Alan Eshelman
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Are there any medieval/ancients games out there where you move your armies around on a strategic map, but when battle is joined the gameplay moves to a tactical board?
I'm envisioning most of the action taking place on the strategic level, with the tactical battles being rather quick.

Thanks for any ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring lets you take the battle into strongholds and such. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, you should play it. Because it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno about ancients, but Napoleon in Europe does this - has one big strategic map, but then the battles are performed on tactical maps and are fairly quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperator can be combined with Ancients I and Ancients II for tactical battles.

Trajan: Ancient Wars Series has an optional battle board system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 has a strategic map and a "tactical" battle board - left, right center, etc. It's not extravagant, but seems to be well liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
falafel007 wrote:
Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 has a strategic map and a "tactical" battle board - left, right center, etc. It's not extravagant, but seems to be well liked.

Bobby Lee and (I assume) Sam Grant use the same battle map, although I think Napoleon is a better introduction.

I can't think of anything ancient or medieval that fits the criteria, unless you're looking at computer games. Then the obvious choice is the original Rome: Total War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
falafel007 wrote:

That is a good game. On the same subject, Waterloo: The Fate of France has a tactical system that is a bit more detailed.

If fantasy is an option, Titan is a classic game with a master board for strategic movement and tactical battle boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
falafel007 wrote:

That is a good game. On the same subject, Waterloo: The Fate of France has a tactical system that is a bit more detailed.

If fantasy is an option, Titan is a classic game with a master board for strategic movement and tactical battle boards.

Yeah, Titan was the first thing that came to my mind for having a separate board for battles. It's not really my thing game-wise but a bunch of people in my group adore it, so I'm pretty sure it's good. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
rshipley wrote:
falafel007 wrote:

Yeah, Titan was the first thing that came to my mind for having a separate board for battles. It's not really my thing game-wise but a bunch of people in my group adore it, so I'm pretty sure it's good. :laugh:

+1 Titan Outstanding game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
Yeah, Titan was the first thing that came to my mind for having a separate board for battles. It's ... really my thing game-wise ... I'm pretty sure it's good. laugh

Straight from your mouth! Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Happymrdave wrote:
Yeah, Titan was the first thing that came to my mind for having a separate board for battles. It's ... really my thing game-wise ... I'm pretty sure it's good. laugh

Straight from your mouth! Huzzah!

I'm pretty sure you have a bright future as a news editor if engineering doesn't work out for any reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games come to my mind:
Bellum Gallicum II
Trajan

Both have a map where u move your army units and a special section where you fight it out when a battle takes place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Commander: Alexander does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Ventura (sort of). You move around on a modular map. When a battle occurs, you arrange your troops (cards) in an "order of battle" and then resolve the combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
If you don't mind something old-school, the game Demonlord is played on a large hex-map, but when forces meet and battle, the battle is moved to a smaller off board setup that represents battle lines meeting each other, where each individual unit/character matters and has it's own attacks, armor type, etc.

the game is really only available as a print-and-play, though. I made a copy and it's fun, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Eshelman
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the recommendations! I will study up on your suggestions and see what scratches that particular itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There is also Stratiotika: (www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27756/stratiotika)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, try VI Against Rome. It covers six major wars throughout the history of the Roman Empire. Movement on the strategic map is point to point, but battles are resolved on a separate tactical display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.