6 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Variants

Subject: Theokoles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
s russ
msg tools
Hi there
First of all must say Spartacus is a great game and have had many enjoyable sessions of it.
But saying that one card has always stood out as needing modification and that is THEOKOLES.
In the programme as in his character profile on the internet he is such an awesome Gladiator
In the game good but not a 5* this is because he lacks additional rules unlike just about everyone else
What do others do about this I can see several options and was wondering what others think
1 Keep as is
2Increase speed to 3
3 Allow atk stat or def stat to take hits but not be downed (like certain gladiator with speed stat)tokeep him going longer
4 Give him a saving throw when hit such as 5/6 to ignore wound (could even use die on lost stat to see which attributes kept)
5 or even allow him to ignore any damage effects until hes wounded ( or even dead) this last would be very powerful but in keeping with his back story
6 Or any other ideas appectated

Thanks for any input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Keep as is
In our games Theo wins a fair share of fights even against top tier gladiators. Give him a net or a trident and my money's on his victory.

edit: I should mention that we use the blue dice variant for initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Albo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hey, we give him a special ability. That let him reroll all DEF "1".

we like it know. he is much stronger but not too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
mbmbmb
this also annoys me. without a modification he is clearly inferior to all other 5 coin gladiators (and maybe even some of the 4 coin gladiators)

and from the show we know this shouldn't be like this. also, it annoys me that oenomaus has absolutely no advantage vs him since he negates nothing, which again doesn't make sense according to the show.

those 2 things could be fixed by giving him a nice ability. and i think it should be based on his defense

I like the sugestion to reroll the 1s

other stuff i have thought about, but didnt get to test yet are:

- ignore 1 wound per round (i think this one is probably too powerfull, if it looks like it in testing it could be reduced to ignore the 1st wound, or first 2 wounds

- may reroll all defense dice (once per round)

- defense triples allow for recovering one lost dice (to give an incentive to players to keep up his defense dice

and one that would be very thematic, but might make combat too long..

theokoles starts the fight as a 3/3/2 gladiator. if at any point he is reduced to less than 3 dice that rounds stops, theokoles becomes a 5/5/2 and wins initiative on the next round
(against oenomaus this ability would be canceled and theokoles would just be a 5/5/2 from the beginning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
mbmbmb
ahah! the new theokoles comes back sometimes

I think I still like mine more though in the show he is clearly losing on purpose and was much weaker than when he "comes back"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Maliński
Poland
Gliwice
flag msg tools
In my opinion the problem of Theo is in the Combat mechanics. The SPD dice are too much important, especially if the experienced Players are playing. You can see how 3-1-3 Glad is extremely superior to the 3-2-2 or 2-3-2 ones due to what I call is a SPD exploit. I do not believe that by giving Theo some powerful ability we can fix him as long as the SPD exploit is in power. Therefore, I am very glad that Game designers have increased his SPD to 3 in coming expansion. This alone might make him more formidable in the Combat.

Alternatively we can try to do something to lower the SPD dice superiority. The most simple solution which comes to my mind is a minor change in the Combat rules: during the round a Combatant has one move and one attack and giving initiative to the other player only force him to use his move. In other words If Combatant moves and do not Attack due to range limitations he does not lose his Attack this round and still can perform it if at the End of The round his opponent come into his attack range.

For example Slower (2 SPD) Glad fights Faster (3 SPD) Glad and the distance between them is more than 2 hexes. The Faster obviously wins the initiative roll and give the first move to the Slower. The Slower move towards his opponent, but not close enough to perform an attack. Now the Faster one comes to the Slower and Attacks him. Normally, the Slower Glad cannot do anything now and the Round ends, but in proposed modification the Slower Glad can now perform an Attack on Faster but after him (move and attack in sequence has higher priority than move and wait for opportunity).

However, in situation which at the beginning of the round both Glads are adjacent to each other and the Faster one wins, attacks and moves beyond movement range of the Slower, the Slower Glad can move but cannot perform the Attack.

I think, this way we can slightly reduce the power of the SPD dice making combat less predictable and we do not totally sacrifice a tactical advantage of the Speed. It also makes Theo less inferior to the faster Glads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.