Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Eikermann
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the game twice now, both with four players. Each game has left me contemplating multiple approaches to scoring and action selection efficiency. I loved the two games and I am eager to keep exploring this richly strategic game.

That being said, there are no threads here that discuss strategic options in the game. I suspect that this is because it is a relatively new game and only arrived stateside recently.

So . . .

What is your favorite strategy so far?
What is your least favorite strategy?
Do you focus on a single area of scoring or balance your approach?
What strategies seem inferior to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a testament to how excellent this game is that I can't really give an answer to any of that. My first thoughts, when I started to think on strategy, was to go for Region 2, which has the action of moving guys into the cities + getting bread to keep the workers fed. Region 1 seemed weak - transfer guys to the colonies and earn some resources and possibly a (very) few VPs. Next game I might try and devote more attention to Region 3. Getting guys into the City Watch and having the flexibility to use pirate dice, as well as possibly get 4VPs per turn, + the ability to keep re-using your guildfolk could be strong, particularly if you've bought some strong guildfolk. Of course, Region 3 does require 3s on the dice and could be that little bit more difficult to use as a result.

That's just thinking about the situation when presented with the empty board. You then have the additional complexity of selecting the appropriate guild row (do you need the best dice? Which Favour do you need - is turn order critical? - which Guild needs flipping?) plus what is the state of the board? Are many desirable colony and trade route slots occupied? Which guilds are available for purchase? And are those 4 elusive Characters you wish to use, in the right buildings to fit a strategy?!

This is not an exhaustive list of the considerations, which make any attempt to devise even an outline strategy difficult. That may be why there have been so few posts on the subject so far!

Awesome game. I'll be looking for responses to this thread with interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen multiple approaches win. I think the one constant is to not ignore the guild tiles for their bonuses. That seems obvious, but it seems to me that the person who best manipulates those will win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game about 6 times now and my favorite strategy so far has been to focus on getting guys into region 2 for bread and the center for wood and then harvesting and building and maintaining ships to focus on the ship favors.

I've also enjoyed getting guys into region 3 and then focusing on the guild favors and using and flipping the guild tiles for their effects through the building action in region 3.

There are SO MANY strategies here though and, for me, they really depend on what kind of favor tile I get at the beginning of the game.

I love this game so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eikermann
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
It's a testament to how excellent this game is that I can't really give an answer to any of that.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Everything is so seamlessly integrated. It feels like every decision impacts at least one other aspect of the game. I love these interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eikermann
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:

There are SO MANY strategies here though and, for me, they really depend on what kind of favor tile I get at the beginning of the game.

I agree! I think that is what makes the game so interesting. You can't decide on a strategy before you sit at the table. You must evaluate the starting conditions (ie character placement) and short term goals (king's requests) and at the same time develop a long term strategy.

So good!

How about tactics? What is your favorite tactic to employ?

My favorite is probably buying a guild favor in a city that someone else is obviously competing for majority in to open up more districts to the right for workers to move into. Sometimes you have to take a less than ideal guild favor, but it forces your opponents to devote more energy into maintaining their majority in the city, hopefully opening up action spaces elsewhere on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite openings is to start with one worker in region 3 and with the first action adding two more. Then in the first two rounds gathering a lot of resources with the harvest action and selling them to the market. it helps getting a lot of points with two Crown's Request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.