Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheng Lin
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I just got this game and read through the rules. Everything seems great except a few thematic things I don't understand. When I teach a new game I like to tie the mechanics to the theme.

1. Who are the players playing as? The intro states that we are "those who pull the strings... from the shadows." This isn't enough for me. What does this correlate to in real life? What kind of entity would be able to "pull the strings from the shadows?" A large shareholder? A CEO from a rival company? Some random rich guy?

2. Why does a failed bribe attempt let you remove another players employee?

3. What does the moron event card represent? In what real-life situation would a communications department be charged money to pay out to other people if they extend the time before the next director's meeting?

4. The legal & patents fires an employee for influence. If an employee files a patent shouldn't they get rewarded/promoted? Why would they get fired? Maybe the employee leaked a patent outside of the company and got fired, but then why do you get an influence point?

Obviously, these mechanics are fine/necessary for the game, I'm just trying to connect them thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F T
Colombia
Bogota
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. When I learned this game, I thought it had so many rules and details that you needed to try to understand it using theme and the "spirit" of the game. And that helped a lot. So I get your point.

1. Difficult one. In fact, you do not have an exact "person" to refer to. Think of the players as one of the owners of the company, that has enough power even to appoint a chairman and create offices inside a company. Donald Trump? Any other powerful businessman will do.

2. This is a pressure element. Plain extortion. "If you do not accept my offer, you know I have the power to fire one of your employees and undermine your influence in a department..."

3. The rules explain it better. It is just a mechanic to make YOU (player) feel like an idiot for not paying attention to what you do. I do not think about it in a real life situation, but you can think of it as "your department is not paying attention, and you need to compensate everyone with your money for your incompetence".

4. It is only 1 department, but inside it they handle different issues. It is not "legal matters regarding patents". It is "legal matters" ( including employees contracts) and "patents we handle". So, to show that you have influence in the company, a laywer found that an employee used Internet to browse BGG, that is against regulations, and fires him/her. You (and the lawyer) are standing at the door as the employee leaves, smiling, like saying "I have the power to fire you, and you don't, and there is nothingr you can do about it". (Yes this can be a very mean game).

In short, one of the main ideas of the game is that you can do whatever you want in order to get what you want (show influence, get shares, etc). It is about power, and showing that you have it.

Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheng Lin
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Your answer to 3 still doesn't make sense to me. How does "paying attention" relate to the length of time before a board meeting, since this is what it seems to penalize. We took 2 extra cards (which symbolizes an arbitrary length of time) until our next board meeting which means your department wasn't paying attention?

Your reasoning for 4 is kind of a stretch, but even so how does the patent part come in?

Also, one more thing I forgot to add is

5. Why does the head of the board members have to leave when a new person comes in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F T
Colombia
Bogota
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3- ok, this is my explanation for that mechanic. But in fact, thematically it does not have much sense. That is why in page 8 you read "The Moron Event card is designed to prevent all rounds from being made up of 7 Department Turns". It works for mechanics, not theme.

4- Again, do not think as Patents and Legal as one. They are both under the same department, but handled by different groups. If it helps, forget completely about Patents. Just call that department Legal and it has more sense.

5- this also has to do with mechanics more than theme. If you need an explanation, I imagine that this company has an internal rule that says that the head of the board has to leave if a new member arrives, because "it is the right thing to do, to allow newcomers to advance inside the company".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3. The communications director is a moron if he adds that card to his agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.