Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 plays on the trot (in one session) and we still died on the island

The 1st mission Castaways has us beat, but we love it! This Sunday, we will attempt it for the 4th time - and if history is anything to go by, for the 5th 6th and possibly 7th time also!

Great game. Brutal, but great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to set the game up and play a round but the person I was playing with was disinterested after a single round (with numerous mistakes) I just packed it up. I am hopefully going to solo it this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor_nero wrote:
I got to set the game up and play a round but the person I was playing with was disinterested after a single round (with numerous mistakes) I just packed it up. I am hopefully going to solo it this evening.

The people I have played with have seen out the game, but not wanted to play again. Too complex I think.

However I love it and solo play is great, so other players are not needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castaways 4th & 5th attempt today.

Died both times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep. I actually came here to ask for some pointers how to beat the game. If this already has been discussed please feel free to share the links.

I tried to play it with my family for the first time. They were intrigued by the game when I described it to them, but when we actually played (and were two hearts away from death on turn 3) it was anti-climactic. We felt like the game simply does not give us enough tools to survive. Like we do not have a fighting chance.

It was a 4 players game. I never counted the hearts on the character tracks but it feels that there are between 10 and 15 depending on a character.

On the first round you get 1 food and 1 wood and as far as resources go this is all. Ah, you also can do the Threats action and get 2 food. So 3 food and 1 wood. There is no way to get an additional resources at all. Please correct me where I'm wrong. So with 4 people one loses 2 life from hunger and everyone looses one life due to the absence of shelter. You spend your round on threat/exploring/building an item/arranging camp. Next round comes and the even directs us to move the camp. The new tile has only 1 wood as a resource on it. We gather on the second tile for food and as a result we have a 1 food + 1 wood. We explore one more title. We build two more items. Then three of us lose 3 live and one of us loses only one. Now this leads three of over over the morale pip. Since the next first player does not have determination tokens he looses 2 more lives. Next round we decide hunting. We still have weapon level of 0. We get plenty of food (uneaten part of which spoils the next night) but the hunter is so injured that he goes over second morale pip and has only two lives left. He is the next first player and we understand that he will not survive the morale phase of the next turn. We call it quits.

I understand that this is far from even decent play, but what we as a group do not understand is how we are supposed to get more resources. You generally can get only one resource per tile. But you need 4 resources to stay fed and you need much more for the pyre pile and palisade and roof and shelter. Some one is bound to die because the game just does not give enough to survive, there is nowhere to get enough resources from.

I know that we are missing something. It would not be that high rated game if everything were as it is appears to us, so I'm asking for help. Are there any game play videos for the castaway scenario, any tips, or anything that we are obviously missing judging by the description above.

The items we built were mostly intermediate items and did not directly help with the resources. There was no options for us to build otherwise. We did remember the starting two items, but measly two health and the other one would not help us that much.

You cannot hunt each turn. And if you don't you can't gather from 4 islands reliably. How the heck you are expected to end up with 4 food in the end of each turn? And also have some surplus of wood for building? It seems plain impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there's other posts around here somewhere with tips, probably in the strategy forum. You're correct that someone will always starve turn 1, and everyone loses some health for having no shelter. You should have camp on a food producing tile as much as possible, to save a gather action, and ideally a tile with both wood and food. I try to use the Explorer to make sure there's at least one of these in the middle of the island.

Here's a few other hints for Castaways and in general off the top of my head as well:

- First turn, explore at least 2 new tiles, ideally 3, so that you have as many places to gather from as possible. You probably don't need to build the shovel early, unless you get events that need it.
- Build shelter ASAP, even if it means someone starving on turn 2 to collect the necessary wood to build it in turn 3. Do it. You'll save more health in the long run.
- Don't try to guarantee all actions by using two pawns, there's too much to do, and not enough time. Building is the most dangerous, then exploring, and gathering is the safest.
- With 4 players, you'll need to spend the actions to boost morale fairly often. Determination skills will help a lot.
- Build the snare (carpenter's item). Free food is invaluable.
- Do your best to have the roof at level 1 by turn 4, and level 3 by turn 7. If you don't, the weather will probably use up too many of your resources.

That should be enough to get you started, hopefully you can figure out some other ways to make the adventure less fatal. Keep in mind, though, that Castaways is not an easy scenario. It has somewhat fewer rules than later scenarios, but it is still pretty tough. Once you have the hang of the basic rules, if you need a morale boost, try Cursed Island. In my opinion, it's the easiest of the original 6.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm guessing the key take away for me here is several explore actions in one turn. Somehow we have not thought about that. But the rest is also very useful. Thank you for contributing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Kourganov
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the first round:
* Gather 2 food tokens from the crates
* Explore 3 tiles on the map
* Boost morale by minimum of 2
* Use soldier to get 2 determination tokens and then to increase weapon level
* The explorer stays hungry for the night

Build roof level 1 at round 5 latest.
Build roof minimum level 2 by round 7.
And hunt, hunt, hunt them all down!

The success is almost yours. Most of the time you win on round 10. We only lost this scenario once when we made too many things with 100% success. And yes I've read the rules, the FAQs and erratas and clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh..,
finally someone agrees with me on the hunting!

The more players, the more essential is the hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The thing about hunting is that you dont seem to have a lot of opportunities to hunt. As far as i recall only 5 tiles have a beast on it. Chances to draw a beast from action decks are slim, so not counting that it's no more than 5 huntings per game. Definitely does not sound like a focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Kourganov
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually six beasts. If you explore a lot then you get thick hunting deck, and most of your inventions become available, and not forgetting discovery tokens. There are at least 2 food on the beast, so with hunting most of the time you have enough food, and extra food is used by the cook (and by items) for healing. Furs give you valuable building materials. When we play our soldier rarely does anything but hunting. So only profit!

But all that is for 4 player game. If there is only three players then no Soldier available, and that makes hunting a bit risky...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.