Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT (1/30)
Images below are dated - most recent versions are available as both .eon and .pdf at the drop box site.

V1.2 can be found at dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzhjtpjplvmt5h6/The%20Lurking%20Fe...

• V1.2 (1/30/15)
o Added Box
o Added Arthur Monroe as an ally
o Added anti dilution rule for weather events
o Converted Lurking Fear Herald to a Scenario Card
o Update victory conditions in rules and on Scenario card
o Clarified rules on Lurking Fear allies
o Fixed typos and reduced text for readability
o Change location images and conditions to reflect feedback from Jacob Busby
o Add location conditions to board and rules
o Update posting permissions to include two additional sites
o Added Lurking Fear expansion icon

My other expansions (biggest to smallest)
South Seas Tales: - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1407233/fan-created-expansi...
The Rats in the Walls -https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1262127/fan-made-expansion-...
The Horror at Red Hook - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1204791/horror-red-hook-lat...

Welcome any feedback from the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Mini Expansion - The Lurking Fear
Looks really good, especially the board. Started designing a Lurking Fear scenario of my own last year (but of course I never finished it) Whenever there were storms at Tempest Mt, all sorts of crazy stuff would happen. Gotta dig out my notes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a cool small expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules, Eon Files and Image Files can be found at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzhjtpjplvmt5h6/The%20Lurking%20Fe...

I have updated this to a complete version of the mini expansion. Please note that the images above have been updated and are at the drop box link.

The Lurking Fear
Version 1.0

Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Lurking Fear”… Something horrible lives in the old Martense Mansion, located high in the remotest part of the Catskills. Do you have the courage to explore your family’s terrible legacy? …

Note: Requires Base Arkham Horror Game to Play

Contents:
- New game board (1): Tempest Mountain Mini Board
- New Herald (1): The Lurking Fear
- New Monsters (7): Spawn Monsters: Lurker, Lurker Behemoth
- Location Cards (8): Encounters for Leffert’s Corner
- Tempest Mountain Weather Cards (8): Special environment cards that deal with effects of the particular violent weather on the remote peak
- Personal Story Card (4): Reveal the legacy of your ancient Dutch ancestors
- Martense Secret (1): Discover the horrible secret of the hill
- Rumbling Thunder (1): Difficulty Card, used to increase frequency of weather events and gate openings

Game Changes Overview

- Uses all standard rules
- Adds special conditions to be executed whenever the Mythos Card indicates Gate or Clue activity at the Black Cave
- Tempest Mountain Weather cards used to drive special environmental effects on Mini Board only
- Substitute personal history card for Players to introduce Martense Family History

Revised Set Up

- Set up game per standard rules
- Set up Mini Board next to Main Game Board
- Place Lurking Fear Herald Card next to Ancient One. Then place the Lurker, Lurker Behemoth Spawn Monsters and the Martense Secret on the Herald Card
- Set up Tempest Mountain Weather Deck: Shuffle 5 Day (Green) Cards, Shuffle 3 Night (Purple) Cards and Place Green card on top of Purple Cards to form deck
- One player should substitute their standard Personal History with the Martense Family History

Revised Game Play
- All standard rules apply
- The Phrase “In Arkham” applies to the Tempest Mountain Mini Board

- Mythos Phase (Gates)
- If a gate is to be opened on the Black Cave but the location is closed, sealed or already has a gate, place the gate on the Martense Mansion location instead. A monster surge does not occur at the Black Cave if Gate is placed at Martense Mansion. Open Gate at Martense Mansion using normal rules – place monster, add to doom track etc. Gate at Martense Mansion may be closed, sealed etc… per normal rules. No Gate is placed if the Martense Mansion has been closed

- Mythos Phase (Weather)
- If the Mythos Card specifies a gate or a clue should appear at the Black Cave, draw a Tempest Mountain Weather Card and place it into effect on the Tempest Mountain Board. A newly drawn Tempest Mountain Weather Card always replaces the current card in effect. Tempest Mountain Weather Card cause no effects on any other board but the Tempest Mountain mini board (other than raising Terror Level or adding to the Doom Track). Once the Horde Burst Forth card is drawn or Martense Mansion is closed, no further draws from the Tempest Mountain Weather deck should occur

- Movement
- Investigators may travel to/from the Train Station to Leffert's Corner by spending 2 Movement Points and paying $1. Similarly they may return from Leffert’s Corner to the Train Station by spending 2 Movement Points and spending $1.
- Investigators may travel to Leffert’s Corner via the the Black Cave as follows: (i) Player enters Black Cave, has an encounter and ends turn and Spends 2 Movement Points to travel to Leffert’s Corner the following turn. To return, the player enters Leffert’s Corner and ends turn. Spends 2 Movement Points to travel from Leffert’s Corner to the Black Cave and have an encounter.

- Monsters

- Spawn monsters are not placed in the Monster Cup but rather enter play via Location Cards and Tempest Mountain Weather cards
- Spawn monsters count towards the Monster Limit
- Spawn monsters may travel from the Tempest Mountain mini board through Leffert’s Corner to the Black Cave on the main board by following the arrows as indicated

New Rules FAQ
Q: Does the investigator retain the three clue tokens when taking the Martense Secret Card
A: No. (you could allow this for an easier version of the game).

Q: Does the same investigator need to put the three clue tokens on the Martense Secret Card
A: No. (you could make this a requirement for a harder version of the game).

Q: Can I discard the Martense Secret card at any point or do I need to follow the requirements on the Lurker Fear Herald card
A: The Martense Secret can only be discarded to close the mansion using the conditions on the Herald card. They are not listed on the Martense Secret card due to space limitations.

Q: Why am I delayed when I discard the Martense Secret at the Newspaper?
A: If you are too cowardly to address the menace yourself, you will need to wait and supervise while your hired men destroy your secret family shame.

Q: Do Tempest Mountain Weather Cards affect the main board?
A: No

Q: What happens if the Tempest Mountain Weather Cards are exhausted?
A: Should only happen if the Hoard Bursts Forth Card is drawn and which point all cards are removed from play and these cards are no longer drawn

Q: If the Mythos Card requires both a gate opening and a clue appearance at the Black Cave, do I draw two Tempest Mountain Weather Cards?
A: Should never happen, but if it does then no, draw only once per turn

Q: If a Gate is opened or a clue placed at the Black Cave as a result of an item, a spell or a location encounter, do I draw a Tempest Mountain Weather Cards
A: No.

Mini Expansion Designer’s Notes
After building a large box expansion to the Arkham Horror Game, it was obvious that many people do not have the time or patience to print out and construct a large box expansion. I wanted to see if I could develop a smaller, more compact expansion that could be printed on 4-6 pages that still added interesting new elements to an already excellent game.

1. Overview
I wanted a compact expansion that focused around a single theme, so I used elements from a single story. Much of the text is copied directly from the HPL story.

The Lurking Fear essentially introduces a new neighborhood for the players to explore. Events are triggered in the new location based on existing game mechanics so there is no need to integrate updated materials into the base game.

Players need to be motivated to explore new location – hence the introduction of the personal story variant as a source of potential reward. In addition, the possibility of a gate opening and a mini monster surge is also introduced as an inducement to address the Martense mystery. I tried to balance the difficulty of the encounters to be similar to some of the more challenging elements of the base game.

2. Herald
The Herald Card is a great way to introduce atmosphere and new game mechanics. I did not create the Lurking Fear as an Ancient One as it does not rise to the level of Cosmic Evil in the original story nor is the Lurking Fear intended to be the main thrust of a play session. It is intended more as an interesting diversion.

3. Tempest Environment Cards
The weather on Tempest Mountain is central to the story telling in the Lurking Fear. Creating localized environment cards felt like a good way to convey that atmosphere and drive activity on the board. The use of multi colored cards to increase the difficulty over time of the deck is taken directly from the structure of Corruptions Cards and the Epic Battle variant.

4. Mini Board
I love the use of smaller supplemental boards as they provide a condensed location to capture a theme and can be paired with location cards to provide a very tailored experience.

Sources/Inspirations
Most of this work is derived from Lurking Fear. The artwork of the various pulp magazines of the 1920’-30’s is a rich source of visual materials and I appreciate the efforts of the PulpCovers.com website to make these images available for viewing.

While I did not intentionally copy any features from the numerous online fan expansions, I am sure that I have duplicated thoughts from any number of posting on the board game geek website. In particular, I am indebted to the creators of the Curse of the Golden Scarab, the Vermont Horror, Dreamlands, the Mountains of Madness and the Door to Saturn as inspiration to make my own expansion. I appreciate the time and effort that has gone into these creations and do not wish to claim credit for any ideas that may be derived from them.

Copyright and Posting
The author has agreed to post this work to www.boardgamegeek.com and no other site.

The author retains all rights associated with this effort and the work may not be reproduced, re used or reposted, in part or in whole, without express written consent from the author.

The work includes all documentation communicating the rules, designer notes and game pieces in .eon and .jpg files.

Please contact author via board game geek with questions or requests to post in another location. Failure to respond does not imply consent.

Release Notes

• v0.1 (5/30)– Release of initial game elements for feedback
o Mini Board
o Herald
o Spawn Monsters
o Tempest Environment Cards
o Personal Story Cards
o Martense Secret Benefit Card

• V1.0(6/1) – Remaining elements are published as a complete set
o Completed Rule Text
o Updated board to better reflect location card contents
o Improved reward on the Martense Family Heritage Card
o Updated Herald text to better reflect Martense secret rules
o Added difficulty card
o Complete set of location Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great! Hope I'm healthy enough soon to try it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This looks like an excellent piece of work which is respectful of the source material. I'll read through it and send you some feedback. In the meantime, what size should the map be reprinted to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arutha ConDoin
Belgium
Dilsen - Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnhakl wrote:
Contents:
- New game board (1): Tempest Mountain Mini Board
- New Herald (1): The Lurking Fear
- New Monsters (7): Spawn Monsters: Lurker, Lurker Behemoth
- Location Cards (8): Encounters for Leffert’s Corner
- Tempest Mountain Weather Cards (8): Special environment cards that deal with effects of the particular violent weather on the remote peak
- Personal Story Card (4): Reveal the legacy of your ancient Dutch ancestors
- Martense Secret (1): Discover the horrible secret of the hill
- Rumbling Thunder (1): Difficulty Card, used to increase frequency of weather events and gate openings

Personal stories were introduced in the Innsmouth expansion if I'm correct. I don't have that. Do we need it to play this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look in the rules word file at the drop box site, there are details for how the personal stories are played. If it is still not clear, message me and I will update with further details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is sized to fit a standard letter printer 8.5" x 11".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn,

It looks very good. One quick item after a cursory review of the Arkham Encounter cards...watch spelling/grammar, as the cards state, "...you make take it." in reference to Clue tokens.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback. Here is an updated version of game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzhjtpjplvmt5h6/The%20Lurking%20Fe...

Release notes:

V1.1 (6/6) – Updated based on feedback from Boardgamegeek.com
o Rules and Q&As updated based on questions received
o Thank you to Jacob Busby in particular for extensive feedback
o Updated Board Title
o Fixed numerous typos on the cards
o Add the Martense secret track. Ability to seal the mansion is now based on number of players rather than a fixed amount.
o Added allies – George Bennett taken from Jacob’s Lovecraft Country expansion with his permission
o Add ability to travel to the Tempest Mountain board from other expansions including the Vermont Horror expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
V1.2 can be found at dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzhjtpjplvmt5h6/The%20Lurking%20Fe...

We have continued to play this expansion and made minor modifications as a result of those sessions. In addition, Jacob Busby has provided some great alternative approaches to the expansion.

The biggest specific rule change was to add a new victory requirement that any open gate at Martense mansion must be sealed in order to win so that players had more incentive to travel to expansion board.

Also changed mandatory herald card to a large format scenario card (you will need to have the large format scenario add on installed in Strange Eons to edit this)

• V1.2 (1/30/15)
o Added Box
o Added Arthur Monroe as an ally
o Added anti dilution rule for weather events
o Converted Lurking Fear Herald to a Scenario Card
o Update victory conditions in rules and on Scenario card
o Clarified rules on Lurking Fear allies
o Fixed typos and reduced text for readability
o Change location images and conditions to reflect feedback from Jacob Busby
o Add location conditions to board and rules
o Update posting permissions to include two additional sites
o Added Lurking Fear expansion icon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stallion
msg tools
We had a game session last Friday. We tried this expansion with a lot of fun!
Thanks a lot to Shawn H.!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.