Subject: starting aircraft placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Things are chaotic enough, do you think we can eliminate the d20 starting aircraft placement and use the original rules instead (for the better)? I mean, the ability to plan our flight and get to the target is the purpose of the game, right? I ask because I plan to get CC (for the sake of dealing with Insanity) but I guess this is the main thing that turns me off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a solitaire game, there's exactly one person who has to be happy with your decision to modify a procedure like that.

CC is supposed to be a little disorienting, so I think this is a nice touch. It also creates a new challenge. I think we all typically choose an entry point at the same time we choose some of the weapons, eg to stay out of range of the more dangerous sites until we can eliminate them with stand off weapons, etc. Having to plan so that wherever we end up we can survive the first shots and between movement and firing make ourselves a safe space is an extra puzzle.

Changing it could certainly make the game more fun for some, but since it makes it easier you have to worry about balance. CC doesn't have any optional rules, but, making a completely wild guess (I haven't played CC yet, gotta fix that) you might charge yourself 2/4/6 or 3/6/9 SO for the extra equipment and meditation necessary to choose your start location.

Certainly don't miss out on such a spectacularly esoteric game as this over one rule like the d20 start location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Expansion still makes sense if you don't use D20 for aircraft placement.

You may also make it more random eg. place all squadron at random in any Pre-Approach Area.

I've read some official commenets from DVG and they allow players for homemade rules.

And as Andrew said:
Quote:
It's a solitaire game, there's exactly one person who has to be happy with your decision to modify a procedure like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a little problem with this idea.

This is very thematical rule in extreme thematical expansion. I understand irritation, but irritation is the thing Ancient Ones deal with us. If you don't want it why even bother to buy expansion?

Maybe you shouldn't use die to attack and always use expected values 5 and 6 alternately? Attack die also ruins your plan sometimes, right? Nonsense? Yes, but exactly the same is your idea, don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
If this is supposed to be a "just for fun" expansion, fine. If it's meant to achieve results, I don't know. Have anyone played enough of it that can tell me your best results?

I know some people play strictly to every rule in the game--excellent; and I know I'm not the only one that's not a fan of this particular rule, that's why I'm asking around what you think about this "house rule" (if I may call it). Anyway, the game's on the way and I'll see how things works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have the CC expansion, but I'd probably try it out with the RAW for a few campaigns. If I felt the chaos was too much, I think
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
has a good first variant to try (doing 1 roll for placing the entire squadron is good). Or if you would normally enter your aircraft in 2+ Standoff Areas, you roll for and place each group.

Another idea: roll on some chart that tells you where they actually end up. Maybe something like this:

Choose where you would normally appear over target then roll 1d10 for each aircraft:
8-10: On Target
6-7: 1 Area away
4-5: 2 Areas away
2-3: 3 Areas away
1 : 4 Areas away

Randomly determine which area, excluding the Target Area, among those within the specified range of your intended Standoff Area that the aircraft appears.

Final idea: create a chart weighted so that an aircraft is more likely to appear near to where you intended to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christel Puech
France
Sauve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much chaos in a non-euclidean universe ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.