Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Shinobi be played literally any time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ginkgo Biloba
United States
California
flag msg tools
We got into an argument because I got the card that lets you pick a new base card, and so I swapped the base card and played my minion and it came out to the amount of the base card I had picked, so I assumed I'd scored that base. He tried to then play Shinobi, saying that it didn't matter that I'd gotten the cards down, and that Shinobi can be played anytime, even in the middle of my turn. Is this really true? I did put my minion (and extra minion from the card) down before I'd chosen the new base, but even if I had done it in order, can he really play Shinobi in the middle of my turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GinkgoBilobie wrote:
We got into an argument because I got the card that lets you pick a new base card, and so I swapped the base card and played my minion and it came out to the amount of the base card I had picked, so I assumed I'd scored that base. He tried to then play Shinobi, saying that it didn't matter that I'd gotten the cards down, and that Shinobi can be played anytime, even in the middle of my turn. Is this really true? I did put my minion (and extra minion from the card) down before I'd chosen the new base, but even if I had done it in order, can he really play Shinobi in the middle of my turn?

Shinobi can be played, as a special, whenever a base is eligible for scoring, regardless of whose turn it is when the base is eligible. You only check for base eligibility when the player whose turn it is finishes playing his minion(s)/action(s), so it doesn't matter what order you do things as long as the end result is that a base is eligible for scoring. Based on your testimony, your friend played Shinobi correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, i hate facing the ninjas. always bear in mind that they can do that and steal the base from you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably need to reread the rule book description of Special cards, in the Terms and Restrictions section. Special cards are played at abnormal times, or in abnormal ways. Each one says what is special about it. In Shinobi's case, it can be played "before a base scores", which means after a base is chosen to be scored, but before Victory Points are awarded -- as described in the section about scoring.

So:

No, Shinobi cannot be played literally any time -- just during the owner's Play Cards phase, or before a base scores.

Yes, it can be played in the middle of your turn -- if you have just chosen a base to score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Vazquez
United States
Imperial
California
flag msg tools
Remember that a base only scores AFTER all minions and actions have been played.

That's when you perform the "Check for scoring" phase of the turn. This is the ONLY phase which Shinobi can be played, actually, as a Special.

So, no, your friend can't play Shinobi "any time" but he did play it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.