Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are going to be in Rome for a week starting June 14th. We're on the lookout for some games that never made it to the US. Are there any good game stores we should visit while in Rome?

Thanx! Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
feydjm wrote:
My wife and I are going to be in Rome for a week starting June 14th. We're on the lookout for some games that never made it to the US. Are there any good game stores we should visit while in Rome?

Thanx! Justin

Here are the shops.
Strategia e Tattica 2 in Via Massaciuccoli 78, nearest underground station Sant'Agnese/Annibaliano (blue Line). They have the space and organize gaming sessions sometimes even at evening.
Strategia Nova, the former Strategia & Tattica, in Via Niso 54, nearest underground station Furio Camillo (orange line).
Avalon Roma in Viale delle Milizie 86, nearest underground station Ottaviano (orange line).
SoloGiochi has moved in Via Valtravaglia 30/36, the nearest underground station Conca D'Oro (branch of blue Line), but it is no more so inside the town as it was before.

If you want to play there is La Civetta sul Comò in Via Cereate 8, a gaming pub, nearest underground station is San Giovanni area (orange line).

For other things, such as advice on restaurants and other interesting things, drop me a geek mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Binosi
Italy
Calvisano
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Giocofollia , via della balugina

Avalon, viale delle milizie

SoloGiochi via valtravaglia

Strategia e tattica due, via Massaciuccoli 99

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilbino wrote:
Hi

Giocofollia , via della balugina

Via della BALDUINA (near Piazza della BALDUINA)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Binosi
Italy
Calvisano
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh oh, I'm sorry

Giocofollia

Piazza della Balduina, 35
info call +39 06 3534 3713

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
ilbino wrote:
oh oh, I'm sorry

Giocofollia

Piazza della Balduina, 35
info call +39 06 3534 3713

That's a place really out of reach for tourists. That' why I don't report it, as I don't report the shop that has been opened near the Basilica San Paolo. They are out of the touristic network, so they would be a lost of time for the tourists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Benedetti
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Doppio Gioco, the shop you are referring to, lies near the metro station San Paolo (blue line, few minutes walk), which in turn is pretty close to the Piramide and Testaccio districts, both of good interest for tourists.
So it would be more easily reachable than other shops, and worthwhile too if you ask me as it's a friendly and welcoming place.

http://www.doppio-gioco.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nesti wrote:
Actually Doppio Gioco, the shop you are referring to, lies near the metro station San Paolo (blue line, few minutes walk), which in turn is pretty close to the Piramide and Testaccio districts, both of good interest for tourists.
So it would be more easily reachable than other shops, and worthwhile too if you ask me as it's a friendly and welcoming place.

Please, don't say that. Everybody can read maps and see how you are wrong. San Paolo Basilica is two underground stations away (about a mile) from the places you say are near to it, and it is a mile of residential buildings built after world war two, a thing that can be seen with google earth. So, please, don't say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Rigillo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nesti wrote:

Maybe San Paolo church itself is really worth a visit for a tourist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riccardo Rigillo wrote:
Nesti wrote:

Maybe San Paolo church itself is really worth a visit for a tourist!

I agree on this point, but besides it, there isn't anything else.
It is know as St Paul Outside the Walls since it is two kilometers outside the Aurelian Walls, and you know that all the main roman attractions are inside them.
You can tell me that in the area there is the district built under the Fascism, where was moved people living in the area on which was created Via dei Fori Imperiali. It is a type of "Edilizia Popolare" carried on by the fascism, but it is a thing for architects and you must know where it is.

I take the occasion to say that in the thread of 2008 Looking for game shops in Rome there has been a recent feed back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nesti wrote:

I DO agree with this suggestion, not only San Paolo church is a fantastic place you shall not miss, but the shop is very friendly, well refurnished with good prices and plenty of games you will not find easily in the US. The outgoing guys will make you feel very welcome indeed. Double thumbs up! And if you have some spare time meet us at WBS Games near San Peter www.wbsgames.com

Anyway and most of all enjoy your staying in our gorgeous city!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a fast note.
JRC_Firewalker wrote:
Nesti wrote:

I DO agree with this suggestion, not only San Paolo church is a fantastic place you shall not miss, but the shop is very friendly, well refurnished with good prices and plenty of games you will not find easily in the US. The outgoing guys will make you feel very welcome indeed. Double thumbs up!

As people can see through Google Earth, the area, besides the Basilica, is a touristic desert, more exactly within a mile there is nothing of real interest for common tourists. So, or the tourists in questions have a direct interests in the Basilica, or advising them such a shop could cause them the waste a lot of time.

JRC_Firewalker wrote:
And if you have some spare time meet us at WBS Games near San Peter www.wbsgames.com

I didn't know of your existence till you showed up in this thread, so I went to see where you were and saw that you are at least a kilometer away from St. Peter, on the opposite side from the Underground Station of Ottaviano that is the usual approach path of the tourists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
DPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips! Visited Avalon Roma today and they have a great collection. The store was closed when we arrived but the owner saw us (from across the street) looking in the window and opened it up for us. Super friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nasal Demon wrote:
Thanks for the tips! Visited Avalon Roma today and they have a great collection. The store was closed when we arrived but the owner saw us (from across the street) looking in the window and opened it up for us. Super friendly.

You could have asked earlier and I would have advised you a list of good and cheap restaurants too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:
Nasal Demon wrote:

You could have asked earlier and I would have advised you a list of good and cheap restaurants too.

I'm coming to Rome in November on a guys weekend away. I'm probably going to try to drag them to a games night (done that on other weekends away!).
I'll also try to get to a game shop.

But probably more important is to get that list of good and cheap restaurants. Also what would be great would be tips for fun nightlife - bars and clubs where four 40-ish English guys would have a good time. We are very well behaved I promise!

Oh, and we love live music. Especially rock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
BlackSheeper wrote:
Nasal Demon wrote:

I'm coming to Rome in November on a guys weekend away. I'm probably going to try to drag them to a games night (done that on other weekends away!).
I'll also try to get to a game shop.

But probably more important is to get that list of good and cheap restaurants. Also what would be great would be tips for fun nightlife - bars and clubs where four 40-ish English guys would have a good time. We are very well behaved I promise!

Oh, and we love live music. Especially rock!

Drop me a geekmail with your e-mail, so I send you my list of restaurants. Then, depending from the dates in which you will be downtown I will be able to advice you on places. For instance there's a shop that organize a gaming friday-night per month, but they don't have fixed the November's date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every friday night there are gaming sessions at Miles Gloriosus club www.milesgloriosus.it (the site is updated at sep 2012 but the club is still alive!) though it is a miniature gamers club they like to play boardgames too.
(www.solo-giochi.it) Sologiochi is a game shop where you can easily find game tables on saturday morning or else. Just drop a call to Daniele.

There's a con in Bracciano (near Rome) the last week-end in november where you will play everything.

Paolo....more details, please!

EDIT: external links never work to me!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:

Since I have a family, I lost all contacts with night life. But I am part of the staff of a restaurant guide. Let me know where you stay and I'll see what's handy from your hotel. Good, cheap and Italian? Or any cuisine would fit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
1000rpm wrote:

Since I have a family, I lost all contacts with night life. But I am part of the staff of a restaurant guide. Let me know where you stay and I'll see what's handy from your hotel. Good, cheap and Italian? Or any cuisine would fit?

We haven't booked our accommodation yet, will let you know that when it is sorted out. It will be somewhere central.
We'll be eating mainly Italian - it would be a crime to come to Italy and not do so! But other options would be good to know about. I'm a big seafood fan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are also fans of craft beer, so these places have caught my attention:

Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fa
Open Baladin

I haven't looked where they are.

BIG MAMA - sounds cool as a live blues club
Circolo degli Artisti - as a live rock/indie club
The Place - more live music
Fonclea - more live music

These are just from a quick look through the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at your e-mail Tony. I've sent you the restaurant list and received no error message, so it should have arrived.

1000rpm wrote:
angiolillo wrote:

Andrea, the reply to your question is that they are "a guys weekend away" so they are out to "be happy". I didn't had the chance to try that Lebanese Restaurant of which we had the chance to talk about about a year ago. It would be perfect for the "night out" spirit. Next time that we meet I will tell you which kind of restaurants are a good advice for foreign tourists.
1000rpm wrote:
We haven't booked our accommodation yet, will let you know that when it is sorted out. It will be somewhere central.

All the places that I sent are for downtown Rome, where the tourist wander around, so they should be good.
1000rpm wrote:
We'll be eating mainly Italian - it would be a crime to come to Italy and not do so! But other options would be good to know about. I'm a big seafood fan...

For fish I know a really good restaurant in the town of Fiumicino, but it is out of reach for a week end like your
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2 weeks I'll be visiting Rome for the first time, staying at the Tree Charme hotel. From what I can gather, WBS will be the closest games store?

My wife has organised everything (for our first anniversary) so I need to memorise the locations of games stores so that we can "stumble across them by pure coincidence"

I've had a look through some other, older threads too, but thought I'd pester folks here for a more up to date opinion.

Any tips for good places to eat would also be highly appreciated too!

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Coletta
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look here:
http://www.goblins.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75114&p=93...

- Avalon (viale milizie)
- Doppio Gioco ( san paolo)
- Giocofollia ( piazza balduina)
- Strategia e Tattica 2, Via Massaciuccoli 99 (zona Viale Eritrea)
- Stazione Gioco Via Gualdo Tadino, 27, 06 9437 8100
- Trovalibri, a via aurelio cotta 4
- Laboratorio, su Via Cassia 686.
- Maremoto, a Via Duilio 5
- Doppio Gioco, zona san paolo,viale leonardo da vinci 168, il loro sito è http://www.doppio-gioco.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Coletta
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Giochi :sisi:
Via Val Travaglia 30/36
fanno orario continuato.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
My wife has organised everything (for our first anniversary) so I need to memorise the locations of games stores so that we can "stumble across them by pure coincidence"

Oh, I'm lucky then! In my case it is her who "accidentally stumbles" upon boardgame shops!

Drop me a line when you're in Rome and in case you need something, I'll be happy to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.