Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again,

I would like to give a light miniature skirmish game a test run with my lady, lovely as she is. She seemed interested so after trying a game of X Wing for the first time with a coworkers set it occurred to me this was easy to pick up, fun to play, and may be a good starting point before something like Deadzone or if it ever coms out Shadowrun Sprawlgangers, fingers crossed on that one however they have been crossed for so long they are really getting cramped.

In any case my only concern is price vs replay-ability for X Wing so I figured I would at least price out a good starter fleet for her and I.

My main question is what would one recommend for a good 2 starter fleets. Good meaning versatile in that we can have some options for customization in play style, at least enough ships for a larger all in battle and the ability to swap ships in rotation for an average sized battle. Should I get 2 base sets and some expansions, would I be better off with one base set and some expansions, how many and which expansions, and so on. If you would be so kind as to break the list at bear minimum recommendation proceeding the remainder of you recommendation per above so if we move forward I can start with the minimal investment and if she digs it purchase the remainder that would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I would consider 100 points to be the minimum for decent games (that's the tournament level for squads).

Much less than that, and you just don't get enough on the table. More and it gets too much.

A game at this point size usually takes about an hour. Sometimes a little more, depending on how fast you play, of course.

Now what do you need for some decent lists with some variation?

One Core Set is a must, naturally.
A second Core Set is useful, since it is a fairly efficient way to get more X-Wings and TIE Fighters, which you can easily use more of. Both are really solid ships, that even today are in the majority of tournament lists.

To add some more variation with pilots and upgrades, the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansion are also highly recommended.

Since you want some different ships as well, getting an Y-Wing and a TIE Interceptor should work well.

Then there are the large ships, the two most iconic ones being the Millennium Falcon and the Slave I. Both are great and can really mix things up. You do not really need them at first, but they would be a great second step.

The B-Wing and TIE Bomber are also nice, but I would get them later, if you feel you need some more variance.

The HWK-290 and the Imperial Shuttle are mostly support ships that work a bit different than the others, I would also reserve them for later.

I would only get the A-Wing and the TIE Advanced for completion's sake (or if you really want Darth Vader, he is one of the TIE Advanced pilots), but from the ships that are out there, they add the least to their side.

The really big ships (Rebel Transport, Tantive IV) are for another play format (Epic), so not much reason to get those early. Concentrate on the basic game at first.

Oh, and there are the Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces, but I guess you can easily skip those, initially.

And soon there is the upcoming Wave 4 (Z-95 Headhunter, E-Wing, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom).

So, what does this mean for a starting fleet with a bit of variation?

2x Core Set (1x X-Wing, 2x TIE Fighter included in each)
1x X-Wing
1x Y-Wing
maybe 1x Millennium Falcon
1x TIE Fighter
1x TIE Interceptor
maybe 1x Slave I

That gives you enough options to play around with some different builds (3-4 ships for Rebels and 5-6 ships for the Empire).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you plan to play in tournaments, you don't really need the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions. If you want to fly the pilots, just print out the cards.

I too recommend two core boxes. The extra dice are really helpful when you need to roll more than three, the extra templates make things easier and one damage deck for both sides is good as well.

I would probably start in this order:
2x Core Set
1x B-Wing
1x TIE Advanced (for Vader, although TIE Advanced is not very popular in tournaments)
1x Imperial Aces (for two TIE Interceptors)
1x Millennium Falcon

But you can also start with two core sets, try out the game and then try to figure out which ships you would like to fly and go from there.

I got Y-Wing and TIE Advanced after the core sets, B-Wing and TIE Bomber next, and Imperial Aces and Millennium Falcon are the latest.

See also the discussions in
Balanced Starter Set
What else should I get?

(Edit: Btw, this thread should probably be in the X-Wing Miniatures Game's forum. You may want to ask to move it. See the red X at the top.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your detailed responses. Very much appreciated.

Quote:
(Edit: Btw, this thread should probably be in the X-Wing Miniatures Game's forum. You may want to ask to move it. See the red X at the top.)

I marked it to be moved per your comment above. I wasn't sure where to post as this was both a request for a recommendation and specific to X-Wing.

Thanks again,
Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, personal preference is also an important factor.

Which ships do you like the most?

The two Core Sets are pretty much a must-have (one can be enough to start out, but eventually you simply want a second for all the reasons outlined above).

From there, there are plenty choices...

X-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, Millennium Falcon will be the most useful Rebel expansions.

TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, Slave I will be the most useful Empire expansions.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Of course, personal preference is also an important factor.

Which ships do you like the most?

Truthfully I like them all. I had a few of the Star Wars toys as a child. So which ones I get isn't really an issue for me. More towards which will be most fun to play per the above. Though I may get the falcon regardless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

The two Core Sets are pretty much a must-have (one can be enough to start out, but eventually you simply want a second for all the reasons outlined above).

For someone who doesn't have too much affinity for any groups of ships and is not looking to buy everything at the moment or play in tourneys anytime soon, do you think two core sets is enough to play for a while without getting burnt out on it? I actually bought two yesterday and keep looking at X/Tie expansions and some of the Tie variants and other lettered-wings, but I want to try to start off kind of small with this. There are no tournaments (or even any FLGS for that matter) within thousands of miles of me, so I am not looking to get really competitive. I've read the rule book on the FFG site and it looks like there is quite a bit of game play in one starter. I am just kind of worried that after two or three games, my coworker and I might be bored with 2 X-Wings and 4 Ties.

If you think it is absolutely necessary to pick something else up, I can consider it some more (although if I got anything, I would want dat Lambda). Just wanted to get some opinions on it. I actually posted in one of those threads that was already linked ITT, but I think it has been buried already. Those forums move pretty quickly.

(sorry to hijack your thread Todd)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ha. Voc
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

To add some more variation with pilots and upgrades, the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansion are also highly recommended.

I wonder if I could just ask in this thread - as Im in a similar position - are you saying that the xwing and tie expansions, contain different cards to the core set?

I'd never considered that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Havocbrighton wrote:
are you saying that the xwing and tie expansions, contain different cards to the core set?

Yes, they have a few very popular pilots with good abilities (the top ones being Wedge and Howlrunner, respectively). But unless you play in tournaments and need to have the actual cards and tokens to be legal, for casual play you can just print out the cards you need and go for a variety of ship models instead of pilots. I did so, although I later got the cards in a trade (maybe even eventually getting the expansions themselves).

See for example
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wik...
to see which cards come with which expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ha. Voc
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok thanks, didn't realise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYEL1NER wrote:
For someone who doesn't have too much affinity for any groups of ships and is not looking to buy everything at the moment or play in tourneys anytime soon, do you think two core sets is enough to play for a while without getting burnt out on it?

For a while? Certainly. Especially, if you are just starting.

It's million times more playable than a single Core Set.

But, yeah, you will want to have at least a few other ships after a while.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
[q="EYEL1NER"]
For a while? Certainly. Especially, if you are just starting.

It's million times more playable than a single Core Set.

But, yeah, you will want to have at least a few other ships after a while.

Bye
Thanee

Good to hear it, thanks a lot.
I do have plans to buy the expansions, but I have a feeling that if I start buying them now while waiting on the starters to arrive, I will end up going on a spree and buying them all before I have even played the game.
I think my first purchase after playing the core sets will be a good vinyl mat and then some expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice playmat is a good idea. Not only is it useful, but it also looks good.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are pretty locked in on X-Wing, but I had a suggestion if you were still looking at other light skirmish games as well. Since you are wondering about how much gameplay you would be getting in just one set have you tried looking at Warhammer: Diskwars? It's the same price as the X-Wing starter set but instead of 3 ships it comes with 4 whole armies worth of units.

Of course, the units are cardboard disks, not great-looking prepainted minis, so you have to factor how important that is into the equation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
It sounds like you are pretty locked in on X-Wing, but I had a suggestion if you were still looking at other light skirmish games as well. Since you are wondering about how much gameplay you would be getting in just one set have you tried looking at Warhammer: Diskwars? It's the same price as the X-Wing starter set but instead of 3 ships it comes with 4 whole armies worth of units.

Of course, the units are cardboard disks, not great-looking prepainted minis, so you have to factor how important that is into the equation.

I'm not dead set in any direction though at this point it's looking like X-Wing will be the way I go. Additional suggestion outside of this are always welcome however I previously looked into Warhammer: Diskwars. It may sound a little nit picky but the end over end movement mechanic seemed annoying to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I forgot to add

EYEL1NER wrote:

(sorry to hijack your thread Todd)

Your more then welcome to tack on more as you seem to be in the same boat as I. You may ask or get answers to questions I didn't think to ask. In any case your just bringing more information to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok sorry for the rapid fire postings, but order in.

Here's what I ended up ordering for a good verity based off of this thread:

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game (X2) - Just from recommendations.

Star Wars: X-Wing - Y-Wing Expansion Pack - Just from recommendations.

Star Wars: X-Wing - B-Wing Expansion Pack - - From recommendations and to have bombs on both sides.

Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack - Just from recommendations.

Star Wars: X-Wing - TIE Bomber Expansion Pack - From recommendations and I wanted bombs.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
&
Summoner Wars: Master Set

What… Where did those last two come from? whistle I have a problem shake

I will hold off on ordering extra X-Wing and TIE Fighter for now and possiably print the cards if needed. From here if my lady enjoys the game I plan to follow up with a Millennium Falcon & Slave I.

Thanks again to all who contributed,
Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a Rebel fighter with bombs. They do have lots of torpedos, though.

The only ones with bombs are the Slave I and the TIE Bomber.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apenheul
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good list. You could've easily done with just one expansion for each side if you want to do 100 points games (for example I've made two 100 points squads using two base games, a Tie Advanced and an Y-Wing) but the extra expansions will allow you to experiment with not just swapping pilots and upgrades out but also with different ships. Well done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can easily fit all of those into a single 100 pts game as well.

So, there is quite some room for experimenting with cheaper (and therefore more) and pricier (and therefore less) pilots, too.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I don't think there is a Rebel fighter with bombs. They do have lots of torpedos, though.

The only ones with bombs are the Slave I and the TIE Bomber.

Bye
Thanee

Whoops, looks like you are correct. Well thats what I get for ordering on little sleep late at night lol. Meh no regrets, but thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.