Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here was the situation: I was playing the US and played NATO as an event. It was my understanding that the event did not allow the USSR player to make Coup or Realignment rolls in any US controlled countries in Europe for the rest of the game. My opponent argued that the card effects did not last beyond that particular turn and did not carry over to the next turn. To which I argued that the Vietnam/Afghanistan events carried over from turn to turn. Additionally I pointed out that NATO itself is still in effect.

In the end we played it that way I initially suggested because to play it the other way would literally make it a free 4 point event for USSR with only brief consequences. Additionally, Warsaw Pact is worth 1 point less than NATO and is more devastating. Did we play it right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NATO remains in effect for the rest of the game, hence the marker that comes with it. Check the Rulebook section 7.3 Permanent Events:

Quote:
7.3 Permanent Events: Some Event cards have an underlined title, e.g. Flower Power. This indicates that the effects of these Events last for the duration of the game. When such cards are played as Events, place them to the side of the map, or place their markers on the Turn Track, as a reminder of their ongoing effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
NATO remains in effect for the rest of the game, hence the marker that comes with it. Check the Rulebook section 7.3 Permanent Events:

Quote:
7.3 Permanent Events: Some Event cards have an underlined title, e.g. Flower Power. This indicates that the effects of these Events last for the duration of the game. When such cards are played as Events, place them to the side of the map, or place their markers on the Turn Track, as a reminder of their ongoing effects.

Perfectly stated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
to play it the other way would literally make it a free 4 point event for USSR with only brief consequences.

Oh, it's still that, just without the brief part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yigit Yurt
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A small reminder that probably you know; Brush War card is also can not be used by the USSR player to European country when NATO effect is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least Special Relationship makes NATO annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
positivelyrob wrote:
At least Special Relationship makes NATO annoying.

Yes, this is the true effect of NATO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.