Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanial Barnes
United States
Montgomery
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a collection of everything we know so far about the Matsuri expansion.

This is the initial Matsuri expansion reveal info on the Kickstarter page.
Quote:
MATSURI is an expansion that will bring new cards and tokens to the game. With this expansion, the players will live the Japanese feasts and festivals. These cards will modify the way each section of the road will be played. This won't transform the game but it will add even more depth and strategy to it in the same way that CROSSROADS did. A smart and fresh idea from Antoine to bring even more gameplay exclusive content to our fellow Samurais (and up) supporters!

Matsuri is in its early stages of development but its first playtest sessions already proved it to be a really cool addition to the game giving it a new flavor. We can't wait to show you more about it. It is worth to note also that all of the Matsuri cards will be unique and will bring dozens of new art to the game (as if the already existing was not enough). Of course, we'll show you the new work on this expansion as soon as we would be close enough to this goal to notably start the specific work on the artworks.

Here is a reply he posted to someone on the initial announcement post.
Quote:
we are talking about 20 unique cards (for the moment. It may change, as it always can be when you are designing a game). Plus some tokens and rules. So Naïade will have a lot of work to do to cover that, yes.

Another reply to some questions.
Quote:
- No need of a specific board : it's one deck of unique cards
- it's NOT dramatically affects gameplay : it add flavor and replay-value

Some more in-depth information.
Quote:
Rules are pretty simple (like always in Tokaido !) The first player who get at the Inn (#2 #3 et #4, not #1 or #5) - after everybody had a chance to eat - draw 2 of the 20 Matsuri cards, choose 1 and put the other at the bottom of the deck. So it become a little more interesting to arrive first - Exemple A : o-Tsukimi : The player choose 1 Calligraphy and put it face up with the Achievement Cards. Everybody will score points at the end for this public collective Calligraphy - Exemple B : "rice feast" During the next part of the road (until the next Inn), each player who land on a Ricefield spot get the regular card and a free coin at the Temple (scoring the 1VP for the coin") So, those Matsuri are different thematic events who will change a bit how you manage your travel...That's the idea. I think it fits well in Tokaido : thematic, very simple rules, adding replay-value and more beautiful art from Naïade (well right now my prototype is ugly...). I hope you like it. It was a long time since I played Tokaido and I'm really enjoying to work on those new features I'll try to post some prototype's pictures on my twitter soon (@toinito)

He posted this to his Twitter:
Quote:
Playtesting now Tokaido Matsuri.
In this picture we can see two new traveler cards and two Matsuri event cards. The two event cards abilities are pretty straight forward. If you land on a mountain panorama space for that stretch of the road, you take two panorama pieces. The other says if you land on a panorama space on that stretch of the road, then you get a coin as well as the panorama card. I'm still trying to correctly translate the traveler card abilities. This picture also shows the deck of Matsuri cards sitting where the drawn foods cards usually lie. This makes sense since Bauza stated there wouldn't be a new place for them, and that space isn't used much anyway since most times everyone gets to the inn one right after the other and they usually just pass the meal cards around anyway.

He also posted this picture to his Twitter:
Quote:
Tokaido Matsuri sneak peak.
This picture shows quite a few of the new Matsuri deck. We again see the one which gives out a coin for each panorama space. The panda means whenever someone lands on the rice field panorama space on that stretch of the road, a coin is donated to the temple for them. One means the shop is closed for that stretch of the road, so no one can shop until after the next inn. We see o-Tsukimi, which he previously described. A hot springs card that is partially hidden, so we can't see its effect. The money back and temple cards I still need to translate. The kitten card states that achievement cards are awarded right then instead of at the end of the game. This photo also shows quite a few prototype traveler cards.

Obviously any of this could change from now until the point of release, but I thought it would be nice to see everything they've shown so far all in one place. I myself am dying to play with the Matsuri expansion, especially with what we've seen so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuhauser
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming he knows pandas aren't native to Japan??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanial Barnes
United States
Montgomery
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is just place holder until Naiade does it all. I'm sure he knows since he quadruple checks everything to make sure it fits the Japanese theme perfectly. He even has the character names run by a Japanese native to make sure they're correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuhauser
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been really impressed by the accuracy of the foods, goods, etc. in Tokaido. That's why it struck me as a little odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neuhausr wrote:
I'm assuming he knows pandas aren't native to Japan??

True, but China has been giving Panda's to the Japanese emperor as far back as the Tang Dynasty in the 600s. Edo was in the 1600s so it's technically still on point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanial Barnes
United States
Montgomery
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryyder wrote:
True, but China has been giving Panda's to the Japanese emperor as far back as the Tang Dynasty in the 600s. Edo was in the 1600s so it's technically still on point.

Which is the whole story behind Takenoko, which Antoine Bauza also created. So it could be a sort of nod to his other game/part of history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Woods
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Matsuri just the deck of new cards, or are those new characters included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mb
brianwoods wrote:
Is Matsuri just the deck of new cards, or are those new characters included?

From the original post:

Quote:
we are talking about 20 unique cards (for the moment. It may change, as it always can be when you are designing a game). Plus some tokens and rules. So Naïade will have a lot of work to do to cover that, yes.

Of course, more characters would always be a welcome addition, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Sneak Peek :
http://www.antoinebauza.fr/?p=3457

Antoine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanial Barnes
United States
Montgomery
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a preview of 6 of the 20 Matsuri expansion cards. There's been an update on the Kickstarter page, but it's viewable by backers only and sadly I didn't find out about this amazing game until after the Kickstarter ended. So if someone can copy/paste that update here if it's anything pertinent, that would be lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted an update about Matsuri http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1347460/matsuri-expansion-de...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.