Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Blue Max Experts: I have a 9 and 11 year old who love Memoir 44 but want to try and airplane game. I posted on the Memoir 44 forum and they suggested several games. We have played Black Cross/Blue Sky and Wings Of Glory and both are fun in different ways. Blue Max was also recommended.

I'm confused because there seems to be 3 versions of Blue Max and this new Blue Max game that is another BGG entry. Some folks think the Blue Max 1st edition is the best.

What do folks think here? What version is the best? Which would be best for me and my boys? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTaber wrote:
Hi Blue Max Experts: I have a 9 and 11 year old who love Memoir 44 but want to try and airplane game. I posted on the Memoir 44 forum and they suggested several games. We have played Black Cross/Blue Sky and Wings Of Glory and both are fun in different ways. Blue Max was also recommended.

I'm confused because there seems to be 3 versions of Blue Max and this new Blue Max game that is another BGG entry. Some folks think the Blue Max 1st edition is the best.

What do folks think here? What version is the best? Which would be best for me and my boys? Thoughts?

I think the new Blue Max would be fine for you and your kids. The real issue with the new game was the extremely limited amount of aircraft types included with the game. For what you need it for, this shouldn't be a big problem.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"Of what use is a philosopher that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings?" -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTaber wrote:
Some folks think the Blue Max 1st edition is the best.

Ooh, ooh, that's me! Yes, I still believe that even though I haven't even seen the new edition. Stinking altitude rules are not needed in a game at this level. I suppose the new edition would probably work, just skip altitude, and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent game for children of that age.

First and second editions are very similar. A copy of either will be all you ever need - great fun. Good quality copies tend to be expensive but bargains occur. I recommend the original if you can get a copy at a fair price.

The new version is called Blue Max: World War I Air Combat and has higher quality pieces (especially the map). There are also some changes to combat resolution that some feel are an improvement - I was not convinced: the new version is on par with the original in this respect. Sadly, there are far fewer aircraft represented and some editorial mistakes in WW1 Air Combat. A truncated version of the game is playable with this edition, but you may get bored with only a few planes. It is likely that expansions will follow, alleviating the problem but costing more.

Finally there is Canvas Eagles, a web published version of the game with a huge array of aircraft sheets available. If yu have time and resources, this is an awesome cost effective option. It would be a big job to match the quality of the new version, however, and you should try the game before committing such a lot of time.

I rate Blue Max and Canvas Eagles 9/10. Engaging, simple and great fun. I have played dozens and dozens of times and hope to play many more. WW1 Air Combat is incomplete IMO, so I cannot recommend it: but it is readily obtainable and it should be possible to get a demo.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought a copy from eBay that is unpunched for a great price! Yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTaber wrote:
Just bought a copy from eBay that is unpunched for a great price! Yeah!

Well I just saved 50% on my car insurance, so.........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTaber wrote:

From what you described above, I would recommend Wings of War. However, Blue Max would be good addition. However, the older version of Blue Max is hard to find, so you might be forced to get the newer 2014 version.

The following file should also be very helpful:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/102539/blue-max-miniat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War is now called Wings of Glory. It is a brilliant alternative, especially if you purchase the miniatures. It can get rather expensive if you do whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.