Harbour» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir Bay

Prescott Valley
AZ
msg tools
Played this for the first time with 2 players. But before I post a review I wanted to get some clarification of rules.

1) On Harbor card, the boxes at the bottom represent the total goods that need to be shipped?

2) On Harbor card, the boxes you sell the value represent the total that needs to be shipped to get the value or is it the value per box? Example; $4/4 boxes is just $4 or is it $16?

3) In a 2 player game the Tax Office seems a bit powerful. The player that lands on it first can pretty much steal 2 goods from the other player every other turn. Can the rule be changed to 1 good?

4) The warehouse allows you to keep 1 good after shipping. If you have more than one warehouse, do you still only keep one type of good or can you apply each warehouse to a different good?

5) example: if the value of wood is 2 and I have a total of 4 wood can I spend all the wood to gain 4 value?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure Scott will answer in due course, but from my recollection of the rules...:

Sir Bay wrote:
1) On Harbor card, the boxes at the bottom represent the total goods that need to be shipped?

Yes. Sort of. It's the minimum amount of goods you need in order to sell there. See answer to question 5 for more.

Sir Bay wrote:
2) On Harbor card, the boxes you sell the value represent the total that needs to be shipped to get the value or is it the value per box? Example; $4/4 boxes is just $4 or is it $16?

It's the total value, so in your example, it's $4. The 4 boxes shown are to help remember you need to have at least 4 of the type of goods on that square to sell them, and you get $4 (though you have to sell ALL goods of that type, even if you have more than 4).

Sir Bay wrote:
3) In a 2 player game the Tax Office seems a bit powerful. The player that lands on it first can pretty much steal 2 goods from the other player every other turn. Can the rule be changed to 1 good?

I'll leave this for Scott to comment on properly, but my advice, if you're the player not on it: Try to buy it as soon as you can, so the other player has to pay you to use it. Plus your opponent can't steal something if you have nothing to steal, meaning they may not want to bother going on the card every other turn, giving YOU the opportunity to do so. I'm not sure it would be a very good long-term strategy to just go on that card every other turn.

Sir Bay wrote:
4) The warehouse allows you to keep 1 good after shipping. If you have more than one warehouse, do you still only keep one type of good or can you apply each warehouse to a different good?

Warehouses are cumulative, according to the rules, so if you had 2 warehouses you could choose 1 each of two different good to keep, or I believe 2 of the same good.

Sir Bay wrote:
5) example: if the value of wood is 2 and I have a total of 4 wood can I spend all the wood to gain 4 value?

No, you would have to sell all 4 of your wood, but you only get $2 total for that specific sale. That's the equally clever and yet frustrating mechanism with selling goods: You have to have *at least* the required amount, but you have to ship it all to get the money. That's why warehouses are so useful, as you get some "change" (in goods) back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Nick covered everything. But, I'd like to make a note about the tax office:

3) For the tax office, in 2p you still only get one good from the other player. The second good, which you choose, is just added to your resources - but doesn't come from the other player. (Thematically, it comes from the Tax Office itself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Halvorsen
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
(Thematically, it comes from the Tax Office itself)

So it's like you're a tax collector on welfare?

Edit: I'm really looking forward to the game, and I'm bummed I missed the PnP/PoD window. Can't wait until the middle of June.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Bay

Prescott Valley
AZ
msg tools
scottbalmes wrote:
Looks like Nick covered everything. But, I'd like to make a note about the tax office:

3) For the tax office, in 2p you still only get one good from the other player. The second good, which you choose, is just added to your resources - but doesn't come from the other player. (Thematically, it comes from the Tax Office itself)

First thank you for the help Nick.

Scott,

Is it possible to change the wording on the Tax Collector card, to make that rule more clear? Or atleast to include the rule in a card discription list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Bay wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:

First thank you for the help Nick.

Scott,

Is it possible to change the wording on the Tax Collector card, to make that rule more clear? Or atleast to include the rule in a card discription list?

Yup, we'll definitely make it more clear. Taxes are nasty, but we don't want them to be that nasty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.