Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to start the 3rd scenario of AP1 and I think I was playing blessings wrong earlier in the game.

I was assuming you played a blessing for an extra dice on the same character that played the card, but I've just noticed that this instruction doesn't say on YOUR check or even a character a your location, they just say on A check. Therefore from the wording and the importance of wording as detailed in the rules, I now assume that the card can be played on ANY character attempting a check, provided it meets the requirements (if any)

Hmmmm?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, that's right.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat J
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit, I had the same realization after 3 games. It made me feel silly, but it does mean I read new cards I encounter closely.

(It also means my gaming group will never want to play this, as they hate games that require close attention to card text.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What game with cards doesn't require close attention to the text on those cards? Sounds like you need a new gaming group. What do you usually play? Candy Land?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
attjen wrote:
I have to admit, I had the same realization after 3 games. It made me feel silly, but it does mean I read new card I encounter closely.

(It also means my gaming group will never want to play this, as they hate games that require close attention to card text.)


It does take some close attention. Though I think once you understand them you also reach a point pretty quickly where it becomes natural.

But I think Paizo is also committed to making it more easily understandable. That is the point of the extent of the errata they have made. I wouldn't be surprised to see some slight tweaks and changes to how they word things in Skull & Shackles that make it easier to understand the cards quickly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 3 games? Heck, I was into the Skinsaw Murders before I realized it. blush
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I appreciate the question, because I had not realized it yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gillen
msg tools
269Hawkmoon wrote:
attjen wrote:
I have to admit, I had the same realization after 3 games. It made me feel silly, but it does mean I read new card I encounter closely.

(It also means my gaming group will never want to play this, as they hate games that require close attention to card text.)


It does take some close attention. Though I think once you understand them you also reach a point pretty quickly where it becomes natural.

But I think Paizo is also committed to making it more easily understandable. That is the point of the extent of the errata they have made. I wouldn't be surprised to see some slight tweaks and changes to how they word things in Skull & Shackles that make it easier to understand the cards quickly.


I have to agree. The first card game I really played was Vs. Followed that Dominion, and eventually Sentinels of the Multiverse and Pathfinder.

As far as I can tell every game that involves cards involves making sure you read the card closely the first time you see it. The more games you play like that though the quicker you are to pick up future games with the same requirement. In each game, once you get familiar with cards, you start being able to play them just by name.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sefirit wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:
attjen wrote:
I have to admit, I had the same realization after 3 games. It made me feel silly, but it does mean I read new card I encounter closely.

(It also means my gaming group will never want to play this, as they hate games that require close attention to card text.)


It does take some close attention. Though I think once you understand them you also reach a point pretty quickly where it becomes natural.

But I think Paizo is also committed to making it more easily understandable. That is the point of the extent of the errata they have made. I wouldn't be surprised to see some slight tweaks and changes to how they word things in Skull & Shackles that make it easier to understand the cards quickly.


I have to agree. The first card game I really played was Vs. Followed that Dominion, and eventually Sentinels of the Multiverse and Pathfinder.

As far as I can tell every game that involves cards involves making sure you read the card closely the first time you see it. The more games you play like that though the quicker you are to pick up future games with the same requirement. In each game, once you get familiar with cards, you start being able to play them just by name.


I would say be careful with KS games though. Often things slip through as implied that shouldn't be because they don't all get the rules proofread by someone who doesn't know the game. It really is pointless proofreading your own rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat J
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
What game with cards doesn't require close attention to the text on those cards? Sounds like you need a new gaming group. What do you usually play? Candy Land?


laugh

Tsuro.
Dixit.
Pandemic (which is pushing it).
Betrayal at House on the Hill (really, really pushing it, but if our friends' teenage son plays, sooooo much easier as he just 'gets' games).

But nope, Mage Knight and Pathfinder aren't going to be high on their list of choices. (nor Fluxx, or Gloom, or...)

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Uhrig
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of Sentinels of the Multiverse where card text is also very important. That game taught me to pay close attention to card text.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.