Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
"To the Banks! No, to the Approach! Actually, to the Citadel!"

Player 1's deck

Beregond, Legolas and Hama. Initial threat of 28.

3x Gandalf (Core)
3x Gondorian Spearman
3x Knight of Minas Tirith
1x Beorn
3x Veteran Axehand
3x Horn of Gondor
3x Feint
3x Thicket of Spears
3x Hail of Stones
3x Quick Strike
3x Swift Strike
3x Veteran of Nanduhirion
3x Winged Guardian
2x Citadel Plate
3x Gondorian Shield
3x Defender of Rammas
3x Watcher of the Bruinen
2x Ring Mail

Player 2's deck

Frodo Baggins, Pippin and Fatty Bolger. Initial threat of 20.

2x Light the Beacons
3x The Riddermark's Finest
3x Miruvor
3x Unexpected Courage
3x Hasty Stroke
3x A Test of Will
3x Ride to Ruin
3x Stand and Fight
3x Strength of Will
3x Emery
3x Gandalf (Core)
3x Dwarven Tomb
3x West Road Traveller
3x Hobbit-Sense
3x Westfold Horse-Breaker
3x Northern Tracker
3x White Tower Watchman

First player token to Player 1.

Mono-Tactics and Mono-Spirit. There are some treacheries seriously punishing you for running more than 1 sphere. And you badly need stuff to prevent the massing of enemies engaged with you so Thicket of Spears is the obvious pick for the tactics deck and Hobbit-Sense is the other option for the all-Hobbit deck.

Player 1's starting hand : Winged Guardian, Hail of Stones, Ring Mail, Knight of Minas Tirith x2 and Veteran of Nanduhirion.

If you don't see either Winged Guardian or Defender of Rammas, mulligan.

Player 2's starting hand : A Test of Will x2, Gandalf, Stand and Fight, Miruvor and Strength of Will.

*Mulligan*

Didn't like the fact I didn't have early playable allies there.

Player 2's new hand : Gandalf x2, Unexpected Courage x2, Dwarven Tomb and Westfold Horse-Breaker.

Setup :

The Banks, The Approach and The Citadel added to the staging area.

Round 1 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Gondorian Spearman and Player 2 draws Hobbit-Sense.

Round 1 - Planning phase

Player 1 plays Winged Guardian.
Player 2 plays Westfold Horse-Breaker.

Round 1 - Quest phase

Player 1 commits Beregond and Winged Guardian.
Player 2 commits Pippin, Fatty Bolger and Westfold Horse-Breaker.

Encounter deck reveals The Master's Malice and Orc Arsonist.

With mono-sphere decks, you actually have a treachery you can completely ignore.

Player 1 plays Hail of Stones, exhausting Legolas, Hama and Frodo Baggins to deal 3 damage to Orc Arsonist (It is killed).

That's actually a mistake born from the fact that you usually want to put as many progress tokens as possible on a quest. In that case, you need to get rid of the locations while still at Stage 1 so I shouldn't have advanced that far. I'll spend many rounds trying to work around that.

Defense of 12 to a threat of 6 = 6 progress tokens are put on Stage 1 (6/9).

Round 1 - Travel phase

Travel to The Banks.

Round 1 - Encounter phase

Nothing happens.

Round 1 - Combat phase

Nothing happens

Round 1 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 29.
Player 2's Threat = 21.

First player token is passed to Player 2 (Yes I know this might be confusing).

Round 2 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Feint and Player 2 draws Northern Tracker.

Tracker is another reason to play mono-Spirit. You can put him in play relatively quickly and with 2 ATF and DEF, he's even good for questing.

Round 2 - Planning phase

Player 2 plays Northern Tracker.
Player 1 plays Gondorian Spearman.

Round 2 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Pippin, Fatty Bolger and Northern Tracker (1 progress token put on The Approach and The Citadel).

Encounter deck reveals Scourge of Mordor (Player 1 discards Gandalf and Player 2 discards Ride to Ruin) and Orc Arsonist.

Defense of 13 to a threat of 14 = Player 1's threat to 30 and Player 2's threat to 22.

Round 2 - Travel phase

No travel.

Round 2 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Orc Arsonist (It is dealt a Shadow card).

Round 2 - Combat phase

Gondorian Spearman blocks Orc Arsonist (It is dealt 1 damage), Shadow cards are Southron Support and Haradrim Elite. Gondorian Spearman is killed.
Player 1 plays Feint targeting Orc Arsonist.

To prevent him from attacking again thanks to the Shadow card.

Legolas and Hama attack and kill Orc Arsonist, Hama retrieves Hail of Stones from the discard pile, discarding Knight of Minas Tirith. Legolas puts 2 progress tokens on The Banks.

Round 2 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 31.
Player 2's Threat = 23.
First player token is passed to Player 1.

Round 3 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Thicket of Spears and Player 2 draws Westfold Horse-Breaker.

Now both players have their insurance policy.

Round 3 - Planning phase

Player 1 plays Ring Mail on Fatty Bolger.
Player 2 plays Unexpected Courage on Legolas.

Round 3 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Fatty Bolger and Northern Tracker (1 progress token put on The Approach and The Citadel).

Here I start dancing around because I know that if I "over-quest", Stage 1 will be over and I'll have to go through Stages 3 and 4.

Encounter deck reveals Mumak and Orc Rabble.

Defense of 13 to a threat of 11 = 1 progress token is put on The Banks (It is explored and put in the Victory Display) and 1 progress token is put on Stage 1 (7/9).

Round 3 - Travel phase

Travel to The Approach.
Player 1 plays Hail of Stones, exhausting Legolas, Hama and Frodo Baggins to deal 3 damage and kill Orc Rabble.

Round 3 - Encounter phase

Nothing happens.

Round 3 - Combat phase

Nothing happens.

Round 3 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 32.
Player 2's Threat = 24.
First player token is passed to Player 2.

Round 4 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Watcher of the Bruinen and Player 2 draws Stand and Fight.

Round 4 - Planning phase

Player 2 plays Westfold Horse-Breaker.
Player 1 plays Watcher of the Bruinen.

Round 4 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Pippin, Fatty Bolger, Northern Tracker (1 progress token put on The Citadel) and Westfold Horse-Breaker.

Encounter deck reveals Orc Vanguard and Southron Mercenaries.

Vanguard is such an annoyance too. I had a plan to reclaim Ride to Ruin with Dwarven Tomb to get rid of The Approach and be able to travel to The Citadel but so much for that.

Defense of 15 to a threat of 11 = 4 progress tokens are put on The Approach.

Round 4 - Travel phase

No travel.

Round 4 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Southron Mercenaries.
Player 2 engages Orc Vanguard.

Round 4 - Combat phase

Westfold Horse-Breaker blocks Orc Vanguard, Shadow card is Orc Scramblers (2 damage are dealt to The Citadel), Westfold Horse-Breaker is killed.
Southron Mercenaries attack undefended, Shadow card is Siege Raft, 5 damage are dealt to The Approach.
Legolas and Frodo Baggins attack Orc Vanguard, it is dealt 1 damage.
Legolas is readied using Unexpected Courage.
Legolas and Hama attack and kill Southron Mercenaries, 1 progress token is put on The Approach (It is explored and put into the Victory Display) and 1 progress token is put on Stage 1 (8/9).

Round 4 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 32.
Player 2's Threat = 24.

Round 5 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Defender of Rammas and Player 2 draws Hasty Stroke.

Round 5 - Planning phase

Nothing happens.

Round 5 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Pippin and Northern Tracker (1 progress token is put on The Citadel).

Here, I assume there's a 50/50 chance I won't be able to travel to The Citadel because I'll clear Stage 1 too soon.

Encounter deck reveals The Power of Mordor (Player 1's threat to 35 and Player 2's threat to 27), Mumak and The Citadel are shuffled into the encounter deck and Battering Ram is revealed (Player 1's threat to 37 and Player 2's threat to 29) as well as Orc Scramblers surging into Orc Rabble. 2nd encounter card revealed is Southron Mercenaries.

Woah, okay.

Defense of 11 to a threat of 7 = 4 progress tokens are put on Stage 1, it is completed. Stage 4 is revealed.

Round 5 - Travel phase

No travel.

Round 5 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Orc Rabble.
Southron Mercenaries engage Player 1.
Orc Scramblers engage Player 2
Battering Ram engages Player 1.

Round 5 - Combat phase

Player 1 plays Thicket of Spears targeting Player 1.
Westfold Horse-Breaker blocks Orc Vanguard, Shadow card is Orc Vanguard, the other 2 Shadow cards are Orc Scramblers (+2 ATK) and Siege Raft (+2 ATK). Westfold Horse-Breaker is killed.

Horribly, I might add.

Fatty Bolger blocks Orc Scramblers, Shadow card is Scourge of Mordor (+1 ATK) and the other Shadow card is Orc War Camp (+2 ATK). Fatty Bolger is dealt 2 damage.
Legolas and Watcher of Bruinen attack and kill Orc Rabble (Shadow card is Southron Support), 2 progress tokens are put on Stage 4 (2/5).
Legolas and Hama attack and kill Southron Mercenaries (Shadow card was Mumak), 2 progress tokens are put on Stage 4 (4/5).
Thicket of Spears is brought back to Player 1's hand (Veteran of Nanduhirion is discarded).
Player 2 plays Stand and Fight, bringing Knight of Minas Tirith into play under his control.
Knight of Minas Tirith attacks and kills Orc Scramblers.
Shadow card on Battering Ram was Southron Mercenaries.

Round 5 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 38.
Player 2's Threat = 30.

Round 6 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Knight of Minas Tirith and Player 2 draws Ride to Ruin.

Round 6 - Planning phase

Nothing happens.

Round 6 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Fatty Bolger and Northern Tracker.

Encounter deck reveals Orc Rabble and Battering Ram (Player 1's threat to 40 and Player 2's threat to 32).

Defense of 13 to a threat of 9 = 4 progress tokens are put on Stage 4, it is completed. Stage 5 is revealed, revealing Haradrim Elite.

Haradrim Elite attacks Player 2. Frodo Baggins blocks him, Shadow card is Orc Arbalesters, Player 2's threat to 36.
Encounter deck also reveals Battering Ram (Player 1's threat to 42 and Player 2's threat to 38).

Round 6 - Travel phase

No travel.

Round 6 - Encounter phase

Player 2 engages Battering Ram.
Player 1 engages Haradrim Elite.
Battering Ram engages Player 2.
Orc Rabble engages Player 1.

Round 6 - Combat phase

Player 2 plays Hobbit-Sense.
Legolas and Watcher of the Bruinen attack and kill Orc Rabble (Shadow card was Orc Arsonist), 2 progress tokens are put on Stage 5 (2/15).
Legolas and Hama attack and kill Haradrim Elite (Shadow card was The Citadel), 2 progress tokens are put on Stage 5 (4/15), Thicket of Spears is returned to Player 1's hand (Knight of Minas Tirith is discarded).
Discarded Shadow cards were The Master's Malice, Orc War Camp, Orc Assault and Orc Arbalesters.

Round 6 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 43.
Player 2's Threat = 39.

Round 7 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Veteran of Naduhirion and Player 2 draws Dwarven Tomb.

Round 7 - Planning phase

Player 2 plays Gandalf, dealing 4 damage to Orc Vanguard and killing it.

Round 7 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Gandalf and Fatty Bolger.

Here, it's funny because I know there 3 cards left in the encounter deck : Orc Assault, Lieutenant of Mordor and Orc Arbalesters. The top card of the encounter discard is Orc Assault so it's not looking that good.

Encounter deck reveals Lieutenant of Mordor (Orc Assault is resolved) and Orc Arbalesters.

Probably not the worst combo that could happen. Another Orc Assault would have been worse.

Defense of 7 to a threat of 4 = 3 progress tokens are put on Stage 5 (7/15).

Round 7 - Travel phase

No travel.

Round 7 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Lieutenant of Mordor.
Orc Arbalesters engage Player 1.

Round 7 - Combat phase

Knight of Minas Tirith blocks Battering Ram and is killed.
Northern Tracker blocks Battering Ram and is killed.
Hama attacks Lieutenant of Mordor, Thicket of Spears is returned to Player 1's hand, Veteran of Nanduhirion is discarded.
Shadow card on Lieutenant of Mordor was Orc Assault.

Round 7 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 44.
Player 2's Threat = 40.
Gandalf is discarded from play.

Round 8 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Swift Strike and Player 2 draws Hasty Stroke.

Round 8 - Planning phase

Player 1 plays Defender of Rammas.

Round 8 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Fatty Bolger.
Player 1 commits Beregond, Winged Guardian and Defender of Rammas.

I decide to pretty much go all in. A few specific scenarios might screw me but I think if they happen, I will still be able to survive another round anyway.

Encounter deck reveals Orc Rabble and Haradrim Elite.
Haradrim Elite attacks Player 2, Frodo Baggins blocks them, Shadow card is Orc Arsonist (Countered by Player 2's Hasty Stroke), Player 2's threat to 42.

Defense of 15 to a threat of 5 = 10 progress tokens are put on Stage 5 = GAME OVER!

Final score

Player 1's threat = 44 = 44.
Player 2's threat = 42 = 42.
7 complete rounds = 70.
2 wounds = 2.
-3 VPs.

What I like the most about this scenario is the flavor. 3 places are being attacked and it captures the essence of the "active location" very nicely. You have to decide where you'll put your priorities, knowing that should you do too well, the final stage will be a battle instead of a siege, thus messing up pretty much all your deck strategy. There are many ways around it, I know some people just let the locations die and use the extra time to build up their strength, that must be a cool strategy as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you have your information from an official source, but I'm not so sure that you can't remove quest cards if you've moved past 1b. There's nothing about removing the quest cards on 1a or 1b; that rule is on each location (Banks, Approach, Citadel). They all say to "remove stage X from the quest deck, if able." Even the quest that you're currently on is part of the quest deck, though, from what I've been able to see in the rulebook.

I'd play that, were I on stage 4 when the Citadel was explored, I'd remove it and move immediately to stage 5.

(Incidentally, I played this quest with a friend last night, using not-purpose-built decks. We played on Easy mode, and still got destroyed. Twice. There are some mean cards in there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I just presumed that, both from a thematic (If there's a breach then it's too late as the enemies start pouring in) and gaming standpoint (I thought the quest "deck" was the one set aside at the beginning of the game).

As you can see, it didn't matter in my case, as the dreaded Treachery that shuffles everything in the staging area back in the encounter deck got rid of The Citadel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.