My 11-year old son is an avid Pokemon player, so we decided to take the plunge into the SW LCG. We managed to play our first game last night and had some questions...
1.) Example: On the objective card Jedi Training, it says "This objective contributes 1 Force icon to your side during the Force struggle." If this card has a focus token on it, for example from using it to provide resources, if this effect still active?
2.) EDGE BATTLE: Player A (attacker) has Redemption (2 Unit Damage Icons (Black), 2 Blast Damage Icons (White)) participating in the conflict. Player B (defender) has no cards participating in the conflict.
2a.) Example: Player A wins the Edge Battle. Is this what is considered an Unopposed Engagement, and Player A would do 3 Damage to the targeted objective?
2b.) Example: Player B wins the Edge Battle: The Redemption has no participating unit to target with it's Unit Damage Icons and as a result of the loss of the Edge Battle cannot use it's Blast Damage Icons, does this unit still receive a focus token?
2c.) Example: As in the previous example, Player B wins the Edge Battle...is this considered an unopposed engagement and Player A gets to do 1 point of Damage to the targeted objective?
3.) REWARD UNOPPOSED: Player A (attacker) had 4 units participating in the conflict and Player B (defender) had 1 unit participating in the conflict. Player A wins the Edge Battle. Player A strikes with a unit that has the Tactics icon and places the focus token on Player B's only participating unit.
3a.) Will Player A get to do 3 ADDITIONAL damage to the targeted objective as these last 3 strikes are unopposed? (I don't think so).
3b.) Will Player A get to do 1 ADDITIONAL damage to the targeted objective as there is at least 1 strike that is unopposed? (I don't think so).
3c.) Will Player A get to do NO ADDITIONAL damage to the targeted objective, as Player B's character has SURVIVED? (This is my guess).
4.) REWARD UNOPPOSED: Player A (attacker) had 4 units participating in the conflict and Player B (defender) had 1 unit participating in the conflict. Player A wins the Edge Battle. Player A strikes with a unit that has the Unit Damage icon and thus destroys Player B's only participating unit.
4a.) Will Player A get to do 3 ADDITIONAL damage to the targeted objective as these last 3 strikes are unopposed? (I don't think so).
4b.) Will Player A get to do 1 ADDITIONAL damage to the targeted objective as there is at least 1 strike that is unopposed? (This is my guess).
5.) FORCE COMMITMENT: Am I understanding this correctly, when a unit is Committed to the Force, the benefit is it MAY be counted in the Force Struggle, and the penalty is that when it Strikes as part of engagement it takes 2 Focus Tokens instead of 1?
6.) FORCE STRUGGLE: Am I understanding this correctly, only units that are both a.) Committed to the Force, and b.) Ready (have no focus tokens) are counted in the Force Struggle? (except for special effects of other cards such as Ancient Monument and Jedi Training)
7.) FORCE STRUGGLE: I admit I don't even know if this is possible, but if Ancient Monument somehow has a focus token placed on it, would that cancel it's effect of counting as 1 Force icon in the Force Struggle?
8.) PARTICIPATING UNITS: Can a unit with no Combat Icons, such as R2-D2 (Droid), be a participant in an engagement?
THANK YOU to anyone who took the time to read all of this...and an even bigger THANK YOU to anyone who takes the time to reply to any of these questions. I appreciate all of the assistance the BGG community provides!
1. The card will add one to the force struggle even with a focus token. Card actions are still available when focused, unless text tells you otherwise.
2. If the defender declares no defenders then the attacker automatically wins the edge battle. The attacker may play cards into the edge battle (fate cards are resolved or just play cards to get rid of them from your hand). Two damage from Redemption + 1 opposed = 3
3. If a defending unit is still involved in the engagement after the last attacking unit has dealt its unit damage then, even if the defender is focused, the attacker gets no unopposed damage.
4. The unopposed damage does not rely on the number of units. It is always one damage per unopposed engagement, UNLESS a card effect states otherwise. For example, Smugglers and Spies objective card, Raise the Stakes
6. Only cards that are unfocused and committed to the Force count in the struggle - unless card text states otherwise
7. Ancient Monument always adds one icon to force struggle unless destroyed. I cannot think of any reason why someone could place a focus token on the enhancement.
8. Any unit can be added to an engagement. R2D2 could do one unopposed damage if no defenders available and as a defender could stop the unopposed damage if not destroyed.
Addendum to #8: Even though the card has no combat icons, if R2D2 participates in an engagement, you still have to strike with him (for no effect).
And to make something clear that doesn't seem to be:
A battle ends only when every surviving participating unit on both sides is exhausted. Even a unit such as R2D2, with no icons, must be exhausted, (commonly referred to as "focused,") before the battle is concluded.