Does it mean that in an attack formation like in the picture below. It would not be possible to get an attack bonus (of +2 Attack per attack formation member) to any of my Infantries (green) while attacking one of the enemies? So it would be a duel between e.g. the two Infantries in the middle (red and green) only? Without bonuses?

My question to the repair scenario is not yet being answered.
So my general question is: Under which circumstances is it allowed to repair a unit?

Is it allowed to repair a unit while the unit is under attack in closed combat? This question would also cover my question if it is allowed for a tank to do a ranged attack while he is in closed combat with a friendly repair vehicle only..

Depending on your answer to the question above, my next question could be irrelevant:
Is it possible that a unit joins a closed combat?

In this scenario I attacked a Mech with two Infantries. So the question if the repair unit is allowed to repair the Mech is covered in the question above but in general, is a third party allowed to join a closed combat later? Is there maybe a position where the unit has to join or is it not relevant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In your first illustration no formation close combat would be possible as each unit is only in base-to-base contact with a single enemy unit. To be eligible to conduct a formation close combat ALL the attacking units must, individually, be in base-to-base contact with the intended target.

In your second illustration the two green infantry could close combat the orange mech, and the orange repair vehicle could subsequently go in and repair the mech. In the next turn, if a third green unit could get into base-to-base contact with the orange mech it could then participate in a formation close combat attack -- the presence of the orange repair vehicle would not be relevant to the situation (aside from it potentially being positioned in such a way to make it difficult for other green units to get into base-to-base contact with the orange mech).

Does that clarify things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Wizkidding
msg tools
This might help you out. The rules on the Special Ability card for Repair are (partially):

"This unit may use a close combat order targeting a friendly unit to repair it. Neither unit may be in base contact with an opposing unit."

So, in your first question, the opponent's vehicle could not Repair the Mech because there are opposing units (yours) in contact with it.

AS far as the graphics scenario you point out, all the units "assisting" in an attack must be in base contact with the unit being attacked. In your picture there is only 1 Green unit in base contact with 1 Red unit at a time. So you could not give any of them a bonus, since they could only attack the one unit they are in base contact with (the one directly across from them in your graphic).

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Wizkidding
msg tools
D'oh.... Sorry Lance McMillan. Was trying to help and didn't see you got there first. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NoWizkidding wrote:
D'oh.... Sorry Lance McMillan. Was trying to help and didn't see you got there first. lol

Nope, no problem -- and after examining the SEC, you're right: no repair is possible if the mech is based by the green units (shows what happens when you go from memory rather than actually looking it up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Steiner
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for you help. Now every questions has been answered. The next battle can begin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls