Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bylsma
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my starter set in today and played my first game. We did have some trouble understanding a specific situation and how the rules should go.

The Action Card "Force Beam" states that it would do 1 damage to each character. Say during my roll step, I roll a 3/3 Spiderman, 1/1 Sidekick, and the action symbol for that die. If I use the action before fielding any of my characters, do they take the damage? Basically are characters immune from effects will still in the reserve pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Character faces in reserve aren't characters until their fielding cost (if any) is paid and they are put into the field, so they wouldn't take damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Jones
msg tools
We had this same question but came to a different conclusion.

The rule book at page 20 "more about dice" says that rolled dice in your reserve pool are considered to be whatever their face is.

We concluded then that when showing a character face in the reserve pool that it was a character die. And therefore would experience the effect of force beam whether fielded or not.

I'd love some official clarification on this though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joejonesonline wrote:

The rule book at page 20 "more about dice" says that rolled dice in your reserve pool are considered to be whatever their face is.

We concluded then that when showing a character face in the reserve pool that it was a character die. And therefore would experience the effect of force beam whether fielded or not.

One the previous page, #19, it has the following:
Quote:
Fundamental Rules
Unless otherwise stated, game effects can only target character dice that are in the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
"
"

This is being said due to the fact that the reserve pool dice Might, or are capable to be used throughout the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter what they are in the reserve pool, actually. As Curt said above, Pg 19, dice in the reserve pool are not affected by anything unless specifically stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keebler Powell
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
crambaza wrote:
joejonesonline wrote:

One the previous page, #19, it has the following:
Quote:
Fundamental Rules
Unless otherwise stated, game effects can only target character dice that are in the field.

I could maybe see your point here if force beam was worded differently. But force beam does not target at all. It just deals damage to all characters.

A good solve to this would be a FAQ that says when a die is considered to be a character and when it's not.

I totally understand the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see no confusion here. The rulebook is very clear on this, plus the example on page 10 further clarifies it.

Quote:
"Eric, Turn 3"
Eric’s bag is empty, so he moves the
dice from his used pile (7 sidekicks, 1
Force Beam and 1 Captain America) into
his bag. He draws three sidekick dice and a Force Beam die.
For his roll and reroll step, he ends up with a final result of mask, shield, sidekick, and
a Force Beam (with no bursts).
In his main step, Eric first uses the Force Beam. It does one damage to Eric’s lone sidekick
and one damage each to Mike’s three sidekicks (all of which are in the field).
Since
each sidekick took one damage and has a defense of one, they are all knocked out and go
to their owner’s prep areas. Eric places the Force Beam die in his used pile.
Next he uses his mask and shield to buy a
Beast, and places those dice in his used pile.
Finally, he sends his sidekick to the field. He
doesn't attack with it.

The only characters affected by the force beam were in the field. The sidekick in the reserve pool was not affected because, as mentioned earlier, game effects can only target character dice in the field unless otherwise stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeblerpowell wrote:
I could maybe see your point here if force beam was worded differently. But force beam does not target at all. It just deals damage to all characters.

Remember, while this game has many similarities to Magic: The gathering, try not to read rules from that game into this one when they aren't there. Magic has a clear understanding of "Target" vs. "blanket" effects. Thus things like "Destroy all creatures" can kill creatures that are immune to being "targetted", such as Hexproof and Shroud. However, that definition of "target" doesn't exist in Dicemasters. What the rulebook is saying is that nothing can affect cards in the reserve pool unless they are specifically supposed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.