Subject: Gamers with kids - do you let them choose their own games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairly straight forward question, do you pick games for your kids or let them decide? Why and how is it working out?

What games have been big hits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To buy or to play?

Depends a lot on the age of the kids involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
It switches. Most of the time I let them pick a game, sometimes I dictate.

It has worked out very well. I usually dictate if I want to introduce a new game, or play something that is typically stored out of their reach. I don't always choose a "gamers" game, as I will ocassionally pick the Princess Cupcake game or Candyland.

When my youngest (3) picks, it is typically Zingo or something along those lines. When my older (5) picks, it is about 60-40 between her picking very simplistic games like candyland/princess cupcake and picking games like Carcassone or some of the haba games I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually let the kids pick the game that we are playing unless it is one that we have played a lot of times recently or is on my list of games I will never play again (yes, A Day Out with Thomas, I am looking at you). Fortunately, my two youngest are 8 and 11 and the games we play together are becoming much more interesting.

Big Hits from the Past: Labyrinth, Hey, That's My Fish!, Granny Apples, Cootie, Hi Ho! Cherry-O (stupid dog!), What's GNU?, anything with Thomas the Tank Engine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Of course they can pick their own. More than a few of their kid games are really quite good. My one boy loves the Ben 10 Duel for Power card game and it's very engaging. Sputnik, Monopoly . . .

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with my kid. The first priority is I enjoy the experience with my kid, so them being happy and enjoying instead of being 'forced' is the first step.

Candyland was a big hit when they were younger, then Life, then Yu-gi-oh, then Pokemon, then Bang!, then Last Night on Earth, then Power Grid, then Battelstar Galactica, Then Settlers and Small World. Now back to Pokemon.

Pow Wow was a big hit and is coming back.

If there is enough people around the kids are older now and want to play Werewolf.

Other big hits; go fish, war, fluxx, we didn't play test this, win lose or banana, Nacht Der Magier, Hamsterrolle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For our weekly Family Game Night we take turns choosing the game of the evening (yes, we typically only get one in before the kids have had enough). There's 4 of us, so we each get our choice roughly once a month. My 10-yr-old daughter will almost always pick a party game, not my favourite to play when there's only 4, but we still have fun. When it's my turn or my husband's turn to pick we will usually avoid the long brain-burners that we love playing, but we know the kids will get bored with (those games we save for when it's just the 2 of us!). This pattern of taking turns has worked well for us, since we all agree it's fair.

On the rare occasions that I'm playing a game with one or both of the kids outside of the structured Family Game Night, I always let them pick. I'm just happy to get a chance to play with them.

EDIT: What games have been big hits? With my daughter, Love Letter. With my 13-yr-old son, Galaxy Trucker. Both kids love Snake Oil, and often ask to bring it to school to play with their friends. When they were younger, we all enjoyed The Amazing Labyrinth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cartchamp
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 6 & 9 yr. old. I've tricked them into thinking that gamers' games are the only ones out there by only buying and offering those to play. We regularly play co-ops (Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert) & gateway games (Ticket to Ride,Steam Park, Takenoko, Hey, That's My Fish!, Survive: Escape from Atlantis!) that appeal to our non-gaming friends and relatives, and games with lots of dice/luck (King of Tokyo, Formula D, Dino Hunt Dice, Zombie Dice, Martian Dice, Quarriors!,Nobody but Us Chickens) so the kids have as good a chance as winning, and the better kids' games (Labyrinth, Enchanted Forest, Spot it!). Got to get them started early!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When choosing a game to play I let him pick, informing him a little about the game before we decide for sure. When buying the game, I pick because I know what type of games he likes and can look at how the theme and mechanics work together better than he can. Although if there are a couple I am not sure between, which is often the case, I will let him make the final decision.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the buying.when he gets older, he'll have some input.

As for playing - we generally come to an agreement over what to play. Much like any other gaming partner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Our four year old daughter has her own small collection of games. A few HABA titles, several sets of Memory, that sort of thing. If she wants to play a game, she chooses among those. And sometimes she can play one of Daddy's games, but then I select. She likes Villa Paletti. I've tried to get her to grips with Ubongo, but that hasn't been a huge success yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.