Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Times: Wheels of Industrialization is my entry for 2014 Solitaire PNP Contest http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1179655/2014-solitaire-p...

Modern Times: Wheels of Industrialization is a Eurogame styled boardgame, bordering with a puzzle. You are warned
It uses resource management combined with the board rotation mechanic.

Player’s goal is to build from one to three factories using resources available or produced in ever changing environment. But be warned, each production comes with the price. And there are also taxes to be paid to the government…

The game consists from following components:
• White game board – named Income board (1 provided in base set)
• Black game board – named Expenses board (2 provided in base set)
• 5 resource tokens, one of each color.
• Goal cards representing factories needed to be built (4 provided in base set)
• Supply depot, this zone is used to represent the amount of available resources.

Player needs to supply 7 markers or tokens (5 of one color to track basic resources and two of another color to track special resources).

The game plays in about 30 minutes.

Links to the game files:

Rulebook: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_68vh2U4DoKa1hySnZRWnpLb3c...

Counters, supply depot and goal cards: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_68vh2U4DoKdjE5ZDUwTTRINkE...

White game board: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_68vh2U4DoKQk1YLVpQVzJqWms...

Black game board 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_68vh2U4DoKVk9ia1ZDdnNCUjg...

Black game board 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_68vh2U4DoKeXRwYnZqcGpKYm8...

This game applies for categories:
Best small game
Most Innovative Mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Modern Times: Wheels of Industrialization (components ready) - Entry for 2014 Solitaire PNP Contest
Would you consider this game as small or medium sized ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Modern Times: Wheels of Industrialization (components ready) - Entry for 2014 Solitaire PNP Contest
saranac wrote:
Would you consider this game as small or medium sized ?

It's small since it only has two pages of components that need assembly.

Thanks for the entry! I look forward to playing this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still negotiating with some publishers
They hate to see game that is not chewed up (missing serous graphic) so they are little reluctant to accept just game mechanics...

Let me know how do you like MT:WoI.... It might be little heavy for average stomach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing the game and for finding errors in the rulebook.

I will fix the color for raw materials, so let me know what color would you like to see there

It would also be no problem to add medium difficulty level.

And yes for advanced level, adjust supply tokens then move on.

I am quite aware that it is abstract puzzle game. That is why I put the warning sign at the beginning of the thread. I did my best to mask it at least a little bit with industry building theme, and I know it is not 100% successful, but I have no other idea how to make it a little more thematic. Any advice would be welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Times: Wheels of Industrialization now has a BGG entry as game.
Here is the link:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160097/modern-times-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Raw material color changed from white to purple to make the counter more visible on the white board.

Also, some typos detected by Andy fixed in rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to know a little bit more about the game, my answers to Morten's interview can be found here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/31159/2014-solo-pnp-interv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible that no one likes euro-style brain burners? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saranac wrote:

It doesn't look like one to me, it looks like an abstract to me.

I looked at the board and my eyes hemorrhaged. Couldn't get past that. Sorry soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, abstract it is

But a brain burning one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will be printing this as soon as i am next at my consulting job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
saranac wrote:

It's still in the early goings, Aleksandar. Be patient.

Abstract. Euro.

As long as it's good/fun, that's what matters IMO.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Aleksander,

Really cool sounding puzzly game with a taste of worker placement. I have only read the rules, so I havent tested it out yet. But I have subscribed and will be testing this one out. Only 2 small items popped up on my read through :

a) I like the color coding you did with the icons on the player tokens, but you may want to also color code them for each of the icons on the boards as well. It doesnt affect gameplay I dont think, but it wouold speed up resource recognition.

b) In the rules you refer to the 5 Hex tokens (the colored ones) as "resource tokens", and you also refer to the (7) player provided tokens as "resource tokens". It is only a small section, but try and clarify which is which by calling one Resource Tokens and the other Resource Markers perhaps.

Thanks for the entry, I will report back once I have tested it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing.

a) I was thinking about this, but during the play I found out that it is more important to distinguish circles on each board than each resource. Therefore there are two "shades of gray" on each board, and not five resource colors. This way, player knows here it is allowed for him to move each resource every turn.

b) will be fixed Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reading over your rules now

quick edits:
pg.4 - "Payer ads one" - "Player adds one"
pg.4 - "If the player decides to collect token" - "a token"

comments and thoughts:
i think the two board solution is a great idea, actions on one board equal the cost on the other. with the initial board rotational setup this means resources have variable costs game to game and it is a very well done compact way to make this happen

"Expenses are paid after the income is collected. This way, expenses can be paid with resources collected this turn, but if the player is unable to pay related expenses, he is not allowed to collect resources or to remove token from the Income board."

hmm i wonder if the player should go space by space, resolving each. has anyone had a problem with forgetting what they have collected before they pay?

in the movement phase if any one of my tokens has landed on one of the arrow icons all the resource tokens move yes? if tokens move on to different arrows at the same time does any one movement type have initiative?

the icon on the white hex with an arrow and a red slash is the only way a resource can become locked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments and typo mentioning.

dumarest123 wrote:

"Expenses are paid after the income is collected. This way, expenses can be paid with resources collected this turn, but if the player is unable to pay related expenses, he is not allowed to collect resources or to remove token from the Income board."

hmm i wonder if the player should go space by space, resolving each. has anyone had a problem with forgetting what they have collected before they pay?

I do not think you can have a problem with that since you can collect only one resource token a turn.

dumarest123 wrote:

in the movement phase if any one of my tokens has landed on one of the arrow icons all the resource tokens move yes? if tokens move on to different arrows at the same time does any one movement type have initiative?
the icon on the white hex with an arrow and a red slash is the only way a resource can become locked?

IF you collect resource that you have to pay with the arrow icon, all remaining tokens move.
If you collect resource from the field with crossed arrow, your resource will not move next turn.
The only way resource can become locked is to "hit the wall" (usually in the innermost circle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.