Two Rooms and a Boom» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game with 9-10 people as good as Resistance at 7 people? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite number for Resistance is at 7 people, and I'm very interested in trying out this game; however, I can only gather 9-10 people maximum. Would you still say that this game is still fun? My boardgaming group loves resistance so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer, no. The game is different with 10 players or less, because it's three rounds and lacks color sharing. That second rule makes several roles, like Spy and Coy, unusable. The 11+ player game is much more involved. Ideal numbers result in an odd number of players in a room, so 14, 18, 22.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trakky wrote:
My favourite number for Resistance is at 7 people, and I'm very interested in trying out this game; however, I can only gather 9-10 people maximum. Would you still say that this game is still fun? My boardgaming group loves resistance so much.

I like resistance more but this game is a very different experience from resistance. This game is still solid with 6 players, but it isn't a substitution for resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd agree, if you've got less than 10 then resistance is the go, more than 10 (and personally i feel you need 14 or more to make it shine) then two rooms is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
aquillo wrote:
i'd agree, if you've got less than 10 then resistance is the go, more than 10 (and personally i feel you need 14 or more to make it shine) then two rooms is great

Well, this is fine if you are looking for this instead of resistance. 2R1B is more party, resistance is more game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt C
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trakky wrote:

Yes. I would play this over resistance at that player count. My group has 9-10 players somewhat frequently, so we've tried a lot of role sets in this range.

I like the lack of colour reveals for this player number. Plus you can play 3 rounds if you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Well, this is fine if you are looking for this instead of resistance. 2R1B is more party, resistance is more game.

As was said, the game is mainly different. This game is much faster than the resistance, and so it's just different. But keep in mind, you can play several games of this in the time it takes to play one resistance game, and it still has a surprising amount of depth.

The 9-10 version is good; I recommend playing with "on card share" effects like the Hot Potato or the Criminal if you play without color shares. I also think it's a good number for the Agent. I also recommend playing 3 round games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is fine at 6-10, but Resistance is better at 5-10 than 2R1B is at 6-10. 2R1B really shies with 11-14 (because at 14, you have two rooms at 7 which very closely resembles the 4v3 nature of a Resistance game).

If you don't like Resistance at 9-10 because Evil always wins, then I strongly recommend either Blood Bound or One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Blood Bound is a fantastic design at 8-10, and especially at 9, and One Night is actually amazing at all player counts, including even 3, if you know the right rolesets to use.

These are the games you probably want to look into, although owning a copy of Two Room is always good for when you have more than 10 people, which is where a lot of social deduction games top out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Duran
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone visits Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/26zq8j/two_rooms...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
longlivesquare wrote:
Square, you're doing it wrong. Link the ignorant reddit masses to this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to say yes. I play this game a lot amongst five other friends, (sometimes 7). We play with colours, spies, and a self made mastermind card. It works well enough to supply us with over 100 games of manipulative fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, always play with no whispers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hal 2000 wrote:
I am going to say yes. I play this game a lot amongst five other friends, (sometimes 7). We play with colours, spies, and a self made mastermind card. It works well enough to supply us with over 100 games of manipulative fun.
Roleset? I agree, if you add mastermind it probably makes the game better but most MM cards have usability issues. You play with privacy promise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Hal 2000 wrote:
Roleset? I agree, if you add mastermind it probably makes the game better but most MM cards have usability issues. You play with privacy promise?

Privacy promise
No whispers

President
Bomber
Doctor
Engineer
R spy
B spy
Mastermind (7th player)
Hot potato (if we hit 8 occasionaly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
When you've got no time, you're gonna want it back
badge
When you feel this light, when you feel this happy, you're gonna act so bad
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like Resistance, but it can be very good with low player counts. And you can do multiple games of it in time of one Resistance game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.