Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night members of the First Minnesota played our first game of THE THING. It had taken me more than a week to put the game together, printing out the files and making the cards and whatnot. But in the end I was pretty happy with my okay copy of THE THING.

The beginning (the players getting their feet wet. Figuring out where who goes where and deicing early that yes indeed Clark is a Thing don't take him along to fix the helicopter:

The First Minnesota hard at work (we had a five player game going):

The game in action. As the Thing Player, in the initial set up I had placed two HUMAN cards under the NPCs, the PCs then moved the one off of Gary onto Fulchs, and then the next turn I had placed another one (Human card) under Gary (the 2d6 guy) and they were convinced the whole game Gary and Fulchs were Infected, even putting tokens on the guys to remember, that these guys are not to be trusted! Oh, I love it.

Half way through the game all the players had Suspicion cards under them (two of them actually PC-Things and two of them the good guys).

At some point you just have to take your chances with infected NPCS:

It was a close game, a little chaotic at times with 5 people playing, all for the first time, but it ended with a skin of their teeth human win:

The Thing players had a chance to win, but some miscommunication, and some first time play mistakes prevented the Things from winning. But overall we had a great time playing. Lots of paranoia and lots of hard decisions to make for the humans. Hopefully we'll get it to the table next week as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looks like a fun game! Thanks for the report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the Artscow version, but really like your oversized location cards. Where did you get those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Gordo for putting the game/event together. And, thanks for GM'ing the game (not one of the other players, including myself, ever even had to crack the rulebook). Your overview of the game was very good - and we were off and running within 15 min.

The game was fun. And, even funner as one of the two remaining humans to thwart you and your evil thing low roader fellow travelers from colonizing our little planet: I do think we humans were exiled here - so far away from anyone/anything else - since, we spread like a virus if we are not constrained...maybe, we're the thing/the borg (cue evil laugh).. .

Still can't believe we (Team Human) had two frickin traitors among the players (can one really ever trust a pilot or mechanic?). But, boy, did we burn them up real good. Nice to hear the traitors squeal. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
general hoth wrote:
Interested too!

That's how the files printed them out. The files in the BGG page printed them out that way, then I just spray glued them to some thick paper/board and cut them out. Very easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
QUESTION:

I understand the rules on how the WAIT AND SEE…BURN part of the game goes. But when we played at the end we had 2 human players and a PC-Thing. So of course the humans picked BURN and the PC-Thing picks Wait and See. Humans win.

But…thematically, or realistically how does that work? Technically, at that point all of the 3 remaining players had Suspicion cards/possible infection cards under them. So in a "real world" they would all be suspicious of each other, do they burn the place down and the PC-Thing just being close to the fire freaks out and turns into a Thing and dies? OR do the two human players who played BURN, get together, knowing the 3rd player has mentioned he wants to WAIT AND SEE, and then secretly torch the 3rd player before he knows what is what? (some of us had questions on how exactly that works).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always assumed that if you pick burn, then you are saving the human race by committing suicide.

Of course if there were no Things amongst you, when you do blow the place up, it is a kind-of pointless waste of the humans lives and so the Humans lose.

In the movie, with just 2 survivors left and no sign of a rescue team until Spring (which means your dead anyway) then if I was human, I think the best course of action, would have been to blow us both up. Firstly why take the chance the other isn't a thing and secondly its quicker than freezing to death.

I think what would have worked better in the film thematically, was if Windows had managed to make radio contact and a rescue team was on its way.

That way, it would have been more of a dilemma for the survivors, since they would have still had a chance of surviving but if they had got it wrong, about their fellow survivor, it would be the end of humanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could do something where all the survivors write down their intentions - burn or wait - and then reveal simultaneously.

-----

Is The Thing on Netflix? If so, guess I know what we're watching late tonight. Maybe a double feature with Ice Station Zebra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Maybe you could do something where all the survivors write down their intentions - burn or wait - and then reveal simultaneously.

-----

Is The Thing on Netflix? If so, guess I know what we're watching late tonight. Maybe a double feature with Ice Station Zebra.

@Kevin, that makes sense. I was trying to describe it to one of the guys who we played with and couldn't come up with a reason.

Dr, I think that is the way it is supposed to go. When we played, I think you guys did that, each of you picked either Burn or Wait, but I don't think we did it simultaneously, you did it one at a time.

----------

Yeah the end of the game was close, because right before this we had done the Blood Test and had revealed a PC-Thing, who attacked and was defeated. The other PC-Thing refused. Then with the Helicopter the PCs went to the Wait and See and Burn encounter, the players were convinced that 2 out of the 3 NPCs were things, when in fact none of the remaining NPCs were. So if the PC-thing had attacked and probably would have died, the Humans would have lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually watched The Thing last night: thumbs up. Yes, we need Kurt Russell's hat the next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Actually watched The Thing last night: thumbs up. Yes, we need Kurt Russell's hat the next time we play.

I was going to tell someone to bring a El Capitan hat. next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You referring to that crazy brown sombrero that Russel had - or something else (I may have missed something)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you very much but it looks like your locations are WAY bigger than mine.
which files did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What we need is a scale model of the camp + the Swede's ("The Norwegians!") camp & site - or possibly a map...and a few figures/miniatures....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
You referring to that crazy brown sombrero that Russel had - or something else (I may have missed something)?

Yes, the crazy sombrero.

The files are on the The Thing BGG page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
The files are on the The Thing BGG page.
Are there separate files for the 5-6 player The Things expansion? Maybe that's the source of the biggger location and expedition cards? Great write up of a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are killing me.

Link to the large Task Cards: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/75282/the-thing-redux-part...

It's in the Files Section, "The Thing: Redux, parts 1-8."

The 5-6 player expansion is under The Things BGG page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
So which two characters were the infected at game start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky (the cook on roller skates) and mr.2d6 (the colonel?). Diabolical GM put human cards on them and thru us for a loop. We suspected they had been infected - at least Mr.2d6 - the entire game. Very sneaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
So which two characters were the infected at game start?

Yeah, I placed two human cards to start, one under Gary (the 2d6 guy), and Nauls(?) the lucky guy, I think. Then the players had that card that moved the infection card from Gary to Fulchs, and then I placed another Human infection card under Gary again. They were absolutely convinced I wanted Gary out of action and had placed another Infection card under him, so they had left Gary and Fulchs out of everything. And later they had thought Palmer was innocent and had used him twice, once nothing happened, and the second time I attacked. So the players were itching to get to the Wait and See part, so they completed the Helicopter Task and went to the final Wait and See part, they thought they had it easy, knowing two of the NPCs were infected, and when they burnt the place, found all the NPCs were human and it was only one of the other players who was a thing and thus won.

It was probably a mistake on my part to infect two players. As the Thing player it takes some strategy to think about how you want to go about it. Infect a lot early and if the players make it to Wait and See and you are screwed. Infect too little then you don't have allies and can't effectively attack the players. I originally thought the Thing player gets too many destroy Tasks cards, but I guess if the players get lucky with dice rolling they could complete them quick and the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="patton55"]You guys are killing me.

Lol.

Probably because you have posted the first AAR with pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.