Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So on the weekend we had out first game and naturally we got the rules wrong. Instead of revealing all the cards in their hand first, players could reveal cards from any hands in any order.

This played fine and everybody had a great time (the microbrewery accompaniment didn't hurt either).

Now having read the rules I can see we were playing wrong but I kinda prefer our version. In having to reveal all your cards first removes any chance of getting out of the trouble you may have bluffed your way into and cuts down on the drama of going outside your own hand to avoid skulls.

I am curious as to what people like about(what appears to me) to be the more limited player options that the rules offer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your version makes the game "friendlier", I think.

To me, what really makes S&R is the bluffing aspect that centres on a player needing to (i) reveal all their own cards first, and then (ii) reveal other stacks "top down" (so you can't just pick their first drop, or whatever). This is far more cut-throat: if you bluff your way into trouble, you die

Like many other bluffing games, this comes into its own after repeated plays with the same group of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skulls are dangerous to other people, so putting one down should entail a good deal of risk to you, too, I think. If you could just flip over other people's cards first then there is close to zero risk for you to put a skull down. It shouldn't be that cheap.

Anyway, that's kinda the main bluff of the game. Putting down a skull, and then loudly proclaiming "4!", even though you know you can't even do 1. Take that away, and it's barely a 'bluffing' game any more. You just bid a number, and if called on it turn over random cards (other than your own, if you placed a skull) see if you won. Might as well use dice.

That being said, if your group said it was fun how you played it... well, I can't argue with that. Then that's how you should play it. If I were you I'd try they 'right' way a couple times, though, just to see if it adds a touch more interest for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the comments - all make sense. Will definitely try with rules as is the next time we play.

The way we played didn't remove the bluffing factor it just moved the focus to how many roses could be flipped among the other players. You had to read the other players when they were bidding which gave you a sense of what they had played (or were they bluffing too!) so it didn't feel random when it came to flipping their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluffing is all the game is about.

When a person makes a bid, they are saying 'their coasters are safe' (or they are lying), because if they are the ones who flip, they have to start with their own. If you play you can flip from anywhere, then what they are saying is 'they think they can guess which of other people's tiles are safe' (which is as random as rolling a die). There is less to read, less information in the second situation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.