Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all --

Just helping a buddy write some rules for his game.

Is there a common understanding of the difference between a round and a turn?

In my mind, there are several rounds in a turn.
In his mind, there are several turns in a round.

(I am by no means sure of my definition. Just seems that way in my mind.)

Anyone have an answer?
Or does the relationship between the two vary from game to game?

Any insights appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, one of two variants is used:

VARIANT A
A single round contains one turn for each player.
Sometimes a turn is divided into phases to organize the order in which a player can/must do things.
A turn is complete once a player has gone through all his phases or passed his turn to the next player.
A round is complete once all players have had a turn.

Example:
ROUND 1
---Player A's turn
-----Phase 1 "Draw"
-----Phase 2 "Move"
-----Phase 3 "Spend"
---Player B's turn
-----Phase 1 "Draw"
-----Phase 2 "Move"
-----Phase 3 "Spend"

ROUND 2
---Player A's turn
-----Phase 1 "Draw"
-----Phase 2 "Move"
-----Phase 3 "Spend"
---Player B's turn
-----Phase 1 "Draw"
-----Phase 2 "Move"
-----Phase 3 "Spend"

VARIANT B
A round is divided into several phases.
Each phase, all players get one turn to act.
A turn is when a single player can act.
A phase is complete once each player has had a turn in that phase.
A round is complete once all phases are done.

Example:
ROUND 1
--Phase 1 "Draw"
------Player A's turn
------Player B's turn
--Phase 2 "Move"
------Player A's turn
------Player B's turn
--Phase 3 "Spend"
------Player A's turn
------Player B's turn

ROUND 2
--Phase 1 "Draw"
------Player A
------Player B
--Phase 2 "Move"
------Player A
------Player B
--Phase 3 "Spend"
------Player A
------Player B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make things more confusing: In Twilight Struggle, there are 10 games turns, broken into a headline phase and 6 or more action rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Just to make things more confusing: In Twilight Struggle, there are 10 games turns, broken into a headline phase and 6 or more action rounds.

This looks like a VARIANT B setup. Notice the complicated use of adjectives here. "game turn", as opposed to "turn", and "action round" as opposed to "round". These are not typical uses of these terms and I don't recommend using them for inspiration if this is your first rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuff may or may not happen during round 6, but you can do this or that 'on your turn'. It therefore follows that a round may consist of multiple turns (and not the other way around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rarely is the phrase, "Whose round is it?" uttered during a game. At least not in my experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newsguy wrote:
Is there a common understanding of the difference between a round and a turn?

In my mind, there are several rounds in a turn.
In his mind, there are several turns in a round.

I'm with your friend.

The only example of your way that I can think of off the top of my head is Advanced Dungeons and Dragons second edition where there were 10 rounds of combat in each turn. In each round of combat, each player would get to move and take another action, usually attacking. I think each round represented 6 seconds of game time, so a turn was a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of a round as going around the table. Each player sitting around the table gets to take their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In some games, a round consists of every player taking their turn. In other games, a turn consists of one or more rounds during which players take actions. Yes, it's confusing, and players are still likely to refer to the acting player as taking their turn even if the rules use the second set of terminology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
players are still likely to refer to the acting player as taking their turn

That's exactly the situation I'm trying to avoid, but it may be unavoidable.

Thanks a bunch for the responses, folks.
It sounds like the several-turns-in-a-round definition is the prevailing one.

I'll probably work with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm with your friend. Once each player takes their turn, that's a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Brown
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
The game I am designing has players take turn playing one or two cards. Once all the cards have been played the round is finished and cards are drawn again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never refer to a round as a single player's turn. A round is once "round" the table. A turn is "turning" to your neighbor to tell them to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
So long as you make it obvious and are consistent, people will use whatever terminology you used in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
So long as you make it obvious and are consistent, people will use whatever terminology you used in the rules.

Not if it's dumb, they won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it, there are multiple phases in a turn, and multiple turns in a round. Some rulebooks have these reversed, and those rulebooks are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will depend on what a round or a turn is in your game and often the kind of game it is,

euro's will typically have a number of turns a round, where as in ameritrash games you often talk about rounds as phases or combat rolls, hence you will much more likely have a number of rounds a turn.

Both of these are correct as your really talking about different things, if your game is a hybrid (and you have all 3 things taking place) then a common usage would be a phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aquillo wrote:
euro's will typically have a number of turns a round, where as in ameritrash games you often talk about rounds as phases or combat rolls, hence you will much more likely have a number of rounds a turn.

These are usually "combat rounds" or "action rounds", however, as opposed to "rounds" or "game rounds".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes that is correct, however it is rare they will then define what a tradition Euro would call a round as a round. Often using either turn or phase as the description
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
People are going to recognize the word "turn" from the common practice of "taking turns", where people alternate who has the privilege or responsibility of doing something. "Taking turns" isn't a game concept, it's a wide cultural thing that even non-gamers will be intimately familiar with. Children taking turns playing with the toy, a family taking turns doing the chores, etc.

So a "turn" can only reasonably mean one person's opportunity to do something. I'm pretty sure that's the most common meaning in the context of board games, but even if it weren't, this is larger than games.

Conversely, I think a "round" can be almost any repeating period. Some would argue by analogy with the idiom of "making the rounds" that a "round" should include a complete cycle or circuit of some kind, but sports like boxing and wrestling have "rounds" that are basically just arbitrary periods of activity.

It seems to be fairly common for a "round" to be the period in which each player takes one turn, but there are lots of games where that's not the case, so if I were making a game that naturally breaks into some other period than that, I wouldn't hesitate to use "round" for that natural period. For example, in a worker placement game, I would tend to use "round" to mean the period over which each player places all their workers, even though each player probably takes several turns within that period (placing 1 worker each turn, then waiting for all other players to take a turn before placing the next worker).

I've seen "phases" used at many levels of grouping. They can be the parts of a turn (making them smaller than turns), or they can be major parts of the game (making them larger than turns). I've already used the term both ways in my published games.

The thing that distinguishes "phases" in my mind is that a game has different kinds of phases, each with their own rules; for example, a preparation phase, a combat phase, and a negotiation phase. So when you move to a new "phase", you're doing something different than you were in the last phase. By contrast, if a game has "rounds", every round will follow the same rules; when you move to a new "round", you're starting the next iteration of a loop.

So to sum up:

A turn is one player's opportunity to do something.

A round is something that you do over and over in a loop.

A phase is one of several different steps that are performed in succession.

None of that necessarily implies that any of these units are smaller or larger than the others; they're different in kind rather than in scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just look at how other games use the terms and how the terms are most often used I would consider to be the common understanding of the terms. Regardless, the game rules should define what each term means to that specific game.

For example, Lords of Waterdeep has each player taking a turn playing one agent at a time going around the table until all agents are played -- that's multiple turns per round of play.

Can anyone think of game examples that uses multiple rounds per turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cosgrove
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Personally, the two dominant variants (and the ones that make the most sense for me) are:

ROUNDS (Has finite number in game, and/or game length is defined by)
|
|
have many
|
|
V
TURNS (in player sequence)
|
|
have many
|
|
V
PHASES (player actions or capabilities resolved in an order)

OR

ROUNDS (Has finite number in game, and/or game length is defined by)
|
|
have many
|
|
V
PHASES (player actions or capabilities resolved in an order)
|
|
have many
|
|
V
TURNS (in player sequence)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase - Determines the rules for given gamestate
Round - A specific subset
Turn - A specific entity's call to action
Action - A choice made during a turn

To make things more complicated, pretty much everything can be nested.

Yellow Phase - Round 2 - Combat Phase - Round 1 - Player 1 turn 2 - Attack Action - Firing Round 1 - Infantry A Turn - Shoot Action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is as long as it is defined AND consistent in the rules, it frankly doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta go with your friend on this one. I've seen games use them either way - the most important thing is to make sure that the rules are consistent! If not I supposed either is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.