Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that it was the character for "Samurai", but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the character means "Samurai", but it's rather poorly written, in my humble Western opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one of several characters associated with Samurai. (And I agree with Silent Dibs that the calligraphy on the game tiles is rather poor.) This character when written alone is read as "samurai" and is a composite character of two others: Man/Person and Temple. Perhaps this hearkens to the samurai's code, ideal and ethic more than the military service they provided.

Other characters/words associated with the samurai are not read as "samurai" but nonetheless apply. One such is "BUSHI" (boo-shee) which means an educated man in the military (in other words, warrior). You may know it from the word "bushido" which is the code, ethic or way of the warrior.

At any rate that's a bit of a tangent, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
It is one of several characters associated with Samurai. (And I agree with Silent Dibs that the calligraphy on the game tiles is rather poor.) This character when written alone is read as "samurai" and is a composite character of two others: Man/Person and Temple. Perhaps this hearkens to the samurai's code, ideal and ethic more than the military service they provided.

Most etymologies based on graphemes are apocryphal, usually because the characters were Chinese to begin with. They are interesting, nevertheless.

The word samurai comes from the nominalized form saburahi of the verb saburahu, "to serve" -- hence, a samurai is "one who serves" (in the sense of a loyal retainer, not a butler).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Most etymologies based on graphemes are apocryphal, usually because the characters were Chinese to begin with. They are interesting, nevertheless.

True, true. Breaking down kanji into their radicals and sub-graphemes does in some instances provide a mnemonic device for remembering them. For example remembering "medicine" as "fun grass". When I would point out some of these interesting combinations most Japanese would not see the point. They just learned certain characters mean certain things regardless of the graphemes. While I might question the Japanese lack of creativity in this regard I may have been doing the equivalent of pointing out sub words that may be found in english words apart from true etymological meaning. In those cases any English speaker would say, "What's your point?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It doesn't make much sense that the ronin (without someone to serve) has the samurai sign on it. Especially when the actual samurais doesn't have the symbol...

Does anyone have a translation of the rest that is written on the box cover? One part has an exclamation mark after it so it must be important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top left corner: ライナー・クニツィーア "Reiner Knizia"
beneath that: このゲームは最高! "Kono geemu wa saikou!" [This game is the best!]
above the samurai's head: 幸せなハンス "Shiawasena Hansu" [Happy/Fortunate Hans, i.e. Hans im Glueck]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bug

Salt Lake City
Utah
msg tools
mb
I love how the cho-ons are drawn horizontal for his vertical signature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.