Munchkin Legends» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Reluctant Munchkin (Nearly) Conquers All, A Game Night Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m just going to say this, and have it out there. I am not, in general, a fan of Munchkin. *ducks* I’ve been subjected, er, exposed to several versions of Munchkin in the past, and really haven’t gotten much good out of it. I’m starting to think, though, that one part of the problem may be with the people I get saddled with to play. I played a truly hellish game of Cthulhu Munchkin on International Table Top Day, with this insufferable douchebag who was mean to my non-gamer sister because she wasn’t acting quickly enough to respond when he cursed her two turns into her first game of her first Game Day of any kind. I nearly fed him his liver (without so much as a nice chianti to wash it down, no less!). Ahem. Tonight, though, it was a couple of my buddies, and it was laid-back, and while one of them is enough of a fanboi to have the level-counter app on his iPad, which he wanted to use rather than the regular counters, which don’t go to sleep constantly so that you have to log back into them every time you gain a level, he wasn’t super intense about things.

I had the Munchkin version of Lady Luck on my side tonight. I had wads of great equipment – headgear, back-up headgear, footgear... I had gear everywhere. The only piece of gear I needed and couldn’t get was the Thong of Hercules, which I know had to be in there somewhere. (If it isn’t, there’s an idea for a kickass promo card. You’re welcome, Steve.) I was fortunate enough to get several low-level opponents early on, which helped me level up pretty quickly, and since I could take most of them without help, I got to keep nearly all of the treasures. My problem for the first half of the game was that I always had too many treasures, and they were just lying around, collecting dust. *hand to brow* It’s tough to be me!

There were two very pitched battles while I was level 9 and trying hard not to be, when I went looking for trouble,and found it. The first time, I went after Pluto, and one player was helping me a little bit, while the other was helping Pluto a lot. He sent in another NPC to help, and tried his best to beat me, but in the end, I won, and had to give my colleague only the agreed-upon 2 of the 11 treasures I got from the two foes combined. Shortly thereafter, I went after Baba Yaga. I had her easily, until I got attacked from all sides, and the divine Ms. Yaga got buffed into a towering goddess of unparalleled might. They played a whole stack of cards into the fight, sending a Quetzalcoatl in to help her, and buffing her, and pouring potions all over everything. In the end, they barely managed to tip the fight against me, and I rolled a 6 to run away, so at least I didn’t lose any levels or items. It was, however, only two turns later that my perfidious friend dodged my Hail Mary curse with the Boon he’d gotten from that bloody iPad app, and went on to win the game by defeating a Level 4 goose or something. No one had anything to stop him, because they’d spent it all stopping me!

Based on tonight’s game, I’m feeling much more open to the idea of playing Munchkin again in the future, though I will be very careful moving forward about my partners. I think Munchkinosis, as with so many social diseases, is best controlled by limiting your partners to those you can trust and always saying no when the conditions aren’t right for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin is ALL about who you play with. I'm glad to hear that you found a good group and had a fun game.

".....and pouring potions all over everything" This was my favorite line of the report! :laugh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.