Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How do you open your wargames?
Rip it open the moment it lands at your front door
Take it inside and open it on the nearest desk/table, not caring who might be there
Wait until everyone is out of your home so you can open it in complete silence without being disturbed
Leave it in it's shipping box for a few days so the game can acclimatize
Take it out of it's shipping container and put it on the top of your pile of unopened games
Other
      298 answers
Poll created by Hungadunga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A certain amount of collateral damage is, sorry to say, unavoidable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the package inside, then ... Open. Punch. Sort. Bag.

Only then do I find room on the bookshelf (Who am I kidding? BookshelVES) until I can the get rules read.

I'm also a rules purist. I generally only read the rules the first time from the in-game manual. After I've played a time or two, THEN I'll put the living rules on my iPad and read the updated version. There's something about having the bound rules in my hand while reading that connects me with the game more than reading the virtual updated rules.

Errata be damned! I'm going to play this sucker poorly anyway so I'm getting the full error-filled experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a fingernail. On the table in the front room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With me teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the privacy of my games room, late at night when no one is around, with a glass of single malt. Leaf through the rules, examine the counters, unfold the maps and admire them. Then back in the box piled on top of all the other unplayed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always number two. And I never care who is around as my nearest table is in my mancave (those of you who are married you know what I mean! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am truly stunned that I am the only person who has ticked the 'acclimatize' box.

What's wrong with you people.

Games have feelings too. They need to be treated with at least the same care you would give a newly born.

I have a several boxes in my 'new game arrival room' that are lined with blankets and have a soft pillow on the bottom of the box.

It is important that the new game be placed in a box by itself. You don't want it to catch any nasty infections bacteria from other games. You don't really know where they have been.

I like to leave them there for a few days, not only to acclimatize, but also to recover from any jet lag. Personally I always insist that my games be shipped from east to west in order to reduce the effects of jet lag.

I also have a dehumidifier keeping the room at a constant low level of humidity.

When each game has had a week to acclimatize I normally switch on the mood lighting and play soft music, of an appropriate type, as I firstly put on my surgical gloves and then slowly and lovingly remove the packaging.

It is important to take your time with this process so as not to startle the game or its components. It is, after all, its first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You call that a knife? This is a knife!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they are always going to be played on VASSAL with the Living rules sometimes I don't even open the shipping container. Though I did with Blood and Roses recently because of a scare about dicked up counters for bad die cutting, they were fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
I am truly stunned that I am the only person who has ticked the 'acclimatize' box.

Games have feelings too. They need to be treated with at least the same care you would give a newly born.

I have a several boxes in my 'new game arrival room' that are lined with blankets and have a soft pillow on the bottom of the box.

It is important that the new game be placed in a box by itself. You don't want it to catch any nasty infections bacteria from other games. You don't really know where they have been.

I like to leave them there for a few days, not only to acclimatize, but also to recover from any jet lag. Personally I always insist that my games be shipped from east to west in order to reduce the effects of jet lag.

I also have a dehumidifier keeping the room at a constant low level of humidity.

When each game has had a week to acclimatize I normally switch on the mood lighting and play soft music, of an appropriate type, as I firstly put on my surgical gloves and then slowly and lovingly remove the packaging.

It is important to take your time with this process so as not to startle the game or its components. It is, after all, its first time.

I hate to say it, but David is right blush

After I bought a really tough and complex game, I was awakened in the middle of the night by a series of loud crashes. I jumped out of bed, grabbed my baseball bat, and moved swiftly (and silently) into my mancave, the source of all the noise. I flipped on the light and found nothing. Then, I opened the closet door and there on the floor were all my other games. And alone, on the shelf above them all, lay Carrier.
When I cleaned up the next day, I could not help but notice that all of my Axis and Allies naval units had been snapped in half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attention! Chat lunatique!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box lies on the porch, sunning itself in the blissful joy of finding a new home. Inside lies the treasure itself -- a new wargame. Little does it know that life is going to take a sudden, savage turn.

I fade back into the shadows. Quick check out the window: the neighbors are still at work and will be there for another five hours. No traffic on the streets. A bird chirps innocently from the lilac next to the door. Time for me to get to work.

From the back of a closet comes the black bag that NO ONE is allowed to touch. A quiet zzzip and it's open. I grab the midnight-black snugsuit and slip it on, wrapping the velcro closures tight enough to trap air, just loose enough for quick movement. Jars of infrared-fuzzing camo paint are next, applied liberally over my face and hands. No need for artistry; speed is of the essence.

My custom-made black trek boots are at REI for resoling, so I have to settle for a pair of fuzzy slippers left in the bag for just this purpose. Last is my "B" web belt, with minimal load-out and daily carry in its utility pouches. Stealth, speed, and light weight will bring papa home with the bacon.

Easing back into the living room, I stay low and relaxed. Don't want an accidental visual with a meter-reader watching a stray shadow move through the room. The front door beckons but I take my time. Too many ops before this have been blown by relying on old info and rushing in where fools fear to tread.

As I slide up to the front door my cat Gizmo feints at my fuzzy slippers. I make the "back off" gesture, but he either didn't see it or he ignores me. Another swipe at my slipper. I execute a perfect "Five Cranes Flying" kata that normally disables and then kills. Gizmo just watches as my limbs of death fly spasmically over his head. Bored, he wanders off into the living room. Whatever.

The front door is where I left it. My peripheral vision shows the postal flat-rate box is still on the porch working on fading its red and blue to pink and blah in the summer sun. Even the chirping bird has flown off to find more interesting sights. Time to move.

With well-practiced skill I twist the knob, open the door just wide enough for my retired SEAL shoulders to pass through, and snatch the box back into the house before you can say Standard Delivery (2-6 business days). The door closes with a faint click, announcing the beginning of Phase Two.

Cradling the box in my left arm I ease my way to the kitchen. I've found the kitchen is the best room for operations of this type -- if the unexpected happens, or I have equipment failure, it's much easier to improvise a way out of danger from the kitchen. Two words: hot paprika. Enough said.

The kitchen counter has a clear space just large enough for the box, and I lay it down reverently. Glistening clear packing tape is no match for my black anodized K-bar and the shipping box lays open like a corpse's chest on the first day in gross anatomy class. Inside is the jewel, shining and seductive. I don't touch it yet, I just admire it. The promise, the passion, the release. I lean close and whisper, "Soon, you will be mine."

I hear the front door close, and I freeze. "Honey?" My mind races, examining and discarding options. Time simultaneously races by and stands still. Her heels click closer. "You home?"

My hand reaches for the hot paprika, a quiet smile flitting around my face. Oh yeah, baby. I'm home.

***TO BE CONTINUED***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

I have heard it suggested that the game be placed in the room next to the other games with the door closed for a couple days, so the games can smell each other under the door, and then on the third day or so, open the door gently. After about a week the game can join the others.

(At least it works for cats...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always do a little dance before I open a new wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love the little old bald guy in the battered white van..he's the Australia Post parcels contractor for our area..I haven't tried to kiss him yet but it's only a matter of time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

I love the little old bald guy in the battered white van..he's the Australia Post parcels contractor for our area..I haven't tried to kiss him yet but it's only a matter of time

Be careful with that. Our postman does tongues. Some days I can still taste his grizzly beard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously when my collection is small:

Quote:
Wait until everyone is out of your home so you can open it in complete silence without being disturbed

Now as my collection is huge:

Quote:
Take it out of it's shipping container and put it on the top of your pile of unopened games

Plus, when I open it, I use scissor to cut through the shrinkwrap along the edge at the back of the box, leaving the shrinkwrap still on the cover box.

Any other(s) out there doing the same like that?

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I open them as soon as possible, and look them over to make sure everything is in ship shape. Then, as soon as I have time, I punch, organize and clip the counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
To my eyes opening a new wargame box looks like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Date: May 29, 2014
Time: 7 PM

Got reports that a package from Clash of Arms was on its way for delivery - but it had not arrived.

The hoe in my hand suddenly drops - I hear the tell tale barking of Charlie Dog - he does not care for Large Brown Trucks with guys spit out of them that walk up the driveway.

I head to the Driveway, meet the delivery guy, and realize that Prague has arrived.

All activity halts - I take the package inside, a knive from the drawer cuts open the packing box that is immediately put on the floor for the Eden War Room Cat.

I remove the shrinkwrap, inspect the contents, take out the Lobositz Expansion pack, put it with Lobositz (just being setup) and the already reserved space for Prague on the book shelf is now occupied.

--------------------

The packing box - the dull brown cardboard will get more 'play' than the game will for now - it is Cat Box - if it was not set aside for reuse later for shipping a BGG trade.

Those that are Cat Box will eventually be broken down, stripped of all tape and added to the compost pit/pile or used as a weed barrier under mulch in the Veggie Patch between rows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Always exactly like this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Remember when they opened the Ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark? It's like that.

Seriously though, I rarely buy games which are still in shrink so typically I pull the tear tab on the USPS priority box and shake that puppy out. Voila!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John New
United States
Accokeek, Maryland/
New York, NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Reverently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the period. For example, Chariots of Fire just showed up so I used an Apa blade. Game before that was Wilderness War, so I opened that one by surrounding it and firing cannons at it for several days until the components gave up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
"I am living off the government tit! Sucking it dry!"
(since 1970)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alone, completely naked and inside an excessively well lighted white room full of nothing else robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.