Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I hope this question isn't too vague. A mechanic for bidding (betting? Not sure which is the better term for this) has occured to me and before trying to work it into the game I'm toying around with, I wanted to check intuitions. Does it look understandable and workable?

Also does it resemble some game I'm not aware of?

I describe the mechanic here very abstractly--no details about how hands are scored or anything like that, just the basic facts about how the bidding/betting works.

1. Once hands are dealt, one player (previously designated, known as the "lead") plays a single card.

2. Then, in turn each other player may either may either:

A) Play a single card which causes their hand to be the highest hand on the table, (in which case this player immediately becomes the new lead, and step 2 begins again) or

B) Play any number of cards so long as the result does not cause their hand to tie or beat the highest hand

3. The lead player may now either

A) Play a single card, after which play returns to step 2, or

B) Pass

4) Now each player besides the lead may, in turn, (and does not have to), play a single additional card.

5) Highest hand on the table now wins.

6) At any time during the above, whenever a player is allowed to lay down one or more cards, he may instead call a suit, whereupon each other player must call a suit in turn before any further cards are played. Suits may be called only once per round. A player's called suit has an effect on how his hand is scored.

Edited to Add: This might be too much info, but to explain why I call it a "betting" mechanic, I should note that in the game I'm toying with, cards remaining in hand at the end of a round count for a small number of points each, such that if you play a card and lose the round, you've lost your chance to earn those points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:

2 B) Play any number of cards so long as the result does not cause their hand to tie or beat the highest hand

So ONE card if passing, and taking the lead
Many cards if Less then lead. resulting in um... dumping baby cards.

Seems fine.
very simple I can't tell you if it works because I don't know if you want the points within a trick. or how you can get more cards to play.

Trick taking is an auction I guess.
Haggis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me a bit of the bidding for Chief in Mü. (Mü & Lots More

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.