Subject: so they are remaking Stargate as a movie trilogy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28739.html

ICV2 wrote:
Roland Emmerich, who directed the first Stargate film back in 1994, will direct a remake for MGM and Warner Bros., the companies announced Thursday. It’s planned as the first in a trilogy.

Emmerich and Dean Devlin wrote the first film; Devlin will serve as a producer on the remake.

It doesn’t sound like Stargate will be any time soon, though, as Emmerich is directing two sequels to Indendence Day back to back before beginning on the remake.

The original Stargate film spawned three TV series that ran for over 350 episodes combined. The last series was canceled in 2011 after two seasons (see "'Stargate Universe' Canceled").

Distribution on the new film will be handled by Warner Bros., with MGM handling select international territories.

So add in the upcoming remakes of Independence Day, Cliffhanger, and Point Break, and the 90's movie revival truly is in full swing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly enjoyed Stargate...

...I wonder if the show is on Netflix.

This could be awesome.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
I greatly enjoyed Stargate...

...I wonder if the show is on Netflix.

It doesn't look like the show is available through streaming right now (only DVD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tired of remakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd heard something along these lines some time ago... As I understood it Emmerich and Devlin do not consider anything that came after the movie to be canon, so the new films could well disregard anything that happened in SG1 onwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great.....another remake. snore

Good to see Hollywood not trying to stretch and make something new and inventive.

That would require original thought from Hollywood. Oh-No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would I go see these? They clearly have completely missed what made SG-1 great. (And made everything else in the franchise meh.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
I'd heard something along these lines some time ago... As I understood it Emmerich and Devlin do not consider anything that came after the movie to be canon, so the new films could well disregard anything that happened in SG1 onwards.

As I recall, there was a three-book-series that kicked off from the first movie, years before the SG-1 series was out.

And in that series, the stargate remained a one-to-one connection between Earth and Abydos...it couldn't "dial" other locations. (Which, lets face it, was a pretty silly idea. With as many hundreds of different worlds as the SG-1 team visited, it seems impossible to believe it would have taken the team finding the gate so much effort to figure out how to use it - practically any seven-chevron combination would go SOMEWHERE...)

I *believe* that series had other stargates found on Earth, eventually, that had a similar one-to-one connection with other planets.

I'd guess, given that book series was initially co-produced with the Stargate movie team, that this is the direction they'll be going with the reboot trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
And in that series, the stargate remained a one-to-one connection between Earth and Abydos...it couldn't "dial" other locations....

Not consistent with the movie or any of the TV series. But whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
XanderF wrote:
And in that series, the stargate remained a one-to-one connection between Earth and Abydos...it couldn't "dial" other locations....

It's consistent with the movie, insofar as there was a 'magic' 7-combination-code to go to Abydos, and no other combinations they tried did anything.

With a 7-set address, given the number of icons on the wheel, you are only looking at 2 billion possible combinations. If only ONE of those did anything - and you have a 1 in 2 billion chance of guessing it - it is believable that they would never get it to work without the identification of the symbols on its cover stones.

If (as the series indicates), you have THOUSANDS of valid addresses...then just randomly dialing them (which they had been trying) would have triggered a wormhole in many cases.

I mean, yeah, that's inconsistent with the series, of course - but the series (IMHO) is inconsistent with the film in that matter. (If for no other reason than Abydos being in a different galaxy, entirely, in the film - while it's in just another part of the Milky Way in the series)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
This makes me sad. I loved the TV show. Why ruin all this with a remake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
XanderF wrote:

It's consistent with the movie, insofar as there was a 'magic' 7-combination-code to go to Abydos, and no other combinations they tried did anything.

The whole McGuffin of the movie was to find the seven symbol set to dial back to Earth.

Valid addresses are only those that have a working stargate at the destination star system. You can't say that the Milky Way has about as many stars as possible address therefore random addresses should always work. It all depends on how many working gates exist. Even if it's thousands (and that would tend to break the SG-1 storyline), it's a million to one against a random address working. How long does it take to dial that many times? How much power does it take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

So add in the upcoming remakes of Independence Day, Cliffhanger, and Point Break, and the 90's movie revival truly is in full swing.

The upcoming Independence Day is not a remake but a sequel taking place 20 years after the first film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remake of Stargate? By Emmerich? I'm up for that. It wasn't a particularly great film but the premise has potential. Like the Nostalgia Critic said in his Godzilla Review: "A gateway that could lead you to countless worlds and the best you could come up with is 'Aliens built the pyramids'?!?"

Also considering Emmerich's tendency to write too many characters into a story. Giving him 3 films to tell the story might actually be a good thing. Or he'll just end up writing even moooore characters.

Anyway. I'll take an Emmerich reboot over an Abrahms or Bay flick any day.

And don't even get me started on how idiotic that whole addressing scheme in Stargate is... Point of Origin my ass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OmahaRenegade wrote:
This makes me sad. I loved the TV show. Why ruin all this with a remake?

The show exists.

A remake will not erase the show.

I never understand this concept.

When a band covers a song and it sucks, you just listen to the original, you don't never listen again because the remake sucked and ruined it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.