Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I don't care for games where the main mechanic is auction/bidding. So when I check out a game on BGG that I'm not familiar with and I see that auction/bidding is a mechanic, I usually ignore the entry.

Yesterday I checked out a review for a game (Rockwell) that looked interesting and the auction/bidding mechanic wasn't listed in the mechanics section. However that mechanic is used to determine the start player.

This got me wondering if there any other good games out there that I am ignoring because it does list that mechanic in the mechanics section but it's used just for a small part of the game.

Does anyone have any examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
Railways of the World - You bid to go first, but going first is a pretty big deal, so it might be more important than in other games.

A Game of Thrones (first edition) - There are a couple rounds of bidding to determine 3 different things (who breaks ties, how many special tiles you can use, turn order, and who wins tied fights?)

Runewars - Very infrequent bids, although I honestly can't remember what the winner gets.

Tikal - It is listed as an auction game, but I don't remember any auctioning at all, unless the are counting the area control mechanic as an auction?

The Speicherstadt - It is an "auction" game at heart, but it might not turn you off the way other true auction games would. In a 3 player game, you have 8 items to bid on (4 up top, 4 down bottom). You have 4(?) meeples to place, so you use those to "bid" on an item. If I place a meeple on an uncontested item, I get the 1st chance to buy that item at the end of the round. IF somebody puts their meeple behind me, they get the 2nd chance to buy the item.
At the end of the round, the price you pay is the number of meeples on the item and you have the option to pass and remove your meeple. So if an item had a sequence red-yellow-blue-yellow meeples, then red would get 1st shot at the item for 4 gold, if he passed, yellow could get it for 3, if he passed, blue for 2, if he passed yellow again for 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lipman wrote:
Tikal - It is listed as an auction game, but I don't remember any auctioning at all, unless the are counting the area control mechanic as an auction?

Tikal has an official auction variant that came with the rule book.

As to answer the OP, Manila, a great game now is OOP for a long time, has open auction to determine the start player. The gambling aspect earns you money, but the true winner is the one that uses auction to their advantage. I've won 2 games by only being the start player once but I made sure my opponents paid enough money to be worth my while. It's such a clever game. Too bad it probably won't get reprinted ever due to the designer has passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lipman wrote:
Railways of the World - You bid to go first, but going first is a pretty big deal, so it might be more important than in other games.

A Game of Thrones (first edition) - There are a couple rounds of bidding to determine 3 different things (who breaks ties, how many special tiles you can use, turn order, and who wins tied fights?)

Runewars - Very infrequent bids, although I honestly can't remember what the winner gets.

The Speicherstadt - It is an "auction" game at heart, but it might not turn you off the way other true auction games would. In a 3 player game, you have 8 items to bid on (4 up top, 4 down bottom). You have 4(?) meeples to place, so you use those to "bid" on an item. If I place a meeple on an uncontested item, I get the 1st chance to buy that item at the end of the round. IF somebody puts their meeple behind me, they get the 2nd chance to buy the item.
At the end of the round, the price you pay is the number of meeples on the item and you have the option to pass and remove your meeple. So if an item had a sequence red-yellow-blue-yellow meeples, then red would get 1st shot at the item for 4 gold, if he passed, yellow could get it for 3, if he passed, blue for 2, if he passed yellow again for 1.

Hmm... The Speicherstadt sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
lipman wrote:

Tikal has an official auction variant that came with the rule book.

As to answer the OP, Manila, a great game now is OOP for a long time, has open auction to determine the start player. The gambling aspect earns you money, but the true winner is the one that uses auction to their advantage. I've won 2 games by only being the start player once but I made sure my opponents paid enough money to be worth my while. It's such a clever game. Too bad it probably won't get reprinted ever due to the designer has passed.

Tikal is one of the games that I passed up! I didn't realize that the auction was a variant. It's too bad that the games page doesn't support something like an optional mechanic entry or a secondary mechanic entry. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
Hmm... The Speicherstadt sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Nah... Boring game that is overrated because it's from Feld. Felinia is a much superior game with a similar (but better) mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders has an official variant where players bid for player boards.

The Guns of Gettysburg has an official variant that has players bid for choice of army (which also determines start player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:

I'll second Manila. Fantastic game, and one I was going to add if it hadn't already been added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

Nah... Boring game that is overrated because it's from Feld.
Welcome to my GeekBuddy list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

Nah... Boring game that is overrated because it's from Feld. Felinia is a much superior game with a similar (but better) mechanic.

Interesting. In my one 4 person play, The Speicherstadt felt like a 4 person knife fight in a telephone booth (for those who remember telephone booths). It was pretty much impossible not to be constantly stabbing someone. Not what I think of when I hear "boring".

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoyed my first few plays of Speicherstadt but it got old fast. Very fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.