Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Australia map three times now, and in two of those games there was no Phase 2 because the Phase 3 card appeared during Phase 1. In the other game, Phase 2 lasted a brief period of time (from the end of the building phase until the end of the bureaucracy phase.)

This seemed to be because people tried to buy the usual number of regular plants plus a few uranium mines.

Have other people observed this phenomenon, or is our group unusual?

[I know we're unusual; I'm asking whether we're unusual in having no Phase 2 or a very short one!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
This may depend on what you mean by "short", but I suspect it has more to do with the plant market than the map. If a few players have "good" plants early they may feel encouraged to delay Phase 2 and jockey for turn order. In this case the group may sit in Phase 1, and Phase 2 may be very quick. Alternatively, if just one player has an advantage s/he may go for broke and trigger Phase 2 quickly.

Does the Oz map make the first situation more likely? I am not sure- groupthink and play-style seems more likely to influence this. Uranium mines could be a factor though - extra income coupled with a delay powering larger numbers of cities might encourage the first type of play. Also connection costs might act as a brake (unless there is expansion room in the SE region) but I don't think this is particularly true of this map.

I have played 5 or 6 times on Australia. One game had no Phase 2 at all, but that happens sometimes. 5-p game last weekend: Phase 2 lasted two rounds. This does not seem unusually short to me. Two of us had nukes and were deliberately slowing expansion. Previous game on this map was 4-p and IIRC Phase 2 was 3-4 rounds

Over-all I don't think it is particularly more likely, especially compared to the Benelux or Scandinavian maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fairly common that about 70% of the game's rounds are in Phase 1. They are often quicker than rounds in Phase 2 or 3, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I'm asking whether people see a different pattern in games on the Australia map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.