Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,

I know it has a lot of cards and texts. My question is: besides the rulebook which components should I have to work with translations? Only the cards?

(A friend of mine offered me a German copy of this game but if my English is weak, you can imagine my German... lol)

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core combat and trading aren't language dependent. But all the captain, rumor, event and glory cards are all language dependent. Plus the map locations have special rules and there are probably some other things that are as well. I'd say it's pretty language heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very heavy, possibly one of the language-heaviest games there is. You cannot really play it at all unless you speak the language of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
It's very heavy, possibly one of the language-heaviest games there is. You cannot really play it at all unless you speak the language of the game.

But if I have the cards translations and maybe a side paper with the map locations translations... how hard do you think it's gonna be to play? Do I need to check the locations text every time or it's just sometimes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivaben wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

But if I have the cards translations and maybe a side paper with the map locations translations... how hard do you think it's gonna be to play? Do I need to check the locations text every time or it's just sometimes?

Hey migo, I really think it's going to demand epic work for this to work out... something close to impossible.

Olha amigo, acho que vai ser um trabalho épico... algo próximo do impossível.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivaben wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

There are A LOT of cards to paste up so it would be a chore. But once done, you should be fine. You could also paste up the board, but I think after a few games you'll mostly memorize the Sea zone abilities and be fine occasionally looking at a translation as a reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Rivaben wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

There are A LOT of cards to paste up so it would be a chore. But once done, you should be fine. You could also paste up the board, but I think after a few games you'll mostly memorize the Sea zone abilities and be fine occasionally looking at a translation as a reminder.

Well, unless his intention is to play it a lot he is really going to be consulting the board and reading the cards all the time. Also, for this to work out, one needs to print the english rulebook, all the sheets and all. Oh! And if you intend to use sleeves for pasting the texts, boy, you will sure need a lot of sleeves (quite an expensive journey if you ask me!).

I believe it's akin to making a print and play version of the game, but what do I know?

But all this points to the real question: isn't it easier and cheaper (after all, time is money), to just... buy an english copy of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Rivaben
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafael Ramus wrote:

But all this points to the real question: isn't it easier and cheaper (after all, time is money), to just... buy an english copy of the game?

Yeah, it seems this makes more sense!

Thank you for the feedback, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.