Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The setup section for the beginner game says each player takes 31 cards of each the Hoax and Vulcan deck.

My immediate confusion is that each deck is numbered 00 to 32 for a total of 33 cards. Does the leader count as one of these 31 cards? Which cards do I leave out?

I can already tell I'm going to get along famously with this rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mxrk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each people has a few cards that are distributed throughout the other people decks. So, for example, there is a Hoax card in the Khind deck. This means that while there are more than 31 Hoax cards in the game, there are only 31 (30 cards +1 Leader card) in the preconstructed Hoax deck.

BTW, in case the book didn't make it clear, the preconstructed decks are made by putting all the cards with matching capital letters (H,V,K,B,A,F,P,T) together. Ignore symbols/colors except for deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mxrk wrote:
BTW, in case the book didn't make it clear, the preconstructed decks are made by putting all the cards with matching capital letters (H,V,K,B,A,F,P,T) together. Ignore symbols/colors except for deck building.

The rulebook states this guidance right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yeah, that makes sense. I just saw the deck letters matched with the color and symbol for most of the cards, and assumed they were all like that.

Seems like a confusing way of doing it, but I guess it made more sense when these decks were released separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the cards without letters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
What about the cards without letters?

Playing with just the nine basic preconstructed decks you don't use them.

In fact you don't use them even if you do basic deck construction, which just uses that pool of nine decks - but reorganised by people. (You may even make this eight decks, omitting the Buka for now.)

But there are two ways to use most of those other cards. One is extended deck construction, including with inquisitors. The other is a form of extended preconstructed decks with emissaries.

So you've got your 30 card (plus leader) deck. 26 of the cards match the leader. Step one is to add the either 3 cards from that same people. (Except the Buka who only have one more card. I'd avoid Buka/emissary combinations for now, and thematically it's a bit odd anyway.) You'll still have a mutant and 3 other cards from other peoples, and be missing 3 cards from your people that are in other decks.

Step two is to pick an emissary. As a starting point, any emissary. That has seven associated cards, with deck indications like Tu, Ri, Bu and the other one. (They are an odd mixture of emissary name and people.)

Now you have 40 cards, including a leader and an emissary. Play.

There will be, you'll find, left over (never used this way) 4 inquisitors and 4 spirits. And also the element card (which you will use). My set that's bagged this way has 9 bags for decks (9x31 = 279), 1 bag for extra people cards (8x3+1=25), 1 bag for emissaries (4x8=32) and 1 miscellaneous bag (4+4+1=9), total 279+25+32+9=345 cards. That gives two fast ways to play:

Grab one of nine people bags.

Grab one of eight or nine people bags. Take matching three or one cards from extra people card bag. (Alternative plan, keep in main people bags, but that's more error-prone remembering to remove when not using emissaries.) Take one of four sets of cards from emissaries bag. Go.

(Using the spirits? Deck construction. But they aren't the greatest of cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.