Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept. Is today the day?

However, from time to time, I do alter my ratings for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I re-evaluate ever time I play a game, new or old. Then once every so often, I run my numbers through a Gaussian distribution to make a pretty bell curve. Mine is a tad top heavy at the moment. Some games that have made a huge turnaround in my ratings were bonabo beach, Maharaja, Age of Steam, all which has moved up with more plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't re-evaluate very often, but I do it every few months or so. Over the last several days, I've been trying to go through my collection to add comments where they need to be added or updated, as well as to change ratings where they should be changed.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea. It would work better if we could get some Admin/Aldie buy-in on it, perhaps a pinned notice or even geekmails to all users saying something like "in the interest of enhancing the value of ratings data, we encourage you to revisit your ratings on X date." With some lead time (couple weeks?), I bet a lot of people would participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
How often do you reevaluate your ratings?

Pretty much every play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Yup, great idea. thumbsup

Like others here I re-evaluate often because my opinions change with time. Usually a game will settle down after a 1/2 dozen times or so but I still like to go back through and see if my old ratings are still holding up.

Make sure to recommend this thread so it stays hot and active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention it. The wife and I just sat down with our collection last night and re-evaluated our ratings. Several, including TTR & Lost Cities went up, while others like Carcassonne went down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually look over all of my ratings once a year or so. If there's a 9 or 10 that I haven't played in the year, chances are I'll probably drop my rating a notch.

Otherwise, I just evaluate my rating every time I play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I reevaluate my ratings with just about every play and once every month or two I breeze through all my ratings to ensure they are still pretty accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I update sporadically, when I look at my games I make that determination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I constantly reevaluate my ratings to match the BGG ratings. So if the ratings go up I will raise my rating, if they go down so do mine. So far, I think that PR is the best game, T&E is undoubtedly the second best game, Caylus the third best, Power Grid is clearly the fourth best game...

Tic Tac Toe is the worst game.

I give this list 11 thumbs up.

(I love you, Machine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I now give this thread 12 thumbs up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Waddington wrote:
I think this is a great idea. It would work better if we could get some Admin/Aldie buy-in on it, perhaps a pinned notice or even geekmails to all users saying something like "in the interest of enhancing the value of ratings data, we encourage you to revisit your ratings on X date." With some lead time (couple weeks?), I bet a lot of people would participate.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Tic Tac Toe is the worst game.

I ask that you read my review at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/110595 and reconsider that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
On the topic:

How many use the BGG suggestions for ratings?
Quote:
10 - Outstanding, always want to play this game and expect this will never change

9 - Excellent game, always want to play it.

8 - Very good game, I like to play, probably I'll suggest it and will never turn down a game.

7 - Good game, usually willing to play.

6 - OK game, some fun or challenge at least, will play sproadically if in the right mood.

5 - Average game, slightly boring, take it or leave it.

4 - Not so good, it doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion.

3 - Likely won't play this game again although could be convinced. Bad.

2 - Extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again.

1 - Defies description of a game, you won't catch me dead playing this, clearly broken.

I've been using the BGG scale in the hopes of contributing to some consistency, but my guess is that most are oblivious to this scale. (Am I wrong?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
I reevaluate my top rated games (8-10) games on a regular basis. I guess I'm guilty of the "first play" infatuation with many games. I rate a game highly (Shadows Over Camelot or Arkham Horror, for example) at first but then after I've played them a few times, I go back and knock the rating down to a more "reasonable" number. I rarely reevaluate lower rated (1-6) games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with such a day or week is that only the people logging into the site will actually pay attention to it or be notified, while drive-by raters who log in once, rate a few things, then leave, are never more to change.

More useful would be having the date of each rating store when it was submitted, and provide the ability to pull ratings over a date range. Let any of a few standard pre-calcuated ratings be chosen for display. Past year, past 2 years, past 5 years, all time, with a default of past year.

This will balance the system towards active raters and less for the "rate once and never log in again" crowd. That's probably not a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tweak my ratings regularly. Granted, its more regular for the games I play most often, as I fine-tune my thoughts, but every once in a while I'll get a wild hair up my ass and go through a few hundred games and make adjustments. Over the last year or so, I believe my average rating has fallen by about .5 and through no intentional effort my ratings are starting to more closely resemble a standard bell curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I find the BGG suggested ratings problematic in that it mixes quality of the game with willingness to play. I don't think that every game I don't enjoy much is a bad game, some aren't for me. Also, some games are big and monstrous and while excellent I'd be reluctant to play often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I re-evaluate ever time I play a game, new or old. Then once every so often, I run my numbers through a Gaussian distribution to make a pretty bell curve. Mine is a tad top heavy at the moment. Some games that have made a huge turnaround in my ratings were bonabo beach, Maharaja, Age of Steam, all which has moved up with more plays.

Not to question your system, but why should you expect your ratings to necessarily fall into a bell curve if you are making intelligent decisions about games you are likely to enjoy? I would only expect a bell curve if you bought games at random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-evaluate my ratings for a game every time I play it. It doesn't make sense to re-rate it any other time. If I haven't played it since the last time I rated it, then how could my perception of it change?

PS: Caylus would be #2 (behind Tigris & Euphrates) if everyone re-rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I check my rating whenever I log in a play on the geek, with the new layout, you can see your rating and add plays in one line with a few clicks. I also change my ratings when I see two games that have the same rating and I clearly like one over the other. Then I have to switch rating on quite a few games, to keep them in order of preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
dcorban wrote:
I re-evaluate my ratings for a game every time I play it. It doesn't make sense to re-rate it any other time. If I haven't played it since the last time I rated it, then how could my perception of it change?

Well, if you initially rated it high, but it's been awhile since you played it, and your desire to play it again has dropped off since then, that might suggest a need to reevaluate it even though you haven't played it.

I don't know if I totally agree with that statement. A lot of time the "desire" to play a game doesn't correlate with the "ability" to play said game. I desire to play a lot of games, that either I don't have the time, or haven't been able to talk people into playing, or just the sheer mass of games not yet played for the year overwhelms that fact. I will only re-evaluate once I've played it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Well, if you initially rated it high, but it's been awhile since you played it, and your desire to play it again has dropped off since then, that might suggest a need to reevaluate it even though you haven't played it.

Yes, but the lowered desire to play does not stem from the game itself. Possibly I found a different game that I desire to play instead, or maybe I have less time to play. Either way, it isn't the original game's fault, so why "punish" it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.