Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wizard Nathan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A friend and his partner have a birthday coming up, and as they're probably the couple that my girlfriend and I game with the most I want to get them a game (also, they bought me Twilight Struggle for my birthday last year, so feels appropriate to get them a game).

They have (apart from a few filler games):
Eclipse
Village
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Takenoko
and I was hoping to get something that does something they don't have.

- Nothing too complex, probably around the Village mark or simpler.
- Playing up to 4 or 5 is good, with decent 2-player a solid bonus.
- Probably nothing very far over 2 hours, I'm not sure a super long game would get a lot of play.
- I'm also hesitant to get them something I already own - as I said, we play together quite often.
- They also really enjoy 7 Wonders (which I have), so something that scratches that kind of itch might be good

Games I have been thinking about: Suburbia, CO₂ (probably a bit complex?), and Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (probably a bit too close to Village in terms of mechanics?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in is actually fairly unique. It and Yedo are the only worker placement games I own because they stand out from the rest for me. Both would be great options, though Yedo can run a little over 2 hours with more people.

Suburbia I also like. I actually think this would be a really good option if you want to get them a lighter game. Pick up the expansion, too, if it's available. It adds a lot to the game.

Otherwise I'd say maybe Ghost Stories based on the games they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons

Weight's about right.
Plays up to 4*, arguably best at 2.
Our 2p playtime's about 40 min, so call it 20min/player.
You don't own it.
It starts with a card draft that's very much like 7 Wonders, but sets up each player's wizardy-type artifacts they hope/intend to summon over the course of the rest of the game (of three seasons, much like 7 Wonders' three ages).

*I just bought a secondhand copy and have been enjoying it solely as a 2p game. According to the votes on its BGG page, it's pretty much best at 2, solidly recommended at 3, and to be avoided at 4. I'm sure somebody else can chime in why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Dageroth
Germany
Steinhagen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Suburbia. Great game. Works really well with 2p.

+ 1 for Seasons, but only with 2p. I played it two times with 4p and those games took literally forever. With 3 it works good, but with 4 it is too long and some cards are too strong and it can be very fiddly to adjust the scoring board especially with 2 Figrim-cards in play...

Other games I would recommend:
Lords of Waterdeep
Concordia
Lewis & Clark
Tokaido
Keyflower
Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for both Suburbia and Tzolk'in.

Both look good, feel good and play uniquely amongst the games you've listed. Both are very good from 2-4 players and should fit in your 2 hour window once everyone knows the game.

I've played Village and Tzolk'in a few times with my regular groups, and no one has ever mentioned them feeling at all similar. I certainly don't feel that they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao might be a consideration. I've only played it two player and once, but I really liked it. The only reason I don't buy it is because the only person that I know who would play it, owns it! :-)

It was fun and very clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Miller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Waterdeep. I got this for my birthday and the family can't get enough of it. I have played it with 2, 3, 4 and 5 players and have enjoyed it with all of those. The 2-player game is a lot of fun. I find that downtime between turns can be long for the 5-player game.

+1 Suburbia. I just bought this two days ago, and I've only played it twice; but it was SO MUCH FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Nathan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks so much for the tips everyone. I think I'll look into getting Suburbia, but there's some great backups here as well (that honestly, I'll probably end up buying for myself at some point).

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.