Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Goliath states:

Quote:
While Hulk is active, when either you or Hulk takes damage, Hulk deals 2 damage to each opposing character...

Does this deal damage to every opposing character involved in combat (attacker/defender) or every opposing character in the field (including those not involved in combat)?

Next, there is an action card (forget which one, sorry) that has a global effect that allows a lightning energy to be spent to give somebody +1 attack. This can be triggered either before you start attacking or after defenders have been assigned, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smat Denley
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
It deals damage to all opposing characters, after attacking and blocking has taken place. Basically, it won't remove blockers already assigned, so that the attackers are unblocked.

In a friendly game the usage of globals is much more loose. But in tourney play, I believe, you can only use that ability in the main step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says "each opposing character", so that is every character your opponent currently has fielded.

Regarding the global ability, the card you're thinking of is Invulnerability, and you are correct. You could use it in the main step on a character in the field, or you could use it in the attack step after attackers and blockers have been assigned. I recommend reading carefully through 1havok12's post here: MDM Players Aid. It lays out the turn order sequence in great detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smat008 wrote:
In a friendly game the usage of globals is much more loose. But in tourney play, I believe, you can only use that ability in the main step.

Actually, there's an Action/Global Action phase during the Attack step:

Dice Masters rules summary wrote:
Attack Step
Select attackers. Resolve effects that occur due to attacking.
Assign blockers. Resolve effects that occur due to blocking.
Use action dice. Place them in your used pile when finished.
Both player can use global abilities.
Assign and resolve damage. Resolve effects that occur due to damage or knock out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smat008 wrote:
It deals damage to all opposing characters, after attacking and blocking has taken place. Basically, it won't remove blockers already assigned, so that the attackers are unblocked.

Careful with the timing there, that can be misleading. It deals damage WHENEVER Hulk or his controller are damaged. If a player pings him with Human Torch or Mjolnir during the main step it would activate as well.

As far as timing in combat damage, my current school of thought (others may disagree) is that it would trigger At the end of the attack step, after KOs are checked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smat Denley
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Stryyder wrote:
Smat008 wrote:

Careful with the timing there, that can be misleading. It deals damage WHENEVER Hulk or his controller are damaged. If a player pings him with Human Torch or Mjolnir during the main step it would activate as well.

As far as timing in combat damage, my current school of thought (others may disagree) is that it would trigger At the end of the attack step, after KOs are checked.

Right, I just didn't bother saying anything about Hulk's ability when not in combat.
I do agree on the timing as well but I don't think it matters whether it happens before or after the KO check. Characters that were not knocked out, but were damaged, do not recover their health until clean up. So Hulk's ability will add to any damage the opposing characters took during the attack step. So he can possibly KO more characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough, but it would matter with something like Invulnerability. Essentially:

Attack damage is dealt, characters are KOd
Characters affected by Invulnerability are sent back to the field
Hulk triggers and damages those characters again, sending KOd to prep since they are no longer "attacking".

There was a thread about it somewhere, just don't remember where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smat Denley
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Stryyder wrote:
True enough, but it would matter with something like Invulnerability. Essentially:

Attack damage is dealt, characters are KOd
Characters affected by Invulnerability are sent back to the field
Hulk triggers and damages those characters again, sending KOd to prep since they are no longer "attacking".

There was a thread about it somewhere, just don't remember where.

Good point. That is a funny situation, that would stall a game for sure. Fairly confusing but totally true, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure someone has already answered this to your liking but I still like to add my 2 cents because answering questions like this helps me focus on the mechanics and the order of things.
kirkbauer wrote:
Green Goliath states:
While Hulk is active, when either you or Hulk takes damage, Hulk deals 2 damage to each opposing character...

Does this deal damage to every opposing character involved in combat (attacker/defender) or every opposing character in the field (including those not involved in combat)?

While Hulk is active, whenever either you or Hulk takes damage, Hulk deals 2 damage to each opposing character. This says nothing about being engaged in combat or combat damage specifically.

So when could Hulk be damaged and his ability go off?

Well, this can actually happen during multiple stages of the turn:
d10-1 Draw and Clear Step, if you can't draw 4 dice, you take damage for each dice you cannot draw. This would trigger Hulk's ability.
d10-2 Main Step/Using a Global Ability, if a Global ability is used by you, our your opponent, such as Mijolnir: Pay 2 Bolt to deal 1 damage to a target character, and they, or you, target Hulk, his ability goes off.
d10-3 Main Step/Playing Actions, if you played Force Beam which deals 1 damage to each character, this would trigger Hulk's ability
d10-4 Main Step/Field Characters, if you have Human Torch-Johnny Storm in play and you field another character, you can ping Hulk for 1 damage and trigger his ability.
d10-5Attack Step/Play Actions and Global Abilities, again another window of opportunity.
d10-6 Attack Step/Assign and Resolve Damage, if Hulk attacks and is blocked, the combat damage would resolve and his ability would trigger after the combat damage.

kirkbauer wrote:
Next, there is an action card (forget which one, sorry) that has a global effect that allows a lightning energy to be spent to give somebody +1 attack. This can be triggered either before you start attacking or after defenders have been assigned, correct?

Basic Action Card-Invulnerability: Global-Pay 1 Bolt. One target character gets +1A (until the end of the turn.)

There are two "windows" you could play this. The first is during your Main Step which would give one of your characters +1A before assigning attackers. This could be used as a way to force your opponent to block the character because it would hit for one more.

The second would be after attackers are declared and after blockers are declared, but before damage is done. You could play this action then to
...give a +1A to the character getting through to your opponent,
...or to make sure that a blocker gets KO'd,
...or to make sure one of your guys is KO'd by targeting one of your opponent's characters with the +1A...devila bit unorthodox, but I want my gobby, and storm to be KO'd because of their "when fielded" abilities.

Please feel free to take a look at this post which goes into detail about the turn sequence and the :windows" mentioned. Long Article Here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a small question about Hulk:
I know after blockers are declared , both players can play global abilities.

So far i could never win an attack step phase against my opponent when he has at least 2 energy for 2 times of a global that could damage hulk.

Example:
I attack
He declares blockers
He uses Magic Missle(DND Set) Global to make hulk 2 times dmg.
Hulk* uses his ability and make my Characters 6dmg total and almost all my characters are getting KO'd.

Is this all correct? (because it is like a 2 energy for a free win every round -.-)

Also i was reading in an FAQ for MARVEL, that blockers that are assigned to block, does block "that" attacking character even when inflicted no damage to him(because of Hulk for example).

Is that also correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ressless wrote:
Just a small question about Hulk:
I know after blockers are declared , both players can play global abilities.

So far i could never win an attack step phase against my opponent when he has at least 2 energy for 2 times of a global that could damage hulk.

Example:
I attack
He declares blockers
He uses Magic Missle(DND Set) Global to make hulk 2 times dmg.
Hulk* uses his ability and make my Characters 6dmg total and almost all my characters are getting KO'd.

First off, if you are the attacker, you get get to do as many Global abilities as you want to before he has a chance to respond. Secondly, assuming you are talking about Green Giant, it's only 3 damage each if he is on his burst face, otherwise it's 2x2=4 damage to all your characters. This is why Hulk costs a lot and it's fairly difficult to get him out.

Quote:
Is this all correct? (because it is like a 2 energy for a free win every round -.-)

Also i was reading in an FAQ for MARVEL, that blockers that are assigned to block, does block "that" attacking character even when inflicted no damage to him(because of Hulk for example).

Is that also correct?

I'm not certain exactly what question you are asking here. Each blocker can only block one single attacker (except for some specific characters that have an ability to multi-block). Multiple blockers can be assigned to the same single attacker.

Once at least one blocker has been assigned to an attacker, they are considered "blocked" for the rest of the turn. Even if the blocker is knocked out, removed, whatever, the attacker will not go on to damage the opponent (unless they have the Overcrush ability). Only characters that were unblocked go on to damage the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.