Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Escape from Nooseneck High - Idea Phase
Designed for the 2016 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

During the Second New England Vampire Panic, a group of survivors is discovered in a high school in a quarantined area of Rhode Island. Unfortunately, the vampires in the area have also discovered the survivors. A rescue effort is planned but resources are thin and the National Guard can only spare one helicopter so the evacuation will be very slow. You are a leader in the high school and must defend the survivors from the vampires, protect the dwindling resources, and manage the panicking survivors as they are slowly evacuated, and escape safely yourself.

Escape from Nooseneck High will include an 11x14 game board, a deck of 30 to 50 cards, and a sheet of approximately 100 counters.

Description of Play
The game is played on a map representing the fictional high school. At the beginning of the game, all doors and windows leading outside of the school have been barricaded. There are a few vampires outside of the school but they pose no immediate threat to the students... for now. There is a large central courtyard that is totally enclosed by walls. This is where the National Guard will attempt to land a helicopter at the end of each turn to rescue a certain number of people. They player's job is to safely get people to the courtyard to be rescued and secure all paths leading to the courtyard to keep the vampires out. If vampires ever reach the courtyard, the National Guard will determine that the risk of landing is too great and will abandon the rescue mission and the player will lose the game.

There are several types of people in the school including school staff and various students. The player will be able to assign the people tasks, such as building and repairing barricades, fighting vampires, and evacuating. The people will mostly do what you want them to do but may rebel as the situation becomes more desperate. Some may even try to hinder your efforts.

The coming and going of the helicopter attracts more vampires each turn. These vampires will desperately try to get in to the school and the player must constantly battle against vampires trying to destroy the barricades. When a barricade is breached, the the player must build a new one or else the vampires will be able to move directly to the courtyard. People may battle the vampires using the limited supply of weapons. Of course, if they lose a close contact battle and are bitten, they will turn into vampires.

The final score is determined by how many people are rescued. The player can evacuate people in any order he or she chooses but should weigh the benefits of different person skills that can be used to battle the vampires. For example, the player may want to keep athletes in the school longer since they are strong and can better assist with building barricades. Some of the teachers are better marksmen and can better battle the vampires. Of course, once a person is evacuated, the player no longer has access to those skills.

The game ends once the vampires enter the courtyard, a yet-to-be-determined number of turns has passed, or all people on the board are evacuated. The first scenario is most likely. devil The score is determined by the number of people rescued.

The game's action will be driven by cards. Each turn the player will start the turn by flipping an event card. These events can be positive or negative for the player. For example, one event might say that the helicopter is bringing barricade supplies or weapons at the end of the turn. Another might say that the helicopter won't be able to come that turn. Some events may cause people in the school to ignore what you want them to do (i.e. you can't place workers) due to a panic about shortage of water or something similar.

The cards will also dictate vampire actions for the turn. What barricade(s) they will be attacking. What edge of the board new vampires will appear, etc. Once inside the building, vampires move down specific hallways toward the courtyard and can't detour to others. In this way, the game is somewhat similar to a States of Siege game. The card will also dictate the number of player actions for the turn (typically three but sometimes more or less due to an event) and the number of people the helicopter ca rescue.

I came up with the idea for this game when I was developing Hermann Luttmann's game, A Spoiled Victory and I thought how well it would work with a zombie theme. Which is funny because Hermann designed Dawn of the Zeds after playing Zulus on the Ramparts and thinking how well it would work with a zombie theme. Full circle.

I'd like my game to be considered in the following categories:
Best Original Artwork
Best Graphic Design
Most Innovative Mechanic
Best Rule Book
Best Regular PNP Build
Best Wargame
Best Worker Placement
Best Push Your Luck/Survival

I would like volunteers to be assigned to my game if needed.

Revision List:
June 6, 2014
Added the Description of Play draft
Jan 3rd, 2015
Reentered the game into the 2015 Contest
June 1st, 2016
Reentered the game into the 2016 Contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Escape from Nooseneck High - Entry for 2014 Solitaire PNP Contest - (Idea Phase)
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Escape from Nooseneck High - Entry for 2014 Solitaire PNP Contest - (Idea Phase)
chansen2794 wrote:
Unfortunately, the vampires in the area have also discovered the survivors. A rescue effort is planned but resources are thin and the National Guard can only spare one helicopter so the evacuation will be very slow. You are a leader in the high school and must defend the survivors from the zombies

Is is vampires or zombies?

Good to see you participate in the contest finally .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:
Unfortunately, the vampires in the area have also discovered the survivors. A rescue effort is planned but resources are thin and the National Guard can only spare one helicopter so the evacuation will be very slow. You are a leader in the high school and must defend the survivors from the zombies

I am also curious about this. Leftover from an early draft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:

I am also curious about this. Leftover from an early draft?

Good catch. The game was originally about zombies, but then I changed it because I thought the Vampire Panic was a more original theme. Also, I didn't want the monsters to be brainless so that the player had to defend against a harder enemy. They are probably more similar to "I am Legend" vampires than Anne Rice vampires so somewhat zombie-like but hopefully a bit more interesting than the typical undead opponent. I've updated the word "zombie" in the original post.

Here's a link to the inspiration for the theme.
New England Vampire Panic
In the game, tuberculosis was a cover story for an actual outbreak of vampirism in the late 1800s. The event is largely forgotten until a vampire is uncovered in an old cemetery during construction. He starts turning other people into vampires and before long New England has been quarantined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, Chris! Good luck!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a lengthy description of play to the first post. I've started working on making mock-up play test components for my private testing. I will try to write the rules and get a set of components out as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Great idea, Chris! Good luck!
Hermann

Thank you Hermann for helping to inspire the game idea! Without A Spoiled Victory: Dunkirk 1940, this game might not exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter drew some monsters especially for this game. I'd like to get some professional artwork eventually, but this will work for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that bottom blue guy has to remain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the red sabertooth orc to the left who makes the middle-finger curse.

The flying rabbit head is cool, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter drew some more vampires for the game. I think these may be my favorite yet.

I've also been working on the game. Here are my latest thoughts:

1. The game will be one week long with two helicopter rescues per day. So a total of 14 turns.
2. The game will always go the full 14 turns. It will not end if vampires enter the center courtyard any more. Players will have the opportunity to fight them. However, the helicopter will not land if vampires are in the courtyard.
3. I'll be adding a new track to the game board representing the roof of the building. Vampires will be able to move along the building and leap into the courtyard from it. To combat them, the player will have a few people who are marksmen in the clock tower to fight them off.
4. I've been struggling to think up a way of handling supply in the game. I think I've come up with an idea that will work. Each path will have a person assigned as supply runner. The person won't actually move but just stay in the "supply square" by each path. If that supply person isn't there, the workers in those paths (fighters, barricade builders, etc) will be out of supply and will have a lower chance of successfully completing the task.
5. If a person goes two turns without rescuing anyone, the helicopter will assume a tragedy and stop coming - and the player will lose the game.
6. The helicopter will only be able to rescue x number of people at a time. (Probably two or three).

The challenge for the player will be managing the battle against the vampires with an ever shrinking supply of people to fight against them. Each turn, people will be rescued or will die so the player will have less people to fight and build barricades. Yet every turn more vampires will arrive making the final turns of the game very difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've got all the basics of the game worked out. I'll be posting a more streamlined sequence of play that will form the initial draft of the rule book in the next few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am withdrawing this game from the competition this year. I ran into several real world issues and just didn't have time to work on it. I'll definitely be back to it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looking forward to trying this one out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Escape from Nooseneck High - Entry for 2015 Solitaire PNP Contest - (Idea Phase)
Suscribed.

Although I'm not a fan of zombie/vampire stuff the mechanics sounds nice.

You should definitely use some of your daughter's artwork. For some reasons the theme of your game in combination with your daughter's artwork reminded me to an Adventure Time chapter where there are zombies.

Keep up with the good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Escape from Nooseneck High - Entry for 2015 Solitaire PNP Contest - (Idea Phase)
I've been doodling some board ideas today for the school layout. (Spoiler alert, I am not an artist.)

I'm trying to decide between two basic layouts. The first has the all of the important rooms in the center of a main hall. The hallway on either side essentially provides 4 tracks for the zombies to approach the courtyard (CY) in the center.

The second map has more of a spoked layout with the important rooms surrounding the courtyard and the 4 paths clearly laid out as hallways.

Both offer some unique challenges but I think I'm leaning towards the first right now. I like the aspect of having to fight through multiple rooms to get to where you need to be. For example, if you lose the kitchen (which you need to keep everyone fed, you have to fight your way through the gym to get there. The spoked layout removes that aspect.

Just brainstorming out loud...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The linear map sounds more challenging, from a gameplay perspective. I think I'd test that one first, and if the game is too insanely difficult, you can always try it with the radial map instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mb
what about a map made up of different tiles?
you could have the courtyard always in the centre and then maybe 4 or 8 tiles (always corridor plus some rooms, small tiles (contact side smaller than the couryard is wide) and bigger ones, that extent outward) that each time the important rooms are connected in a different way and you have a new spatial situation to take into account!

edit: and you don´t have to decide which one to choose, as both might be possible from time to time..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schroederjan wrote:
what about a map made up of different tiles?

I like that idea as it would allow for easy and difficult configurations. But would be annoying to push counters around on a map made of cards? There will be lots of counter movement in the game so I could see cards being unintentionally shifted around during play.

I'll play around with the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go with the radial map, you could have an event or action or variant setup that causes the courtyard or some of the hallways to be inaccessible and then it's basically the same as the other map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
If you go with the radial map, you could have an event or action or variant setup that causes the courtyard or some of the hallways to be inaccessible and then it's basically the same as the other map.

Losing access to hallways through events as the game progresses is indeed part of the game. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm withdrawing the game from the 2015 Contest. I've procrastinated too much and didn't finish it in time. I'll try again in 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw... I hope to see it next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Aw... I hope to see it next year!

Thanks! Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.