Marc August
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys I'm kinda new (Really a noob) in the board gaming community, and my collection is just starting with a few Strategy games. The thing is, I have in mind Descent the Second Edition for my next game, but I've read almost everywhere that it has some balancing issues here and there, and even some that make it boring or unfair through the campaign.

Another problem is that I live in Paraguay (South America), and bringing heavy games almost make them cost twice, so I need to make no mistakes about it.

Therefore, I would really appreciate the help of the long-time players and the new ones to it.

PD. We have never played a dungeon crawl before wow But my gaming group is very cohesive and pretty much uniform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new user here, the best advice I can give you is to always post in the specific game forum you are discussing. This almost guarantees you an accurate answer in minutes.

post here http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1064194/descent-journeys-in-t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc August
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is some good advice. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not only was Descent my first (and only) dungeon crawl game I've played but its also one of the first games of all types that I've played. I love it. When I played in my first Campaign I thought it was unbalanced in favor of the heros...and maybe it is. But I'm currently the overlord in a campaign and we are tied with wins for the heros & overlord (me). So now I'm not so sure that it's unbalanced.

I think the overlord in the first campaign that I played was just choosing monsters poorly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Notice how none of the people who say it's imbalanced actually agree on what side has the advantage? That's how you can tell they're just talking out of their collective ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Notice how none of the people who say it's imbalanced actually agree on what side has the advantage? That's how you can tell they're just talking out of their collective ass.

This isn't truly accurate SOME people agree that the heroes have the advantage, and SOME people agree that the overlord has the advantage, depending on the quest.

It could be unbalanced, therefor, depending on the quest, and the side you're on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
It also depends on who is playing. If the person playing the bad guys happens to be way better at the game than everyone else, then it is going to seem unbalanced against the heroes. And if one or more of the heroes are playing against an inexperienced bad guy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stylianos Kalaitzis
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Even if it is unbalabced, you can always replay adding house rules to balance it. I think descent is a realy good choice for your first dungeon crawler. As your second you can consider mouse and mystics (or first if you like the childish theme)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bioworm wrote:
Even if it is unbalabced, you can always replay adding house rules to balance it.

Caaareful with that. Just saying.

bioworm wrote:
I think descent is a realy good choice for your first dungeon crawler. As your second you can consider mouse and mystics (or first if you like the childish theme)

The most important point about Mice and Mystics is that it is fully cooperative. Yes, for all players.

When I realised myself that I am missing a dungeon crawler in my collection (meaning: after dusting off HeroQuest one day, just for fun), I asked myself the very same question. After some research, I had exactly three choices:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Claustrophobia

Mice and Mystics

Plus Mansions of Madness, which I was already in love with before, but simply is not "enough" for my need of a dungeon crawler board game, as I wanted a more classical fantasy approach - hey, it's called "Dungeon Crawler", right ?

Still, check out Mansions of Madness if you like horror and/or Lovecraft.

Anyway, in the end, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) won for me. Reasons:

I personally don't really like the theme of Mice and Mystics, although it's somehow something new and fresh, which I respect and support. The story aspect is this game also gets a lot of praise and it's actually really nice (and unique ?) that it is a cooperative game.

Claustrophobia still looks interesting, as it features a very interesting game mechanism, but ultimately, it was too low-weight for me. If you like a darker theme and higher accessibility, go check it out.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) also has its flaws: no dungeon exploration you might probably expect, which means that everything (even monsters) is already placed at the very start of the round. The reason for this is, that it plays somehow more like a dungeon tactical skirmish game with two teams. In short: more focus on combat, less on exploration.

If you want to invest time in this game (which you absolutely can), you will very likely also end up investing some money in it for two reasons: seperately-sold monster lieutenant miniatures and many expansions - which is actually a good and still entirely optional thing, but can also be a problem to some players and should be mentioned.

Still, like I said, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is the game to get if you are aware and okay with these aspects.

A video tutorial and review I can recommend to you: ► http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156125/item/2609788#item26...

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
bioworm wrote:
Even if it is unbalabced, you can always replay adding house rules to balance it.

Caaareful with that. Just saying.

bioworm wrote:
I think descent is a realy good choice for your first dungeon crawler. As your second you can consider mouse and mystics (or first if you like the childish theme)

The most important point about Mice and Mystics is that it is fully cooperative. Yes, for all players.

When I realised myself that I am missing a dungeon crawler in my collection (meaning: after dusting off HeroQuest one day, just for fun), I asked myself the very same question. After some research, I had exactly three choices:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Claustrophobia

Mice and Mystics

Plus Mansions of Madness, which I was already in love with before, but simply is not "enough" for my need of a dungeon crawler board game, as I wanted a more classical fantasy approach - hey, it's called "Dungeon Crawler", right ?

Still, check out Mansions of Madness if you like horror and/or Lovecraft.

Anyway, in the end, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) won for me. Reasons:

I personally don't really like the theme of Mice and Mystics, although it's somehow something new and fresh, which I respect and support. The story aspect is this game also gets a lot of praise and it's actually really nice (and unique ?) that it is a cooperative game.

Claustrophobia still looks interesting, as it features a very interesting game mechanism, but ultimately, it was too low-weight for me. If you like a darker theme and higher accessibility, go check it out.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) also has its flaws: no dungeon exploration you might probably expect, which means that everything (even monsters) is already placed at the very start of the round. The reason for this is, that it plays somehow more like a dungeon tactical skirmish game with two teams. In short: more focus on combat, less on exploration.

If you want to invest time in this game (which you absolutely can), you will very likely also end up investing some money in it for two reasons: seperately-sold monster lieutenant miniatures and many expansions - which is actually a good and still entirely optional thing, but can also be a problem to some players and should be mentioned.

Still, like I said, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is the game to get if you are aware and okay with these aspects.

A video tutorial and review I can recommend to you: ► http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156125/item/2609788#item26...

Have fun !

Actually last night in one of the quests all of the monsters were NOT placed on the board. As doors opened they appeared on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd edition is the best dungeon crawler available even though I hate it compared to the 1st edition. I am really getting an itch for a dungeon crawler again so I'm probably going to play it more. The first time it was a major letdown after playing the 1st edition for so long. I have to check out the new stuff coming out, because it looks like it adds some more depth 2nd edition took away initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc August
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every single one of these opinions make me want it more. I really appreciate your suggestions, and if you want to continue the thread, it's here, where the discussion grows bigger.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180567/is-descent-the-2nd-e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player skill level will have a far greater effect on who wins than "quest balance." When I was a noob overlord I lost everything. Now, with some experience, nearly all quests are down to the wire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
Descent 2nd is a bad balanced race game. I can recommend Galaxy Defenders. It's also full coop. It's right now on kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/galaxy-defen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While there is a slant towards the hero players I think it is meant to be that way. Think of your role as the DM trying to give players a fun exciting experience and not trying to crush them. That being said you can still win as overlord

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.