BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I need some games that play in under an hour.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristin Gamecaurless
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love games - the bigger the better. I just posted a thread for recommendations and fell in love with some of the recommendations. But almost all my favorite games are long to very long. Eldritch Horror, Mage Wars, Yedo, Seasons, Trajan. And some now that are high on my wish list - Battle CON, Descent 2.0, Caverna.

I am in nursing school and increasingly short on time which means that the games that are hitting the table the most often are Ascension and Marvel Legendary. I like those games a lot but I need some more to fill this hole that I will like. My long suffering husband likes King of Tokyo and Roborally and Small World but those aren't my cup of tea. What are some 2 player games to fit the hour long itch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Gamecaurless
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thunderstone? Race for the Galaxy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation and Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game whistle

(Google Keldon AI to try out Race for the Galaxy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian L
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always get in a couple of games of Star Realms. Perfect if you like Ascension!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like Battle Line & Race for the Galaxy. Both play under a hour and can have some deep strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah ...
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if these will all interest you but these are games my husband and I like to play that take about 45 minutes to an hour

Atlantis Rising
The Castles of Burgundy
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
any of the dungeons and dragons games: Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, or Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
Elder Sign
Firenze
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Jaipur ... this one is closer to half an hour
Lords of Waterdeep
Takenoko
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
Via Appia

and a couple that could run closer to 90 minutes but just really depends on how the game goes:
Agents of SMERSH
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
BauMeister wrote:
You can always get in a couple of games of Star Realms. Perfect if you like Ascension!

This.

Others to look at:
- Aliens: This Time It's War (30-45mins)
- Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League (45mins)
- Eminent Domain (40mins with two)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Steam Park Frenzied dice rolling with thoughtful tile building. About 45 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line - You could probably get at least 2 games played in an hour. It's a brilliant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to prefer 2 player games in my house, and the quick ones get the most play.

I already thumbed the Star Realms posts but I'm posting too just to reinforce the point. That is a terrific little game, plays very fast, sets up and tears down quickly, and is similar to Ascension but is also like a knife fight in a phone booth.

With a little more space and time (and some willingness to spend/hunt/trade) you may also enjoy the BattleCON games. We like Devastation of Indines very much and lately mostly play that or Star Realms. Both are fast, both are perfect for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Suburbia: Just short of an hour after a couple plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut grove
Splendor
Peloponnes
Bora bora

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
ds3272 wrote:
We tend to prefer 2 player games in my house, and the quick ones get the most play.

I already thumbed the Star Realms posts but I'm posting too just to reinforce the point. That is a terrific little game, plays very fast, sets up and tears down quickly, and is similar to Ascension but is also like a knife fight in a phone booth.

With a little more space and time (and some willingness to spend/hunt/trade) you may also enjoy the BattleCON games. We like Devastation of Indines very much and lately mostly play that or Star Realms. Both are fast, both are perfect for 2 player.

Two of my favorites! I've also been enjoying a lot of Pixel Tactics and Omen: A Reign of War. These travel well and are easy to setup, teach, and play and offer a lot of depth of strategy.

Good luck on the hunt! Hope you find some good ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges is a quick game that my husband and I enjoy. We just received our copy of Among the Stars, so we've only played it twice, but it's looking like it might become another of our under-an-hour favs.

Also, +1 Race for the Galaxy
+1 Suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Argiro
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Escape, The Curse of the Temple. Which is held to a strict 15 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of recommendations for Battle Line. I have to agree.

Also, Rivals for Catan is another that plays slightly longer, but well under an hour, closer to 30 mins once you've played it. Nice thing is it comes with 3 'expansions', really different options to change up how hard it is or how much conflict there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwickles wrote:
I love games - the bigger the better. I just posted a thread for recommendations and fell in love with some of the recommendations. But almost all my favorite games are long to very long. Eldritch Horror, Mage Wars, Yedo, Seasons, Trajan. And some now that are high on my wish list - Battle CON, Descent 2.0, Caverna.

I am in nursing school and increasingly short on time which means that the games that are hitting the table the most often are Ascension and Marvel Legendary. I like those games a lot but I need some more to fill this hole that I will like. My long suffering husband likes King of Tokyo and Roborally and Small World but those aren't my cup of tea. What are some 2 player games to fit the hour long itch?

I think BattleCON: Devastation of Indines is great for filling your needs. Tons of game, perfect for 2, and can easily play multiple rounds or a match in less than an hour once you're familiar with the game play. If you don't have much time, you can quickly set up and do just one round. The theme & feel is great, but lots of depth. Plus, the remastered War of Indines is on Kickstarter now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Horoszowski
United States
Pleasantville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If cooperatives are ok then 2 player Pandemic might fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
- Citadels
- Monopoly deal (plays in 5-10 minutes. Very light very luck driven but a nice warm up while waiting for people to show up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
Agreement on a couple: Jaipur and Battle Line.

Real Time games are always good. A brand new one that my group enjoys that takes just over 45 min is Damage Report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cold War: CIA vs KGB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.