Triumvirate» Forums » Variants

Subject: A suggested misdeal rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am posting this twice so that more people might notice it. My post originally appears in the thread Travis started having to do with proposed starting hands. It seems to me one of the few problems with this game is that a bad initial draw or two can really spoil the fun. When the initial card draws are "fair" the game is usually very interesting, but if the one person gets all good cards it can seem to leave a bad taste. This is just based on my experience which is limited so correct me if I am wrong.

OK here is quote from Travis's suggestion in the other thread:

T Worthington wrote:
Balanced: both players having 3 or 4 cards in all three suits is very boring and lead directly to the comments that the game plays on rails, or Unbalanced: a player without points cards, or a player starting with three sevens (less than 5% odds, but it happens) can also lead to a route.

Travis: instead of going through all this rigamarole, would it not be simpler to simply have a misdeal rule on the first hand? I do not have experience to say what it should be, but if the first hand is too weak then the players should have the option to start over as a misdeal.

In my limited experience the only thing I see throwing off the game is where one player has pledged most of the good cards and seems to have a hammer lock on two of the suits. This might leave a sour taste in the mouth and it seems to me, the luck of the cards often is the difference between a very interesting game of triumverate and a ho hum, so what, game of Triumverate.

If a player does not get a least one good card to pledge, then maybe that would be a misdeal? What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
sundaysilence wrote:
If a player does not get a least one good card to pledge, then maybe that would be a misdeal? What do you think?

I suppose you could do this if it makes the gaming experience better for you. But in a game this short (suggested playing time 15 minutes), I'm not sure how adding rules to correct a perceived and unlikely balance issue makes sense. It's a card game. So I expect that every now and again the cards are going to beat up on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
well yes, that is part of why I like cards, sometimes you still lose anyhow, which doesnt make great analysis, but often helps create drama.

But if you're questioning why I made suggestion, it was the games creator that made the original suggestion to make a more fair initial deal if desired. My suggestion is trying to be an improvment: rather than go through all that rigamarole, just start the game over. A misdeal is a simple way to correct that.

Whether it needs correcting is open to question, so I get where you are coming from. It is indeed a short game, and that is a nice thing about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.