8 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: List critique needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Verhoeven
Belgium
flag msg tools
So I'm participating in a tournament tomorrow, and I can't decide on which list I want to play. I have access to b-wings and HWKs, but I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet so I am a bit wary of using them.

List 1:
Garven Dreis
rookie pilot
dutch vander + ion cannon turret
gold squadron pilot + ion cannon turret

List 2:
Han solo + gunner+ marksmanship + chewbacca
2 rookie pilots

List 3:
wedge antilles + push the limit + r2
biggs darklighter
2 rookie pilots

List 4:
Biggs darklighter
rookie pilot
2 dagger squadron pilots + advanced sensors

In the last tournament I used a variant of list 1 (added 2 r5 mechs), but I got no use out of them so I was thinking of just running it as a 98 point list to frequently get the initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These are all pretty solid lists, I think any of them could do well. You've got a couple of the standard tournament squad formats (Han + 2 fighters, XXBB, etc) so really go with any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the first one best. (2x 2y) I like the idea of 2 ionners, also of having dutch and garven in the same squad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Simon Verhoeven wrote:
So I'm participating in a tournament tomorrow, and I can't decide on which list I want to play. I have access to b-wings and HWKs, but I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet so I am a bit wary of using them.

List 1:
Garven Dreis
rookie pilot
dutch vander + ion cannon turret
gold squadron pilot + ion cannon turret

I don't like this. If Garven is coming with others he either 1( uses his focus to attack and is a sitting duck for the enemy fire) or 2( doesn't use his ability in attack in which case enemy will probably just shoot lower PS dudes ). So in order for him to get his ability to use he would have to flank & shoot from right angle, but close enough to battle anyway to pass his focus. Usually Garven flies with Biggs in which case its easy to see that enemy is shooting Biggs & pass extra focus to him.

Also there is a lot action passing (Garven & Dutch) & ion control in the same list. Usually targets that are very vulnerable to ion fire don't need all focuses & TLs ready. You need only 1 hit with ions. So if you are hunting for example Bs I feel there is a waste of points to extra actions.

Simon Verhoeven wrote:
List 2:
2 rookie pilots

Marksmanship isn't genally viewed as a good upgrade. At least I don't see it in any succesful players lists (at vassal tourney those are public). More common is to enchance Y-1300s manouverability like adding "Expert Handling" there (and point left for Millenium Falcon (I've seen people trust Han + Gunner to hit & just take Evade for the Falcon for extra HP / round). Another common thing to do here is drop Chewbacca and replace Rookie with Biggs.

Simon Verhoeven wrote:
List 3:
wedge antilles + push the limit + r2
biggs darklighter
2 rookie pilots

Solid list. Wedge & rookies hit hard, Biggs flies 1 range behind them & keeps his focus for defense (& knows when to flee).

Simon Verhoeven wrote:
List 4:
Biggs darklighter
rookie pilot
2 dagger squadron pilots + advanced sensors

Very good list. As this is Paul Heaver's last year list there are many videos how to fly this well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Wittwer
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marksmanship is actually pretty common on Han+Gunner since it provides the focus effect for both attacks. Dropping Chewbacca would also free points to go with a Blue Squadron B-Wing and Advanced Sensors instead of one Rookie.

I've tried a Garven+Dutch list. The problem is that, as soon as one of them loses an action (by bumping into stuff or due to stress) you effectively lose two actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Quote:
Quote:
Simon Verhoeven wrote:
List 2:
2 rookie pilots

Marksmanship isn't genally viewed as a good upgrade. At least I don't see it in any succesful players lists (at vassal tourney those are public).

I just placed in the top 4 of a local tournament today with this exact list. It's brutal - especially against smaller 'elite' TIE swarms.

The evade granted by the unique falcon title is a waste of points *in this configuration* imho - preventing 1x hit per turn from 1x of 4-7+ attacks just isn't effective. Especially when the trade off (losing Marksmanship) means that you are far less likely to kill a TIE per turn with Han. (Even more so if your opponent sits Carnor Jax close enough to prevent you using evade or focus tokens).

The falcon title is great on a 'tank' build (usually something involving Chewbacca) where you want the ship to absorb as much damage as possible, but 'Han Shoots First' is all about dealing damage hard and fast. It's aggressive, not defensive.

Yes, that makes it a little more of a 'Glass Cannon' - but the YT is still as tough as old boots, and Marksmanship makes a drastic improvement to the damage output.

Keep the ship off of obstacles so you don't miss attacks and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
With more Interceptors floating around due to Imperial aces, Marksmanship falcons with a gunner are a nightmare for them to fly against! Gratz on getting a ship!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks! Really enjoyed the day and had loads of fun with the list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.