Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

even while checking the different threads about this I´m still not sure how to play improved weapons in a campaign.

Example:
During mission 1 we obtained 2 improved weapons (one for the Hulk & one for the Sniper), but mission 2 only allows to pick one.

So Hulk and Sniper players have to discuss who gets an improved weapon at mission start?

The other weapon stays in the warehouse and can be selected during reinforcments instead of drawing a random weopon?

thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly how I understand it. So you are playing it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can select it during reinforcements. You have to draw a new, unresearched weapon instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But how do I get back my improved weapon from the prev. mission then? Or does the limit info in the story book (number of improved/alien weapons assigned at the start of a mission) mean "per agent"?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always thought it meant per agent. I suppose you copuld tell by seeing if any of the scenarios have the improved weapon amount 3 or more since each agent can only have 2 improved weapons max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
I don't think you can select it during reinforcements. You have to draw a new, unresearched weapon instead.

Yes, I missed that. You don't choose it during the game. It is a random selection during reinforcements but before you start, during setup, you choose which ones you'll play with.

Ashes001 wrote:
But how do I get back my improved weapon from the prev. mission then? Or does the limit info in the story book (number of improved/alien weapons assigned at the start of a mission) mean "per agent"?

thanks!

And as I understand it, the storybook number refers to the whole group not per agent. So if it says 2 improved weapons and you have 3 in your warehouse, the one that doesn't get chosen isn't used in that mission.

I don't have the storybook in front of me, however I would back this up by saying that I'm pretty sure there are missions with 3 improved weapons which wouldn't make sense if it were per agent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I had been assuming that for the campaign game you could start the agents with any/all their improved gear on each scenario -- choose from anything in the HQ. I would have just used the noted number of devices as those are one-time use. I thought the number of weapons guidance at the scenario start would just be for non-campaign mode.

What seemed to be the mitigating factor as far as I could tell was when you get a chance to get a new weapon (during reinforcements or special event or whatever), in campaign mode you draw from all available weapons (that you don't already have in your HQ), whereas in the non-campaign mode, you draw only from generics and weapons of the classes you are actually using. So in campaign mode at the beginning you have a higher chance of getting something useless, if you are playing less than 5 agents.

Certainly one could house-rule this however you want, but I wonder what the intent is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been playing it that they are for the entire group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In campaign mode you can select up to the selected number of improved (or alien weaopons) that you already have researched for the whole group . The advantage over single mission mode is that you can pick. They are random in the single mission mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok but this brings my back initial question:

During mission 1 we obtained 2 improved weapons (one for the Hulk & one for the Sniper), but mission 2 only allows to pick one at the start of the mission.

So Hulk and Sniper players have to discuss who gets an improved weapon at mission start?

The other weapon stays in the warehouse? A bit frustrating I would say. And how is this weapon obtained again, because as it's already in the HQ it can't be drawn again during reinforcement. So it won't be available for that mission at all?

Would be appreciated to get an idea of how this is played correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes001 wrote:
Ok but this brings my back initial question:

During mission 1 we obtained 2 improved weapons (one for the Hulk & one for the Sniper), but mission 2 only allows to pick one at the start of the mission.

Yes.

Ashes001 wrote:
The other weapon stays in the warehouse? A bit frustrating I would say. And how is this weapon obtained again, because as it's already in the HQ it can't be drawn again during reinforcement. So it won't be available for that mission at all?

Yes, it is not available until next mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:

Ashes001 wrote:

Yes, it is not available until next mission.

Okay I re-read the rules, and this does seem to be the way it works.

But it seems a bit lame. I guess eventually the warehouse will be empty of improved weapons and you will be eligible to get alien weapons during reinforcements, but before that, the campaign game seem to be at a disadvantage. It would have the frustrating aspect that you have no chance of getting some of the improved weapons from your HQ that you used in the previous mission. If you don't start the mission with them, you can never get them that mission. Not very logical?

I'm not sure I'm going to play it this way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:
But it seems a bit lame. I guess eventually the warehouse will be empty of improved weapons and you will be eligible to get alien weapons during reinforcements, but before that, the campaign game seem to be at a disadvantage. It would have the frustrating aspect that you have no chance of getting some of the improved weapons from your HQ that you used in the previous mission. If you don't start the mission with them, you can never get them that mission. Not very logical?

I didn't think so either, and asked about it in this thread:

What is the Thematic Reason for the Mission Limits on Weapons in a Campaign?

The best reply, to me, was that there are in fact more Agents of the Agency out there fighting the alien menace, and therefore the weapons aren't always available to your specific team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.