Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven O'Shea
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly does this work? Top Hat allows a player to use buildings owned by other players without paying the owner. So owning a building with one top hat allows this for the whole game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Bay

Prescott Valley
AZ
msg tools
oshfarms wrote:
How exactly does this work? Top Hat allows a player to use buildings owned by other players without paying the owner. So owning a building with one top hat allows this for the whole game?

That is essentially correct. What we have done is made a house rule, that in order not to have to pay the owner of a building for using it, a player has to have more Top Hats than the owner of the building. We also housed ruled, that ties do not count.
What this does is, makes the Top Hat not as broken in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Bay wrote:
oshfarms wrote:

That is essentially correct. What we have done is made a house rule, that in order not to have to pay the owner of a building for using it, a player has to have more Top Hats than the owner of the building. We also housed ruled, that ties do not count.
What this does is, makes the Top Hat not as broken in my opinion.

I've read that a number of people are using that house rule, but just to be sure, the official rule does not make top hats broken by any means...

Most of the icons net you some goods worth of benefit - coins allow you to ship fewer goods to buy a building, warehouses give you a rebate of goods, anchors allow you to collect more goods. Top Hat's only allow you flexibility. If you have a top hat and never visit an opponent's building, that's no different than not having a top hat, whereas you won't ever have a coin or warehouse and not use it. In fact, you might never need to use a top hat even if you want to - just based on which buildings are out there and which ones get bought by players.

Each icon has a power level, and the cost of the buildings takes that power level into account. People are welcome to play by a house rule, but note that you are changing the power level of the cards when you do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rule question with the Top Hat...The rules mention that you can pay someone using a good gained as part of the building's action. Does it follow that if you gained a top hat, then you do not need to pay? For example, I use an opponent's starting building to buy "Lumber Yard" which has a Top Hat. Do I need to pay the resource for using the starter building?

Note that I am playing against myself to get the rules straight so I do not care either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
neato78 wrote:
Another rule question with the Top Hat...The rules mention that you can pay someone using a good gained as part of the building's action. Does it follow that if you gained a top hat, then you do not need to pay? For example, I use an opponent's starting building to buy "Lumber Yard" which has a Top Hat. Do I need to pay the resource for using the starter building?

Note that I am playing against myself to get the rules straight so I do not care either way.

You would still have to pay a good. The Top Hat would not take effect until your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that didn't dawn on me until just now from my POD play...

The Top Hat essentially _removes_ a very carefully added element of strategy from the game.
There are a ton of Top Hat buildings, and it doesn't take long before everybody has one, which eliminates the "pay to use an opponent's building" rule.
Thus, the strategic element of maybe buying a building that is worth less VPs because it has a great action and thus can generate income for me is moot.
I think a _much_ better use of the Top Hat would have been to limit it to only one or 2 player cards as another special ability.

One more downside to Top Hats - once you have one, more don't do any good. One player in my group was the Diplomat, his strategy was to buy all the Top Hat buildings denying the rest of us the benefit. Well as previously stated, there are a ton of Top Hat buildings, so a) his strategy failed and b) he had the lowest point total because he couldn't compete economically.

Edit: The game is still quite fun, but IMO could be more fun if Top Hat were handled differently.
P.S. I just read the rules linked via the KS. The Entrepreneur card has a Top Hat symbol in the rules - my POD player card didn't. Just an observation.
(recent edit to fix typo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like you're thinking of this as a longer game than it is. It seems like it would only be a matter of time if you're playing to ten buildings. In a race to four buildings and a random draw, not everyone should have time to get one.

On the other hand, almost a third of the cards do have a top hat. Also, you're actually playing it, and I'm armchair analyzing it. You have a much better view if it's a problem than I do. Let me know how it stands up over repeated plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had read the rule completely the other way around and had taken it to mean that cards with a top hat on them were open to other players to use for free - public buildings in effect even if owned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 5 games of 2-4p now, and I have had one person complain about the top hat for a similar reason. I personally find that it does remove the strategic element for shutting your opponent out, but like it was stated, it adds the strategic element of choosing top hat over another, more beneficial building (like anchor or coin).

I don't think it removes too much from the game, because you can certainly win without it. This boils down to whether or not you like to deny your opponent or work toward your own ends (personal taste, basically).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeOldMate wrote:
I had read the rule completely the other way around and had taken it to mean that cards with a top hat on them were open to other players to use for free - public buildings in effect even if owned.

Interesting idea, but that should make the building less rather than more valuable, since it potentially loses you income. All symbols are supposed to help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.